1.    #1  
    So, as the HP employees all come into work the day after the big event and they review the results, what do you think they are saying?

Are they high fiving each other and saying 'we nailed it' or 'hit it out of the park'? Are congratulations in order at the coffee machine?

Or is it somber, 'we have a lot of work to do' or 'I wasn't expecting that reaction' or 'Did you hear that thud?' or ' wow, talk about crickets!'?

Frankly, I'm not sure why they had the event to begin with. Everything conflicts with Apotheker's 'ready to ship announcement', unless the event was to announce the presale of the Pre2, which was a rehash of last October/November. They might as well have held off until late Spring to hold this event because they could at least show off finished goods rather than say this is all pre-production representations. Perhaps in the Spring they could give hints of future devices coming in the fall, map out the 'device every 2 months' plan.

I didn't get the Qualcomm presentation. It was like selling commercial time during the Super Bowl, only boring.

I like the Pre3. It looks like it has possibilities, but 5-6 months from now? Why talk at all?
    I imagine the developer relations team is probably working hard to answer the plethora of e-mails they received in response to yesterday.

(In a bad way)
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    I imagine The Slayer is on patrol against the demon hoards spawned by the Hellmouth...
    Oh, SunnyVALE not Sunnydale. Sorry.

In truth, it was a mixed day. The tech they showed excited me. The timeline disappointed me. The lack of updates upset me.

I'd expect about the same reactions from the workers who helped bring us this info.
  4.    #4  
    I guess a similar question would be were they excited about the presentation or was there a sense of foreboding in the days leading up to it? New products would be exciting, but the timeline would be such a buzzkill. After all, it was their hype, their poems etc that led up to it.

And you are right about that, I bet the developer relations guys are just slammed right now.
    After reviewing the timeline of events yesterday, I think that Ruby et. al expected to be drinking champagne last night.

Then someone spilled the beans on the webOS 2.0 upgrade debacle and things spiraled into damage control mode. It's pretty clear to me that even yesterday their own developers were working on a hardware solution, but that the folks upstairs had made the decision to cut the cord and not waste resources on it.

This, along with the the fact that developers are going to have to forget everything they've learned about mojo, indicates that there is a complete re-boot going on. And in the process, we're getting booted.
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
    folks out here to remember how big HP is and while this was a big event for folks that like this stuff, 95%+ of HP employees are not tied to it. Those that are focused on enterprise accounts, where one customer, one buyer spends $100 million a year with HP - the WebOS stuff is not a big deal.

So, my guess is most people got back to HP for work today and did the same as they do every day.

Now the folks in the old Palm buildings, they must be licking their wounds. They came out thinking they had it right - while the TouchPad is excellent, the phones are so-so (no WOW factor came from these) - but the freaking release dates, or lack there of and no price points is a complete FAIL.

WebOS... WELCOME TO THE ENTERPRISE and GO BY CONSUMER MARKET.
  7.    #7  
    and based on some of the comments I have seen today from developers, this came out of the blue. Maybe some were in the know and couldn't say due to NDA's.

Anyway, probably a lot of damage control going on. I wonder if highers up @ HP are looking to Sunnyvale and asking how did you let this get out of control? Or maybe it's not out of control, it just seems that way to us!
    I know why they didn't go to CES. The Android Armada would have crushed them and their tablet would have to compare well and it wouldn't be anything special. NO 4G. That's why they waited. They did a nice job, but nothing that nearly met the expectations of folks who weren't satisfied with Pre.
    Anecdotally, a friend of mine at Palm is brushing off their resume today after seeing the writing on the wall.

This is someone that was excited enough yesterday to share Palm cupcakes with their coworkers.
  10.    #10  
    I think they didn't go to CES because they knew they wouldn't be ready. Unfortunately, they missed their own best guess of 2/9 because they still weren't ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    I imagine the developer relations team is probably working hard to answer the plethora of e-mails they received in response to yesterday.

(In a bad way)
    One of the developer relations team member gave me his contact info and I sent him an email. Apparently they are going to be in a lot of meetings today, whatever that means. But I did tell him they better take a look at the reaction everyone is having to this.

When I talked to him last night his stance was, "Well that's not my department" in response to complaints about how HP/Palm has let it's customers down. I tried to explain much of their die-hard Dev's are also their loyal customers. You can't punch us in the face while trying to shake our hand?!?
    Remember Tim Burton's, "A Nightmare Before Christmas"? We are viewing a real life production of it. The part of Jack is being played by HP, Santa is being played by Apple.

HP has been feeling that something was missing from their lives. Sure, they were the leader in cheap, enterprise PCs and consumer printers, but that just wasn't enough for them anymore. They were great at what they did, yet the masses loved Apple.

