Page 7 of 69 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    We've just met with the folks behind HP webOS and have news that will probably enrage the heck out of all current webOS owners
    Yep, enraged here. to put it mildly.

I've been a loyal palm fan waiting patently,
    but this is the final kick in the nuts.

Coming soon; The next few months, blah, blah, blah.
    We were lied to about flash and now Ver 2.0

Well, since my Pre is slow as molasses, I'll overclock my Pre and hope it holds out. When/If it doesn't, I'm off to Android.

Good luck HP (not really).
    I'm beyond outraged. Palm has promised users (and us developers) that webOS 2.0 would be released. First they promised Fall '10, then it was by the end of the year (2010), then we had no word...and now we find out it was all a lie. For people like me who have been spending months developing a webOS 2.0 app with hopes that I would soon be able to release it into the catalog to all the existing devices, this is a big slap in the face. And for all the webOS users who have stuck with Palm because they were promised webOS 2.0, it's another big slap in the face.

Palm failed to deliver on their promises. I don't know if I can ever trust them again.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    I watched the whole live blog and was sooo curious about the tablet(but first i want to know the price) and especially the pre3 and all the new features.

when I first got the pre, I received an update every 5 weeks and I knew palm cares!!!
    since HP got into the boat we didn't recieve an updates at all. ;-(
    and now it's not even shure if all the ones that believed in webOS and wanted to stay with it, will have the chance to move on to webOS 2.0 till the pre will be released?!?!!!

I think very very much pre owners, like myself, that wanted to buy a new more powerfull webOS phone, do now think:
    "will i get webOS 3 for my Pre3? or will i have to buy the Pre4?"

I'M OUT!!! never thought I would say this a few minutes ago.

think an Android phone directly from Google should give me all future updates i want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrbelex View Post
    For those so angry, they're litigious, here's where to start with proof of false advertising:
    what are you gonna sue for? Nobody's bought anything based on a promise that 2.0 will be delivered to that device. Even if they did good luck proving it.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    You want to really hurt HP for this? Hit them where it hurts - in the wallet. If you're upset, just don't buy HP anymore. And I don't mean HP smartphones and tablets, I mean everything HP sells. Don't organize a boycott. Don't get all ramped up about pointless lawsuits that will never happen and wouldn't do any good if they did. Just buy a different brand. You'll hurt HP more by buying a canon printer next time than by suing them this time.
    Yeah, because the 1-2 million people still with a Pre or Pixi will REALLY hurt HP selling a hundred million PCs a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Relax people, all is not lost. The announcement merely was that the 2.0 update is not going OTA. They are going to open a path to 2.x, although even that is in the "coming months".
    I think you might be the only person left who's willing to believe a webOS promise.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Just bought a $60 Pixi+, with the hope of testing, and possibly implementing webOS devices across my business. We are getting all our business software rewritten, and I'm investigating the possibility of a complete web-based platform. One of the major factors, is the ability to have the same application perform identically on larger and small form factor alike. Although I currently use Android devices, I was hoping to use the Pixi+ for testing, and tweaking, and possibly switching over to webOS tablets, and phones (and now that HP announced webOS computers...) When I purchased the Pixis (2), I was under the impression that it'll have 2.0. I'm not about to 1) wait a few months, 2) spend $500 for two devices, in addition to a new cellphone plan. My upgrades will can no longer wait for webOS to become a viable option. Maybe I'll revisit webOS in a couple years, maybe not. While 'cool' is very important, HP's primary clients are enterprise, sell them webOS, and your purchase of Palm will be a steal. Focus exclusively on chasing Apple, and you'll only end up chasing you own tail. Business are not consumers who purchase new devices every 22 months, long-term, and backward compatibility are crucial. HP, not supporting older devices will limit webOS to the consumer marketplace, and corporate will not touch it. Is that the direction you want webOS to go, HP?

