Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, Engadget said they had a lengthy interview with Rubinstein and had very good new amidst the bad news of no 2.0 for older devices. They have not posted the interview or what was said yet. Did I miss something?

Original Pre, Pre Plus, Pixi and Pixi Plus won't get updated to webOS 2.0 -- Engadget
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    It is obvious that Rubi has his handss tied....i bet his interview was censored by HP so that they culd really think about what to do (if anything at all).
  3.    #3  
    I was thinking the same thing. I wondered if he told Engadget something down the line he was not supposed to and now they can't post it. It all seems very strange.
    engadget will publish, they are not held by H/P or Ruby, the more controversy they create, the better it is for the website
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  5.    #5  
    Good news!

Patel Nilay emailed me from Engadget and the interview is being transcribed as we speak and should be up soon. Hopefully they asked some hard hitting questions and the good news that they allude to is indeed good news that will settle people a bit.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    transcribed?? what is this the 20th century? post the audio file!
    bout time they have got a ton of refreshes from me today! Engadget has been very posotive.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki42 View Post
    Good news!

Patel Nilay emailed me from Engadget and the interview is being transcribed as we speak and should be up soon. Hopefully they asked some hard hitting questions and the good news that they allude to is indeed good news that will settle people a bit.

Translating "Transcribing" = "deleting the specifics of the good news from Jon"
    Just got notice the interview is up @ engadget
    I see pandas.
    Good interview with some interesting tidbits
    I see pandas.
    The Engadget Interview: Jon Rubinstein and Steven McArthur talk webOS on PCs, 'Music Synergy,' competition, and more -- Engadget

Steven: We expect to have apps in the low tens of thousands by the launch of the Pre 3 and TouchPad.
    I think someone is way too optimistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    IS it just me or they completely butchered the part about what Jon said in regards to legacy devices.... just like I thought....Engadget got a little spanking in their buttocks "DO NOT PUBLISH THAT!"
    where is the part about what HP will be doing for people with older devices? We were lead to believe that this interview would have more details on that...

Something was clearly cut from it...
    First, to me here is the biggest news. He admits that they missed a product cycle and have to get stuff out the door now. He says, "the reality is... we missed a product cycle last year, so we're now focused on bringing these to market, and we have a lot more in the pipeline. ."
    This makes me believe that a slab "superphone" is on the way (and other tablets). I think we may get a 7 inch and 5 inch as rumored. Which I would like to see to compare, but Jon has a point when questioned about the Veer. He says, if I have a Touchpad, why do I want to carry a big phone in my pocket when I can carry the Veer that is my wifi hotspot. Which is actually a good point. A friend of mine recently got the iPad and for years had wanted the iPhone on Verizon (terrible AT&T coverage in his area). i asked him if we was going to get one now and he said that after getting the iPad he thought he would stick with his blackberry. Didn't see why he would need it now and the blackberry has a faster keyboard (for most).
    This is what Jon was expressing. I'd consider it. I like having choices.

Also, in response to questions they mention the concept of music synergy. Which is a really cool concept that I wasn't even familiar with because I don't have the Sonos system and haven't used it. It could be a killer system. Maybe that is why the TouchPads at the event didn't have a music app that worked . . . they are remaking a Music Synergy App for 3.0.
    He makes a great point about the difference in resolution between the iPhone 4 and the Pre 3. Does 50 pixels really make a difference? Great point - the answer is that no, it is probably not even noticeable to 90% of people if asked to compare the screens. Things like brightness and other optical factors are probably much more important to perceived screen quality.
    Finally, the app issue. I've beaten this like a horse but he says that same thing. The Apple Catalog probably has 100,000 books available that goes toward their huge amount of apps. Jon says, why do I want 100,000 books when I have a kindle app that offers 810,000? WebOS has 95% of the best apps on the iPhone. There are so many junk apps in the Apple and Android catalogs it is beyond belief. (And WebOS has lots of stinkers too.)
    Not that I expected anything different, but there was a lot of punting going on in that interview. I could sense some defensiveness too.

It's like they acknowledge they produced status quo devices and are relying on marketing to push them out the door.

The developer push was also very vague.

They are leveraging HPs size, relationships and distribution network to sell product and I frankly think, it will be much more successful than Palm doing it alone.

Unfortunately, without something we haven't seen yet, it won't penetrate Apple or Android. There will be room for 3 players, but I don't know if apps will get made fast enough. Palm users seem used to waiting by now, so maybe it doesn't matter.
    I don't know who is going to write these 10,000 apps when no current device supports webos 2.0 (except pre 2, but thats.. well you know).
    OVER 10,000? Yup. Suure HP.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    OVER 10,000? Yup. Suure HP.
    perhaps with a 20/100 million dollar hot apps program. (0.2/1.0 million extra devices sold would cover the costs. That's assuming a $200 cost of production, and $300 sale to providers.)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast