Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    HP has rebooted webos once. I think that's the point. They paid over a billion for this os and they are changing it t fit their business plan. A 2% userbase and over 5,000 apps in almost two years gives them plenty of incentive to restart without sacrificing much. It sucks for the webs faithful and even more for the developers but they are in it for the long haul. They have the money and the people to make it happen. They also have a great OS that they have improved on. It won't be long before webos will be on as many if not more devices than even android. I think they are confident that developers won't be able to ignore them as this happens.
    Does a developer try to have apps in the catalog when HP begins the push or wait until there's lots of devices in the market and then try to stand out among all the other developers trying to release software? Does the developer go through the famine of the transition period in order to be one of the first choices the new users can choose from? Based on the amount of time spent on the tablet in the Feb 9th presentation, I'd say that HP is going to try to make a big push in the tablet market. They must compete in that space because it is impacting their netbooks. To not do so is just letting other companies take that money and run. HP is big, but I don't think they're that big to just **** away a $1.2 billion purchase. Because of all of that, I think they're going to be working hard to do what's needed to grow market share. It might not happen over night, but I think it would have been a bigger leap of faith to decide to develop for webOS when Palm was it's own company.
    Speaking as a consumer and hobbyist developer I would stay on and support the platform as long as I am personally using a webOS device.
    For me that would mean HP better be selling webOS phones globally. I am into my 2nd Pre ( the first gave serious digitiser problems) and I would buy the Pre3 in a heartbeat IF it were available.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    I think you are taking this to the extreme, I'm no developer but I don't think they made their living from this. This would have been something secondary for them. If there are developers of this type let me/us know. I would think developers used this as extra income on the side.

Wow - that's some value proposition - "develop for our platform, you might make enough to buy the odd pizza".

Yes, some developers will develop out of love but if you want a successful app market, there has to be some indiciation that there is an opportunity to make money.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Wow - that's some value proposition - "develop for our platform, you might make enough to buy the odd pizza".

Yes, some developers will develop out of love but if you want a successful app market, there has to be some indiciation that there is an opportunity to make money.
    So you think Rod made money with Preware??? If you hate the future of webos, as your tone suggests, then leave. When webos is on top you'll come back and we can revisit this discussion if you like.

Don't fight it your passion for webos runs deep. Why else would you be acting this way. Let's face it if Rod is sticking around, and we all know how important he is to the community, what does that tell you?
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    So you think Rod made money with Preware??? If you hate the future of webos, as your tone suggests, then leave. When webos is on top you'll come back and we can revisit this discussion if you like.

Don't fight it your passion for webos runs deep. Why else would you be acting this way. Let's face it if Rod is sticking around, and we all know how important he is to the community, what does that tell you?
    I think hate is such a nasty word and we're all titled into his own opinion. I think CGK is frustrated with HP/Palm. You don't shift the dev platform after 1.5 yrs. It all seems to me that the Mojo development platform was a BIG MISTAKE in the 1st place for HP/Palm.
    sad to here..but I want to say that I will buy the Pre 3 when it comes out and have always spent money in the App cat.....
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts

If you want to get involved in psychoanalysis, I suggest you take some classes.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janric View Post
    I think hate is such a nasty word and we're all titled into his own opinion. I think CGK is frustrated with HP/Palm. You don't shift the dev platform after 1.5 yrs. It all seems to me that the Mojo development platform was a BIG MISTAKE in the 1st place for HP/Palm.
    On a personal level, I'm largely indifferent really, but then I'm indifferent to all of the OSes - it's all plastic tat at the end of the day. I research mobility (with a particularly interest in temporality or how the use of mobile devices impacts on the perception of time) but I'm interested in the overall picture rather than being a cheer-leader for any particular OS (disclaimer: I own an android handset but that's simply because I'm cheap, it cost 70 with no contract, if HP put out a phone for a similar price I'll pick one up).

I come here because this is the best place to talk WebOS, I go somewhere else for Android conversation, somewhere else for blackberry. There's more to say here however because Blackberry is a pretty stale platform and Android is highly successful so I don't actually get much conversation at those other sites, the WebOS story is one of a fantastic OS coupled with terrible business decision after business decision - so it gives us all plenty to talk about.

Moreover, while there are a lot of morons here (like any forum) who blindly cheer-leader, there are also some very solid posters which means that it's a great place for some lively debate about WebOS and I find a lot of useful points get teased out that I can apply to my work.
    Last edited by CGK; 02/11/2011 at 04:53 AM.
    are we at a cross roads? Yes... But does this spell doom for the future of webOS development? Absolutely not. In general, developers will follow the $. As it is now, there is very little economic reason to develop for webOS. The 2.0 installed base is virtually non existent, and wil be for sometime. If I were a dev, i'd leave too. But once webOS is available on PC's, how can someone ignore that opportunity?

It's simple economics, when the chips are down, devs will move on to greener pastures. But if the webOS userbase takes of, old and new devs alike will come.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123