Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    dont expect any kind of refund or cheap upgrade i would expect that they will release a diff. version of 2.0.1 in a doctor version .thats it .
    Thats all I want. The only ones going to be mad out no OTA are the ones that wont mind doctoring. I can not believe they have not said they were going to do a doctor yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by redmustanggt89 View Post
    Good letter. It is poor public relations to promise something for months and then find out you are never going to get it. My contract is up soon and I will be shopping around for a phone that has flash. It does tick me off because of all these apps I have bought. Anyone have any suggestions on a new phone. At this point I would be scared to buy anything from HP because who knows when they will come out with something new and decide not to provide updates for another product.
    1. Pre2

2. I know there are a ton of 1.5 1.6 Android devices that did not receive updates so lets not pretend like this is a WebOS problem. WebOS went from 1.0 to 1.45 they did provide updates. Now maybe those updates should have been released with 1.0 but thats a different story.
    i just can't believe how upset some of you are.

its a phone. a 2 year old phone at that. sometimes progress requires giving up backward compatability.
    Quote Originally Posted by tshile View Post

its a phone. a 2 year old phone at that. sometimes progress requires giving up backward compatability.
    +1

I am not upset because I am on sprint and have been holding on to my upgrade for about 4 months now, but I could see how someone on At&t could be when their device was released less than a year ago. Now I do not think there are many of them out there, but if I was one of them I would be upset.

The issue is not really the lack of an update - it's the fact that a publicly made promise was broken - and handled in a really sneaky way.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    The issue is not really the lack of an update - it's the fact that a publicly made promise was broken - and handled in a really sneaky way.
    Exactly!!!
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  8.    #28  
    I know it was long. It's a letter not a forum post, just reposted here to put it out there. The letter formatting was fine, it got a bit jumbled pasting it here.
    I know it sounded a bit greedy, but I expect anything I buy to be supported for the life of the product, for a phone that is two years, the length of my contract. If you're not going to support the product it should be replaced at no cost to me and since they announced the veer, pre3, and touchpad the pre2 should be considered nothing more than a stopgap replacement.
    they haven't replied, but honestly I would be shocked if they did, beyond ackowledging receipt of the letter.
    those who think it's not a big deal, I understand where you are coming from, but please keep in mind those of us who bought last summer and have well over a year left on our contracts. Spending a over a year with a 'smartphone' that is getting no new apps or os functionality upgrades is a bit unreasonable.

IMO...
    It's a nice letter. Very well written. I don't agree with all of it, but it represents much of how I feel in regards to how HP handled this process. I don't consider myself angry or mad. For some reason when the consumer makes a declaration to a comapny, usually in the form of a signed contract, that company expects you to live up to it. Of course, it doesn't go both ways. Obvioulsy they can promise you anything, yet, provide you nothing. As long as it was never placed in writing. Very little honor in the business of consumables and with a company like HP, a webOS phone is not goign to make or break them. Not even close.
    Just_Jay
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    you know when i first heard of the lack of the update i was very upset. mostly because i expected to be running 2.1 on my pre minus right now....
    but then i thought about it. I have been with this phone for almost 2 years now and i am ready to upgrade. now i am mostly mad they did not announce carriers, i am with sprint and lately there hasn't been much love between palm and sprint.

But after much thought, im ok with it. HP chose to no longer support legacy devices simply because the future they invision requires more they can handle. THink about it, they are making the product better, much better, they are not just cutting the cord.

For developers this means developing for enyo means u design one program and it will run on veer, pre 2, pre3 touchpad, and even a broswer on your laptop. think about how much connectivity and productivity this will give you. For developers to really take advantage off all of this they will have to completly rethink about what an app is and how it functions.

Think about this too, microsoft who recently released wp7 is already having issues releasing their first update for copy and paste! it was supposed to be back in Jan, now it being talked about for march!!

Yes it tough and we have become emotionally involved, but again HP is going full throttle, hiring even the best developers from our homebrew community. they are not sweeping critisizims under the rug, they are facing it and adjusting to it. Honestly if i felt what iOS and android or wp7 would fit me better i would move. to me i see true innovation coming from HP now while Apple and android are trying mostly to have their apps drive them forward.

by the end of this year we will either see a true turn around or hp will decide to license webos.. im praying for the former -=D
    Quote Originally Posted by abnimmers View Post
    could not have said it better.