(Btw, HP, your main competitor is not iOS, it's Android. Palm made that mistake two years ago, don't continue old bad habits.)
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    As someone locked into Sprint and holding onto an old Pre (I like the form factor - sue me) I'm extremely disappointed today. If anyone has ideas about how we could direct all of this energy toward convincing HP or Sprint (who's really the problem here) to take care of us, I'd love to hear it. I'd rather try to do something than whine. Still, I'm ticked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Guys they said no OTA, not no update. You'll probably be able to doctor. That actually makes a lot of sense.
    The big downside to that is that it will probably mean no carrier apps. Most of them I couldn't care less about, but I would switch back to my old feature phone WITH sprint navigation before I took my pre without it. Navit is great as a proof of concept and I'm sure it will be useful one of these days, but a GPS that requires you to pull over for half an hour to program a trip and lacks basic functions like typing in an address and tapping 'go' is simply not useful.
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Not like Id keep my Pre over the Pre3 but this will be a big assuming Sprint will adpot it anytime soon. This could be another major slap in the face but they did say we would get "A path to upgrade." Whatever that is....
    Yeah that's my problem with this. I would get a newer phone, but not holding my breath on sprint, and so far haven't found anyone that can come close to what the wife and I pay for Sprint. We could both run Epics w/ the 4G surcharge and insurance for less than the cheapest VZW plan.... If nothing comes out on Sprint by this summer, I will once again compare plans between the big 3 and most likely stick with Sprint on an Android phone (the Epic still is the only viable option for me out on Sprint right now).

Here's to hoping Sprint gets the Pre 3 (maybe they launch a CDMA Veer at some point). I love what HP is doing with the tablet game, but I don't see wanting a tablet on a different OS than my phone, especially since it kills the best aspects of the tablet need the same OS on the phone.....
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brgokey View Post
    So, I stood in line on June 6 two years ago and the thanks we get is "screw you".
    My sentiments exactly!!

I championed webOS for them for the past two years and I have a lot of friends and family that come to me for tech recommendations. I've convinced 6 of them to get webOS devices.

I feel like I've been hoodwinked. Jerks.

They can ONLY make it up with a big fat credit towards a new device. Even then, I might just wash my hands of them altogether.
    I have to admit I was really excited by the thought of new devices and limping along for a while on my Sprint Pre minus but now this news really sucks. It would have been nice to update to 2.x for a while because I'm not going to be an early adopter this time and I think 2.x could have seen me through the next few months while I saved the money for the next Phone/Tablet. Now I'm just not sure what to do.

Excitement followed by depression...

Life is a sine wave.
    i have been an avid palm user since before it was a palm smartphone...

i was using the handspring springboard cell phone module, and just continued to upgrade from there.

when palm decided to switch from palm os/access to web os, they severed ties with several loyal customers and developers - this cost them greatly!!!

now, hp has done the same with web os 2.0. without a way to move forward for existing users, and continuously abandoning followers, people will be more eager to jump ship, switching to a different device/os.

i have remained loyal, but how many times can a company expect it's customers to be left without an upgrade/legacy support option to stick with them?

this too, will cost hp greatly!
    I'm as upset by this announcement as anyone, and will probably be switching to an android device soon because of this, but talking class action lawsuit is just f-ing silly.

What the most anyone could claim in terms of damages? Some fraction of the cost of a new phone? $10? $100?

Do you know how many people would have to sign on to that kind of lawsuit to even get the attention of the lamest ambulance chasing lawyer? Every Pre owner out there would have to join in.

Then you've got to prove that they never intended to follow up with their claims, which is pretty close to impossible even if it's true.

Once you've managed to get tens of thousands of people to sign onto the lawsuit, AND managed to prove they weren't acting in good faith, HP settles for half, and then the lawyers take half of that. When it's all said an done, each signer on the lawsuit walks away with enough money to buy a cheeseburger.