HP decided they could be a better Apple. So they made preparations and got everyone ready for the big day. HP comes out in an Apple suit and announces that they are taking over Christmas, er, cool consumer electronics.

They make their big reveal and...

What's this? What's this? Groans? Sneers? Screams of rage!? How is this possible? We gave them an iPad 2 running WebOS! We gave them a better Pre, and a worse Pre just in case someone wanted that! Sure, we had to kill off the existing user base, and sure, we want actually have anything to sell that anyone wants for a long time, but what's their problem!?

Now, we have only to wait on the scene where HP decides that being cool like Apple isn't all it was cracked up to be, and that they make a better HP than Apple. That could take a while.

Truly, I don't think they saw this coming. They did not have a prepared statement for damage control. Their people were saying different things about the upgrade last night. They are in stunned disbelief.
  13.    #13  
    Perhaps they had no intention of letting the 'no upgrade' cat out of the bag? It certainly came out awkwardly, contradictions and misteps. All why I was wondering what was happening today at their offices, normal business and planned meeting or controlled chaos?
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Remember Tim Burton's, "A Nightmare Before Christmas"? We are viewing a real life production of it. The part of Jack is being played by HP, Santa is being played by Apple.

HP has been feeling that something was missing from their lives. Sure, they were the leader in cheap, enterprise PCs and consumer printers, but that just wasn't enough for them anymore. They were great at what they did, yet the masses loved Apple.

HP decided they could be a better Apple. So they made preparations and got everyone ready for the big day. HP comes out in an Apple suit and announces that they are taking over Christmas, er, cool consumer electronics.

They make their big reveal and...

What's this? What's this? Groans? Sneers? Screams of rage!? How is this possible? We gave them an iPad 2 running WebOS! We gave them a better Pre, and a worse Pre just in case someone wanted that! Sure, we had to kill off the existing user base, and sure, we want actually have anything to sell that anyone wants for a long time, but what's their problem!?

Now, we have only to wait on the scene where HP decides that being cool like Apple isn't all it was cracked up to be, and that they make a better HP than Apple. That could take a while.

Truly, I don't think they saw this coming. They did not have a prepared statement for damage control. Their people were saying different things about the upgrade last night. They are in stunned disbelief.
    I agree. They live in a vacuum and really believed yesterday would be huge and people would accept the time to release. Amazing.
    I think they are fielding a lot of disgruntled webOS customers who will be orphaned from future updates. Other than that I think it is business as usual.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    I think they are doing exactly what any of us would be doing. They'd be realizing the importance of delivering the great potential we saw yesterday...

... and that sick feeling that they disappointed the people they care about most, and that they have to double down on efforts to make things right.

So they are running to catch the last chopper our of Saigon, knowing there is a real danger of crashing even though they are relieved to have escaped being chased by a bunch of angry locals. Either one could result in success - or death.

I think they will work on both, make progress on both, and always feel that they haven't one enough. And I hope that creates enough tension in their individual and collective heads that they will fix the problems and execute the vision or die trying.

I didn't talk to a single person from Palm last night that didn't feel terrible about having let their users down. I just wish I'd had the chance to meet Ruby or McKinney and encourage them to not accept defeat until they have an alternative that will delight their most loyal customers. All they really need is to assure sprint users that they will have an alternative - and soon. Everyone was screaming for new hardware, so they don't really want to keep using their existing hardware. The upgrade path can be worked out once each carrier has committed to a new handset, and soon.

I'm on Verizon so I've got the Pre2 as an alternative. Sprint users need to hear loud/clear/soon that they will also have an alternative, even if they can't announce what that will be. And let's remember that this hurts Sprint more, because they will certainly lose subscribers that send money each and every month.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 02/10/2011 at 04:20 PM.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I didn't talk to a single person from Palm last night that didn't feel terrible about having let their users down. I just wish I'd had the chance to meet Ruby or McKinney and encourage them to not accept defeat until they have an alternative that will delight their most loyal customers. All they really need is to assure sprint users that they will have an alternative - and soon. Everyone was screaming for new hardware, so they don't really want to keep using their existing hardware. The upgrade path can be worked out once each carrier has committed to a new handset, and soon.
    This is really what irks me. It sucks that we don't get an update that was promised repeatedly and recently. But the way it came out really bugs me. It wasn't part of the presentation, but slipped out in some afterward conversations and not as a heads up or an announcement, but in response to a question.

How many people did you talk to? Would they have done better leaking this out a week before hand or a week later? As it is, to me at least, it has stolen the whole show. What products? They're too far out to matter to me. As fast as this market moves, they're a whole generation away. I read somewhere that Ruby said they missed a cycle with their cash flow and then the purchase. I would argue they missed a lot more than 1 cycle and they were behind before they started.