Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 18 5863646566676869 LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1362
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    See http://forums.precentral.net/2880327-post30.html for what you can do with this official webOS 2.1.0 doctor.

-- Rod
    Rod, since you have direct access to this stuff, do profiles work with the move from the Pre Plus 1.4.5 to 2.1 on the O2 devices? I am on AT&T and am wondering if my profile with purchased apps will work once a normal legal doctor becomes available.

I know that previously, people have not been able to use their profiles with the beta or unofficial WebOS 2.0.1 images, but now that we have a legit doctor, current profiles SHOULD work on the new WebOS 2.1 I would hope.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Has anyone noticed their device status on the Palm support page? For my Pre Plus, it's listed as "Current" and right next to that is a little link explaining Palm's lifecycle.
    Sure seems Like I should get OS upgrades, since I have a current device and all.
    Nothing to see here. Move along.
    @drew3sbs on twitter
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Akitayo found a story in DigiTimes that suggests TouchPad could be ready to ship by April (link below) . If the hardware is ready shortly [and it does seem like HP's current competency is more hardware than software plus they've had some months to design], that could explain why Apotheker said that products would ship in weeks. Then possibly him needing to walk this back subtly in the WSJ after being informed that the software would not be ready until summer. The hardware being ready in turn would place tremendous pressure on Palm to ready Pad and Pre3 software, thus causing the last minute final decision to yank engineers off the Doctors for the older Plus and Minus devices and the subsequent confusing statements to the public. All of this conjecture, but we've certainly heard many many stories of software design unforseen difficulties, not even factoring in the third party app ecosystem now demanded.

If this is true, far easier to feel compassion for the Palm/HP troops as I have certainly had my share of deadline pressure and unforseen project problems.

TouchPad to be available as soon as April? [rumor] | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community
    At this point - I need a new phone, more then an Tablet. I could forgive the lack of an update to the Pre minus, If I had a Pre 3 to replace it with.
    Failing the new Hardware, how 'bout new software, or rather software that was promised last Oct.
    And the claim that it won't work on the older equipment is quickly losing validity
    See webOS 2.1 hacked onto existing US Pre and Pre Plus phones; hold off for now, dear user | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community
    Quote Originally Posted by dmklein View Post
    And the claim that it won't work on the older equipment is quickly losing validity
    Don't be so sure yet. No one ever said it will work well on older devices. Yes it may boot up, in fact I got Barleywine running on my Bell Pre. But it experienced random lockups and Flash (one of the most anticipated features) worked like crap.

Last thing Palm needs is irritate the already angry existing base with an update that doesn't run well with the existing hardware, then have them go off and tell webOS 2 is crap because of their "poor user experience".
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Given HP has released 2.1 for older gsm devices outside of the US I would say it's pretty apparent that the cellular carriers were the ones holding up the update. Not any kind of technical thing. HP was pretty hush hush on the matter, and I assume that was to not point the finger at any carriers because they need that distribution channel for the future.
    This is such a slap in the face...

I'm in a fortunate position to be out from under my contractual obligation but my loyalty lies with Sprint

I'm HOPING Sprint announces iPhone 4g this Summer otherwise I'll be heading to the EVO

We had a nice run with Palm but in all the years of their user base supporting them to just close the door with the premise there may be a "path the future" leaves me saying "no thanks I'll find my own way"

Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post

I'm in a fortunate position to be out from under my contractual obligation but my loyalty lies with Sprint

I'm HOPING Sprint announces iPhone 4g this Summer otherwise I'll be heading to the EVO

We had a nice run with Palm but in all the years of their user base supporting them to just close the door with the premise there may be a "path the future" leaves me saying "no thanks I'll find my own way"

Well there is now 2.1 available through a meta-doctor process. That's better than nothing.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ta-doctor.html
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post

So your loyalty lies with Sprint, the company which has now been proven to be the one (not HP or Palm) that is preventing you from getting a webOS 2.x OTA or webOS doctor update for your device?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    So your loyalty lies with Sprint, the company which has now been proven to be the one (not HP or Palm) that is preventing you from getting a webOS 2.x OTA or webOS doctor update for your device?