Yes, could have said it better:

"Sent to you from my (new) HTC Evo...."

i dont even feel its about what we want to have for ourselfes. the main thing is webos should survive and stay (or become right now) available.

the letter clearly expresses its a matter of economic and strategic decisions that have to be taken. because the situation is really dangerous for hp now. the fact that the userbase is evaporating (and therefore statements like "i need bla bla and i need it now" exist) is just an indicator right now.

the situation viewed from the angle of a customer cant be much worse right now:

1. whats available is outdated and future support more than questionable
    2. solid supported devices are not available yet or not available to many (like me living in germany).

thats the reason why the give a way pre2s to devs but those now that their customers are the ones not being pimped with a pre2 untill availability improves.

it is so bad because on top of the unavailability there is the fragmentation of platform versions supporting mojo or enyo.

there is a huge vacuum where the market should be right now. and this is a serious problem.

only those that are relaxed enogh to wait will do so (including myself) but thats the wrong approach having set up goals like hp had.
    Have you actually mailed this to HP or Palm's corporate mailing addresses? Both are publicly available on their websites, and MULTIPLE people sharing their views in reasoned manners like this are the only thing that will change the corporate climate to get webOS 2 released to other devices.
  14.    #34  
    Sent registered mail. That's the only reason I expect them to acknowledge receipt of the letter.
    This is not just a problem with palm not updating two year old phone. I bought my pre plus less than a year ago from verizon. I have replaced my phone 5 times and my wifes 8 times because of technical problems (palm's problems).

It is not unreasonable for me to expect palm to be loyal to me over the course of my contract (especially when my one year warranty is about to expire). If they are not going to support my device then it should be replaced at no cost to me with the next best thing, a pre 2.

I don't expect them to give me two phones, but I don't think expecting a replacement device is unrealistic.
    There seems to be some confusing regarding what HP is "responsible" for VS. what is best for a Mobile OS & the Community that supports it. I'm not mad at HP for cutting off support/updates at some point, 2 years seems about right, but their delay (due to technical or financial issues) in releasing a flash-compatible version of the OS for the existing loyal user base is an understandable deal-breaker for many. If the phone was never capable of running flash, then why was it EVER sold with the promise that it could?

I believe the problem is simply, most WebOS users see what HP is doing as poor a BUSINESS strategy, and they'd just appreciate the ability to support the OS and see it succeed.

HP's issues in not having deals with providers in place, no firm (or even soft) release dates echo the original release of the Sprint Pre Minus. -> Great buzz in CES, clearly underpowered (evidently) shoddy hardware upon release.

I don't blame HP for Palm's near-miss with success, but had hoped HP was buying their own press. e.g. no advertising products you can't get, support for homebrew, a homebrew community made up of EXISTING 1.4.5 users, etc.

I want HP's WebOS to succeed, I just can't imagine there will be enough people who don't already own a WebOS phone switching to this platform (Pre3 & Touchpad) on, say, Verizon when the iPad 2 and iPhone 5 will be available first. Word of mouth of the "techie" types who gravitate toward the open-ness and customization of this Mobile OS is invaluable; ****ing off those people has and will continue to result in countless missed opportunities to give a recommendation in favor of HP.
    Very nicely worded.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    If there are no more updates, then OTA updates is a useless feature to support. I would like to see the much hyped and very nearly promised Flash and some other 2.0.x things, but the older hardware can only do so much new resource intense stuff. I hope HP is selecting quality over quantity/new sales? If we do get a 2.0.x update, I wouldn't expect any more feature updates, just bug fixes. Maybe Flash + 3G + screen on = 30 minute battery @ 100c.

I wish most of all, HP would be MORE forthcoming about what their plans are.

The more of us that visit the "Are you getting the 2.0.x update?" page, may motivate HP a little more. They did GIVE webOS internals a server.
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    How can something be both public and sneaky at the same time?
    - Bubba
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPhantasmo View Post
    I wouldn't expect any more feature updates, just bug fixes. Maybe Flash + 3G + screen on = 30 minute battery @ 100c.
    I see. So HP is supposed to write code for Adobe Flash? And you would consider that a "bug fix?" Uh huh.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPhantasmo View Post
    I wish most of all, HP would be MORE forthcoming about what their plans are.
    HP, dammit! Tell us more about your plans, dammit!!! But dammit, don't be wrong, because when you tell us what you plan to do six months from now ... well, that's a promise, dammit!! And if you change your mind or something gets in the way, well, by golly, too bad ... you owe every one of us a new phone. Not the phone we have now, but the next model. Plus, the model after that. For free, dammit. So there. So, get your crystal ball and predict the future. No, wait a minute, don't just PREDICT the future. TELL US THE CORRECT FUTURE, because we're gonna hold you to it, DAMMIT!!!
    - Bubba
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast