1.    #1  
    I'm afraid from my point of view HP has just killed the greatest mobile operating system we are likely to see for at least 5 years.

They gave delivered some good concept hardware but the fact it's barely cutting edge now and it's half a year away effectively means this is the end.

The facts are:

There are no weOS devices for sale with carriers other than an outdated pre2 with very little dev support.

HP lied to it's most loyal fans both about upgrades for their devices and the imminent release of new devices they'd been waiting for. - consequently they have estranged the already dwindling user base.

Most if not all android/windows/apple phones will be dual core and have graphic multiple tasking by the time the pre 3 comes out.

The touchpad has no advantage over the motorola xoom which will be released in only a few weeks time.

Webos has very poor support from large game and development studios. Still no turn by turn navigation or office apps on webos after 2 years.

Google is offering no support for webos. Google maps is horrendously out of date.

Webos has no media service to rival the likes of zune on windows phone.

I'm afraid all these things culminate with the conclusion that I cannot stay with webos any longer. I will keep my pre since it is essentially worthless on eBay and I have great admiration and respect for the home brew community who will undoubtedly keep it alive.

However this weekend I will be ordering the dell venue pro. A 4.1" OLED screen and a 100% stable, lag free, gorgeous ui with the outstanding zune media service, xbox live integration and already a large app store with excellently coded professional apps.

Good bye webos, I still hold out some hope that one day it will make a comeback.

Webos has no
    Quote Originally Posted by marxman.13 View Post
    However this weekend I will be ordering the dell venue pro. A 4.1" OLED screen and a 100% stable, lag free, gorgeous ui with the outstanding zune media service, xbox live integration and already a large app store with excellently coded professional apps.
    Let us know how that goes.

I have an Android (Epic 4g) and hate the limited multitasking (for those who love Andriod, i hate the fact that I don't have control over when something closes...I can't check a text or fast forward my music while playing a game because that boots me out and causes a restart of the game). I am leery about moving to WinPhone 7 due to the current lack of any multitasking.

I do love the hardware on the Dell Venue Pro though.

nnb
  3.    #3  
    I think there are misconceptions about multitasking in general. What I love in webos isn't so much the fact that an app can run in the background as the ease of switching between apps and being able to pick up where I left off.

As I understand it windows phone 7 let's you do this as it simply pauses the apps you were previously using when you switch to a new one. The only difference is that an app can't actually continue running in the background (except the built in apps). This is how iOS works for 99% of apps as well so I think it will be ok. Microsoft has promised an update for this fairly soon anyway so that apps that need backgrounding like spotify and pandora can use it.

In gneral I am more than happy to pay the price of having to have apps pause if it gives faultless performance.
    Yeah for most apps, it really won't matter.

There are some (usually ones that I want to load while I am doing something else) that I actually want to function, But maybe that is something the OS can already do.

nnb
    @marksman.13

I understand your thoughts (to a point) but you are way off. We were out at the event. We met with the Palm staff and VP's and were able to discuss many concerns through lunch. The points you made, while valid to you - do not actually represent what we saw, heard, discussed, and questioned in any way at all. Palm is incredibly dedicated to their user base and HP is amazingly dedicated to Palm. You (or anyone else) were not "promised" anything. The one true reason 2.0 isn't hitting the Sprint devices is simple - it's a 2 year old device with limitations - period. Several months were spent on the Sprint devices with that OS and the simple fact came out as that they could bring it, but why when the devices are simply too limited and the benefit for end users simply wouldn't be there.

Sprint Pre users aren't 'owed' anything (I'm one of them). We bought a product and that product served it's purpose and is old tech now. The world keeps turning and it turns incredibly fast in the tech fields.

Sprint devices are coming to the masses. You can either hang on, or get another device. But after playing with all of the new hardware, I can tell you I'll buy a used Pre off of ebay to get me by until the new stuff hits Sprint if I have to. It is THAT good!.