-- Rod
    Wonder what the possibilities are that a carrier said "We don't want to have to support older devices, if you want us as a carrier, you won't release an update" - or something to that effect?
    They could give updates the same way apple does. (Without rhe carriers).
    Quote Originally Posted by GTAFan9999 View Post
    They could give updates the same way apple does. (Without rhe carriers).
    Neither you nor I have any understanding of the contracts that are in place between Palm and carriers (remember these contracts would have been written when Palm was close to bankruptcy before any webOS devices were even released) compared to the contracts that are in place between Apple (one of the largest market capital companies on the planet) and carriers.

Everything is easy in an ideal world ...

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    I can't understand US Carrier/manufacturer relations, force that carriers have and so called strict carrier testing. If they are really testing phones on network, 4/5 phones would never go out. I guess, carriers are testing phones only to see are they making some interference in network, nothing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I can't understand US Carrier/manufacturer relations, force that carriers have and so called strict carrier testing. If they are really testing phones on network, 4/5 phones would never go out. I guess, carriers are testing phones only to see are they making some interference in network, nothing more.
    I don't understand how US consumers have allowed the carriers to have such complete control of the whole cellular ecosystem.

As always, the lure of cheaper subsidised prices make the average consumer give up their rights.

-- Rod
    I remember Treo 600 days, Sprint and Cingular was way less aggresive than. Now, they - carriers, are in position to force direction in which mobile industry will go. It looks like US carries are more interested in content providing business than in communication business. It goes along Apple's point of view that mobile devices are fork and spoon for easy netflix consuming.
    I don't understand how US consumers have allowed the carriers to have such complete control of the whole cellular ecosystem.

As always, the lure of cheaper subsidised prices make the average consumer give up their rights.
    -- Rod
    That bold part is the answer.

I suspect that someday, some US carrier is going to say "We'll allow any compatible phone on our network, but you must sign a xxx month contract" (I'm guessing 6 - 12 month). Once that happens, katie bar the door.

I remember my first cell phone. .32 a minute, time was rounded up, and there was no "unlimited minutes" plan. Competition is a wonderful thing.

-- Rod
    Easy, most of the major networks do not give you a discount for buying a phone outside of a contract, you pay the subsidy either way so why not just get the cheaper option. The only exception to this is T-mobile which up until recently didn't even have a network worth running a smartphone on. The other issue is the incompatability of swapping devices across networks. AT&T and Tmo are for the most part incompatible and it's neigh impossible to swap a CDMA phone from Verizon to Sprint so there is no real benefit of doing anything off contract. The US mobile market is from the ground up a very anti consumer space and in addition to that we get the short end of the stick when it comes to network speeds. Why is AT&T just now really starting to roll out their HSPA+ network and why are Verizon and Sprint both still rolling out obsolete networks. Not only that why is Sprint (IDK if verizon is doing this as well with LTE) charging customers more to run on a less congested more efficient network? Being a cell phone customer in the USA is tandem to signing up for highway robbery and no matter which way you look you are still going to get the shaft with a national carrier.
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

I suspect that someday, some US carrier is going to say "We'll allow any compatible phone on our network, but you must sign a xxx month contract" (I'm guessing 6 - 12 month). Once that happens, katie bar the door.

I remember my first cell phone. .32 a minute, time was rounded up, and there was no "unlimited minutes" plan. Competition is a wonderful thing.
    Competition has done no good for the US cellular customer, as a matter of fact it seems to be doing a disservice to them. AT&T puts a cap so what does Verizon do as a response? Put a slightly larger cap and reserve the right to throttle you and lower the bitrate on uploads and downloads you do over their network. Earlier this year all the major cell companies raised rates within a 2 month time period and yet no one cried collusion and the feds did nothing. The US market is anti consumer.
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

Just so you all know, Tmobile gives you a $10 a month discount for using any GSM phone your sim card will work in, with no contract. It's called Even More Plus, and I'm using it right now with my unlocked contract-free ATT Pre-Plus, sans data; I didn't even need to call them when I switched from my G1 or an N900.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbeiser View Post
    Just so you all know, Tmobile gives you a $10 a month discount for using any GSM phone your sim card will work in, with no contract. It's called Even More Plus, and I'm using it right now with my unlocked contract-free ATT Pre-Plus, sans data; I didn't even need to call them when I switched from my G1 or an N900.
    Yeah but like I said earlier tmo is the only one that does that.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Hey did anyone ever find out what those WebOs doctors were on the HP website?