View Poll Results: Would $150 Pre 2 be an honest gesture from HP?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 21.74%
  • No

70 60.87%
  • I'd think about it

20 17.39%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Now don't get me wrong, it does suck that the devices under Pre 2 will not receive the update. It is, however, reality, and it probably is the best for our devices.

HP said they "would do "something special" for owners of older hardware when the Pre 3, the Veer, and the TouchPad hit the market"

Now change that to before they hit the market, and lets say they offered all users of the pre, or pre + a Pre 2 for lets say $150, would that entice people to be happy?
    $150, I assume you mean out of contact? Not if Sprint doesn't activate it.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigLove View Post
    $150, I assume you mean out of contact? Not if Sprint doesn't activate it.
    Well yea that would be an issue with CDMA users

GSM users, HP could just give them unlocked devices.

CDMA, HP would have to discuss and make deals with Sprint or Verizon customers to cover the costs
    My guess is that if you turn in your original Pre, they will send you a credit for 100 bucks or so. It won't be carrier related. Likely would have to do so through HP's site.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    I don't understand your question. The Pre 2 costs $99 on contract and wouldn't be available to people with a Pre because Sprint doesn't carry it. So why would owners of these phones be glad to pay above market price for hardware that is already outdated with the Pre 3's intro yesterday? So, no, that would not come close to enticing people to be happy.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Robisindy View Post
    I don't understand your question. The Pre 2 costs $99 on contract and wouldn't be available to people with a Pre because Sprint doesn't carry it. So why would owners of these phones be glad to pay above market price for hardware that is already outdated with the Pre 3's intro yesterday? So, no, that would not come close to enticing people to be happy.
    $99 for a contract, subsidized price that would lock people in.

I'm saying $150 off contract, here's a device to get you through the next little bit until the newer devices are available that you could actually upgrade to
    Why $150? They should give it to us for $99 with no contract changes. I'd pay for that.
    So I'm going to pay $150 to use a phone for 4 or 5 months until a new phone comes out which I'll have to pay another $150-200 for? Nah, still not impressed. Now, if they want to give me a Pre 2 based on a commitment from me to pre-order a Pre 3 when available? Now we're talking. But first both phones have to be picked up by Sprint.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Why $150? They should give it to us for $99 with no contract changes. I'd pay for that.
    So I'm going to pay $150 to use a phone for 4 or 5 months until a new phone comes out which I'll have to pay another $150-200 for? Nah, still not impressed. Now, if they want to give me a Pre 2 based on a commitment from me to pre-order a Pre 3 when available? Now we're talking. But first both phones have to be picked up by Sprint.
    Ok fair enough, both make good alternatives. Just trying to see what HP could to to make people happy and keep webOS going
    I don't understand why I should have to pay even more money to get what I've already paid for?
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
  11.    #11  
    Also, side note people:

HP Executive Team: CEO email
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullroarer Took View Post
    I don't understand why I should have to pay even more money to get what I've already paid for?
    That's why I say give me a Pre 2 to replace my Pre- and I'll commit to buy a Pre 3 when it launches. HP gets my loyalty & new device purchase and delivers on their 2.0 promise to legacy device owners.
    Sprint users are understandably more upset being that they have had their original Pres since 2009 with no other webOS device alternatives. But us Verizon Pre Plus users have only had our phones for a year or less and, like me, probably renewed a two year contract when getting it, meaning that we wont even be eligible for an upgrade when the Pre 3 comes out. So for me, paying $99 for a pre 2 to hold me over with no contract change is the best way to go.
    off contract or on contract

off contract yes, on contract no
    There are four lights.
    That's why I say give me a Pre 2 to replace my Pre- and I'll commit to buy a Pre 3 when it launches. HP gets my loyalty & new device purchase and delivers on their 2.0 promise to legacy device owners.
    I missed your post, but I could get behind your idea.
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    My guess is that if you turn in your original Pre, they will send you a credit for 100 bucks or so. It won't be carrier related. Likely would have to do so through HP's site.
    I doubt it, I think you have to be a CURRENT USER of a pre phone and/or upgrade to one of the new devices. Otherwise, I can just get a cheap used one not currently in use, and pocket the $100 credit.
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    It would have to be on Sprint.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    No. The only thing I'd be happy with is an off-contract, unlocked Pre 2 direct from HP for $0. Or for them to buy me out my existing contract so I can get a phone on another OS.

They need to tell us what the "special something," or "upgrade path," will be, and not just "in the coming weeks." They need to give clear, decisive statements on exactly what we can expect going forward and they need to do it quickly to have any chance of retaining me as a customer personally.
    I went with no.

A) there isn't a Pre 2 for Sprint, I'm not switching carriers so HP can try to "make it right"
    B) why do I want to spend $150 when I'd rather wait for the Pre 3 in (and I'm guessing) 4-5 months

Now, make it a Pre 3, on Sprint with some sort of discount over and above the upgrade discount and I think I might be there.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    $150 for a non-contract Pre2 usable on Verizon and I'd think about it. Anything involving a contract and you can forget it. I've got my Pixi+ on Page Plus for a reason.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast