Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    The Real Reason old phones are not going to get the updates to to 2.x, I believe is due to the difference in processors. They aremoving forward with 3.0 and instead of spending time rewriting the old version of webos for the two year old phones they are concentrating on new everything
    I believe you are right. A lot has been done to 2.x since they first announced it. Im sure they did testing with 2.0 on older phones and Im sure they are right for doing what they did. BUT....they should give us a break and do something to make us happy since they promised it to us.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    BUT....they should give us a break and do something to make us happy since they promised it to us.
    WebOS 3.x is what they are moving to not 2.x. And they are probably killing several hardware bugs by leaving TI (that I'm sure by moving away from TI they are ending much of the bleeding from all the hardware returns).

So HP should hand off WebOS 2.x to WebOS internals and be done with it. I'd like to see a forked WebOS 2.x distribution to run on open tablets like Archos or the convertible netbooks like the Lenove S10-3T.

I love WebOS. I'd hate to see it die in HP just like many great technologies they purchased and then killed in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    ....since they promised it to us.
    THAT is the problem...
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    Just poor software engineering, knowing that they had committed to running it on current hardware, to continue down a non-compatible path.

I agree. Give it to webosinternals to make it work on current devices.
    I really don't agree with the OP's opinion of the problem...but I LOVE the solution the OP suggests. I'm sure there are reasons wh it wouldn't work, but I'd pay good money to see them try! Great idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Just poor software engineering, knowing that they had committed to running it on current hardware, to continue down a non-compatible path.
    marketing often over promises what engineering can deliver. I don't think hardware is the big issue since people are running 2.x on a Pre. It may be they don't have a way to upgrade that keeps the data and/or palm profile from getting trashed when doing an OTA update.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arrasmith View Post
    WebOS 3.x is what they are moving to not 2.x. And they are probably killing several hardware bugs by leaving TI (that I'm sure by moving away from TI they are ending much of the bleeding from all the hardware returns).
    Huh? By far the vast majority of the hardware returns/complaints seemed to come from a horribly week slider, and screen /cover issues. I haven't heard of any returns from bad processors/chipsets.
    I think the issue was memory, not processor speed, at least with the Pre minus. That was the reason they told us they were dumping the Palm OS ROM which killed Classic.

I also think alot of it has to do with the carriers. Sprint no longer is invested in WebOS - why would Sprint bother testing an OS update? And why allow it? Sprint wants users to upgrade their phones, and thus be locked in for 2 more years... The only leverage HP would have over Sprint would be if lots of us launch day pre people defected to another carrier (instead of Evo), but who wants to pay Verizon or ATT rates?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    As an IT pro, I certainly understand the technical position they are (possibly) in.

But one of the first things in a proof of concept is to flesh out feasibility. How could they not know till the 12th hour it was not possible??????? I call shenanigans. This was a financial decision first and foremost. And with no "candy" to keep the faithful occupied for the next 6 months you can kiss 75% of your users goodbye.

To promise something for months, have all of the devs divert 95% of their time to 2.x only to say 1% of current webos users can benefit..... The rest can wait for some magical day in the summer and cross your fingers if its on your carrier. what hogwash.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    all i have to show...