You want to really hurt HP for this? Hit them where it hurts - in the wallet. If you're upset, just don't buy HP anymore. And I don't mean HP smartphones and tablets, I mean everything HP sells. Don't organize a boycott. Don't get all ramped up about pointless lawsuits that will never happen and wouldn't do any good if they did. Just buy a different brand. You'll hurt HP more by buying a canon printer next time than by suing them this time.
    exactly. First point being since there's not a ton of users on palm devices anymore HP sees that as a low cost lawsuit. Second, the lawsuit will be silly. Just stop buying their crap and feeding their lies. Nothing that comes from HP anymore is truth. Plenty of lies given today all at the cost of their own customers.

Lies lies lies - shame on you HP!
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Goodbye Palm. The promises of webOS updates for my Pre 1.0 kept me from switching platforms. The hope of new hardware on Sprint also. Now that you've lied to me, I have no more faith in you as a brand. Being on Sprint I'm now screwed into getting the extra 10 bucks per line. If I had known this before the 30th I would have moved on. Now you've just alienated over half your user base.

If I'm spending my money investing in an "ecosystem" it will be on an Apple device. At least they consistently release hardware that aren't made of plastic.

Going to let my money do the talking. See ya Palm and Sprint.
    i've been a pre user since the day it was released on sprint. i've been waiting for an update/new device. i'm thinking the evdo rev a must be for sprint, since verizon has the iphone....what about hp ceo saying no announcement then waiting for months? i thought devices were supposed to be ready in days. not much time difference from original pre announcement at ces in january and release in june is there. i'm disappointed. i hate to jump ship from both palm and sprint, but i'm tired of waiting.....btw, tmobile has the best family data plans, now cheaper than sprint since sprint upcharges $10 a month for a smartphone......not sure about their coverage but almost all sprint phones are classified as smart.....
    Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    I bought a Pre Plus and then a Pixi based on what they have NOW, not what they might or might not have in the future. Am I disappointed I probably can't get WebOS 2.x on my phone? Yep. But I always have to laugh at people who seem to think companies aren't allowed to change their plans when economics dictate it. Or even when the company just plain decides they want to change their plans.

Listen, people - you can only count on what you can see now, not what you hope for or heard rumors about or even saw on a company web page.
    It's nice to see someone has a clear head.

I was in line June 6th like a lot of the people blowing their stacks over this. I guess the only difference is, I fully expected I would be back in line the following year(s) for the new Pre ... and I knew that my launch-day Pre was going to be a dinosaur within 18 months. Because that's the way the industry is.

As for the "OMG they lied to us!" consternation ... see italicized portion above. Mobile manufacturers aren't car companies - they don't expect you to be using your same model for a quarter of your lifetime, and you shouldn't either.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I'm beyond outraged. Palm has promised users (and us developers) that webOS 2.0 would be released. First they promised Fall '10, then it was by the end of the year (2010), then we had no word...and now we find out it was all a lie. For people like me who have been spending months developing a webOS 2.0 app with hopes that I would soon be able to release it into the catalog to all the existing devices, this is a big slap in the face. And for all the webOS users who have stuck with Palm because they were promised webOS 2.0, it's another big slap in the face.

Palm failed to deliver on their promises. I don't know if I can ever trust them again.
    I think PreCentral is misinforming everybody with that post. What HP is saying on that post is that the WebOS 2.0 update will be available as a download and install using a USB cable instead of OTA (Over the air) Why is everybody making such big deal about it? I don't get it.
    While this does **** me off major, it doesn't surprise me. When things went quiet on the 2.0 front I suspected there were problems. But, three major reasons I bought the Pre+ were that Flash was coming, document editing was coming, and (supposedly) it had GPS.

All were lies.

I don't handle being lied to well, so I may jump ship.
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
    yea seriously man. whats up with that> no new phone till the summer and we are stuck with 1.4.5 for a year. if they said no OTA update but you can buy ur pre3 tomorrow i would have been ok but this is messed up man. not cool HP
Page 7 of 69 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast