Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    With so many loyal palm enthusiasts vowing to jump ship it made me contemplate what the future of webOS holds.

Palm's current market share is in a downfall and with the recent news that current devices will NOT be receiving an update to the much anticipated webOS 2.0 many current users are vowing to take their business elsewhere. Also, there really is no information on what carriers or even a time frame for the replacement of our current hardware.

With palm seeming to lose many within its once proud community and developers being informed that their current coding system will become a thing of the past I really do not believe that there is much hope for our future. Sure HP is a really large company with the means to rectify this situation, but in my opinion there is very little hope.

Our new smartphone won't hit store shelves until sometime in the summer, this gives competitors plenty of time to release something that makes everyone forget about the Pre3 (almost exactly like what happened to the original Pre in case you forgot). With no guarantee that this phone will land on all carriers gives me reason to believe those of us faithful that are left will be forced to jump ship to android or apple.

I personally still believe that our operating system is much better than the rest, but if you look at the benefits of android and apples vast marketplace it really does not make much sense to support webOS. On android alone there are almost 40 apps available for every 1 app we have on webOS. Apple has even more.

Developers were also given early access to the much awaited enyo coding system, only to find out that mojo is a thing of the past and from what it seems to me left a lot of unanswered questions within the developer community. The new webOS currently has a market share of ZERO because no current phones except the pre2 will be able to run new apps. This does not bode well for encouraging developers to create new applications for webOS.

Lastly, it is hard for me to support a company that has blatantly lied to its current customer base for the last few months and even longer if you count all of the failed promises made by palm themselves. I, personally, am very skeptical about the future of webOS and am having a very difficult time convincing myself to holdout for the Pre3. My biggest worry is that we will be in the same exact situation in the future.

Sorry for venting, but I am really looking for a glimmer of hope when my head tells me there is none.
    I agree with pretty much everything you said except for:

Quote Originally Posted by Jraw23 View Post
    I personally still believe that our operating system is much better than the rest
    webOS is good but I think people have a tendency to give it more credit than it deserves. I think a lot of that comes from not knowing just how far iOS and Android have come over the past 2 years.

I don't think anyone who switches because of this debacle will be all that disappointed in whatever phone they end up going to.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I agree with pretty much everything you said except for:

webOS is good but I think people have a tendency to give it more credit than it deserves. I think a lot of that comes from not knowing just how far iOS and Android have come over the past 2 years.

I don't think anyone who switches because of this debacle will be all that disappointed in whatever phone they end up going to.
    I agree completely, but I still do like the user interface with webOS better than android. Personally I would switch to the iphone, but as a sprint customer I can only hope that it will come to us this summer, but thats about as promising as HP and Palm fulfilling any of their past promises (sorry I couldnt resisit)