Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. iDG
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    webOS Internals don't work for Palm/HP (they've stated this in the past)
    I don't know if they will manage, but it's quite clear HP is trying to buy their silence. Considering the radical shift in tone in the last tweets it appears to be working too...

So, to create a good and working 2.1 release, we should grab one of the 2.x prerelease doctors for Pre or Pre+, overwrite relevant files (maybe only the app and services ones), and repack it... Of course, this will never be supported
    Not as easy as it sounds: You will need updated kernel and modules. Which you may not be able to build, as the kernel source changes for newer devices may be too hard to adapt to older ones. Currently the webos 2.0.1 doctor is available and you can find the relevant opensource packages from Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm yet there's no reliable franken2.0 -- even if the differences between the Pre2 and the Pre/+ are relatively small.

WebOS 2.1/2.2/3.0 will be released for a even different hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by iDG View Post
    I don't know if they will manage, but it's quite clear HP is trying to buy their silence. Considering the radical shift in tone in the last tweets it appears to be working too...

Not as easy as it sounds: You will need updated kernel and modules. Which you may not be able to build, as the kernel source changes for newer devices may be too hard to adapt to older ones. Currently the webos 2.0.1 doctor is available and you can find the relevant opensource packages from [url= Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm[/url] yet there's no reliable franken2.0 -- even if the differences between the Pre2 and the Pre/+ are relatively small.

WebOS 2.1/2.2/3.0 will be released for a even different hardware.
    I said easy as in get webOS 2.1 prerelease for Pre/Pre+, get official 2.1 when it becomes available, and just overwrite files. NOT all files, just the necessary ones.

Pre and Pre2 are fairly similar, and we can use the prerelease kernel and modules... But I think we're drifting away from the topic
  3. iDG
    I said easy as in get webOS 2.1 prerelease for Pre/Pre+, get official 2.1 when it becomes available, and just overwrite files. NOT all files, just the necessary ones.
    Given there won't be an "official" 2.0 kernel for pre/pre+ devices, I don't see where you expect to find a 2.1 prerelease. Not to mention you should't be able to "get" a 2.0 prerelease either.
    You may not have noticed that the decision on the server donation was made between Jan 10th and Jan 21st, weeks before the events of yesterday.

Patience, grasshopper.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You may not have noticed that the decision on the server donation was made between Jan 10th and Jan 21st, weeks before the events of yesterday.

Patience, grasshopper.

-- Rod
    Hello Rod. Was this server what was required to start implementing the Preware road map?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Hello Rod. Was this server what was required to start implementing the Preware road map?
    No, there is a roadblock which unfortunately is related to a part of webOS 2.0 which is under NDA still.

However, the new server is a necessary item if we are to have the compute power for on-demand generation and syncing of partial feed updates.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    One thing that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere yet is whether the carrier agreements of your locked-in subsidised phones is a blocking factor for webOS 2.0 updates ...

-- Rod
    Also, NuttyBunny is exactly right. We don't distribute custom WebOS install images since that would violate copyright. We distribute metadoctor which lets you make your own custom install images.

The differences between pre and pre2 are very small, the only issue we've had is the closed source TI SGX (powervr) graphics libraries since pre2 uses a slightly newer graphics core revision -- this causes its graphics libraries not to work on pre.

Even if HP never releases a 2.0 image for castle (pre/pre+), it may be possible to modify these libraries to work. If they do release a 2.0 image for castle, then you can simply use those files.

To reiterate, we don't need to make and distribute a custom "ROM", just provide you a tool to run so you can make your own modified doctor. This way satisfies copyright law and lets us continue our work legally. Getting sued would suck.
    Last edited by destinal; 02/11/2011 at 03:28 AM.
    No, there is a roadblock which unfortunately is related to a part of webOS 2.0 which is under NDA still.

However, the new server is a necessary item if we are to have the compute power for on-demand generation and syncing of partial feed updates.

-- Rod
    hey rod, with this sort of hold up, waiting for the new software/new devices, have the plans changed or stayed the same? what do you make of everything going on from a dev stand point?
    One thing that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere yet is whether the carrier agreements of your locked-in subsidised phones is a blocking factor for webOS 2.0 updates ...

-- Rod
    This actually the reason I believe that we don't have the updates.. But the reasons don't change the fact that sulking isn't going to do didly.

One thing I would like to see is if HP is indeed putting the kabosh on legacy devices why allow carriers to sell it still.. Take a look at att for example and HP's own web store

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by omgitsjordan View Post
    hey rod, with this sort of hold up, waiting for the new software/new devices, have the plans changed or stayed the same? what do you make of everything going on from a dev stand point?
    As you can see with Linphone and the 850MHz Pixi kernel, we continue development as usual. Note that both of those things are for 1.4.x devices ...

-- Rod
  12. iDG
    I didn't even hint it was about the server.
    I didn't even hint it was about the server.
    Exactly what were you insinuating with your reference to 'buying silence' then?

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I'm sure Rod doesn't shut up until you give him at least 3 servers.
    You underestimate the power of someone else being wrong on the Internet

-- Rod
    No Rod just won't shut up ever doesn't matter . J could give him 10 if you wanted to lol !! Ha ha !! J/m with ya !!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts

-- Rod
    oh, come on Rod, we ALL know you're on the "take".... :-D

...these folks are just having a temper tantrum, a "time out" followed by "milk and cookies" will calm everyone down....

(and maybe a great upgrade deal to the Pre3, for Pre owners?)
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    That's another thing that's got me all worked up to an extent that no milk&cookies will calm. (well, not really).

What about an upgrade deal for Pre 2 owners?
    Or for people who've purchased a Pixi, Pre, Pre Plus, and a Pre 2 (me! me! me!)
    I should get one free. Come on!
    I hope, whatever they do, (if anything, but they HAVE hinted at it), should include all devices that cannot be upgraded to 2.x ...that would include the Pre2 wouldn't it?

...but if they don't include milk and cookies, I'm going to (insert smartphone of your choice here)!!!

Personally, I've been sitting on an upgrade since June - I'll just use that to get a Pre3 when it comes out.

I'd like to keep my old Pre - I have all my old phones, all the way back to my first, a Motorola "Bag-Phone!" ;-)
    Last edited by ToddK; 02/11/2011 at 06:54 AM.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    No it wouldn't. Pre 2's on 2.0.1.
    oh, snap. sorry.

I guess the options are to "wait and see" or "enjoy your new device" :-)
    Given there won't be an "official" 2.0 kernel for pre/pre+ devices, I don't see where you expect to find a 2.1 prerelease. Not to mention you should't be able to "get" a 2.0 prerelease either.
    I wasn't referring to an Oficial 2.x for 1st Gen devices, I'm referring to the leaked ones that, granted, shouldn't be downloaded, but can help people to join the party.
  20. iDG
    I am not insinuating: there's a definite and perfectly perceptible and abrupt change of attitude between this tweet https://twitter.com/#!/webosinternal...56107682693120 and the following ones.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast