Page 63 of 69 FirstFirst ... 13 535859606162636465666768 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 1362
  1. #1241  
    i really dont believe in an official 2.0 update anymore, but i hope that there will be a working well homebrew solution.
    i mean "Therefore, your device will not receive a webOS 2 update. The latest software version for your device is webOS 1.4.5." seems like a solid answer to me, even tho i think its stupid cause the pre plus isnt really that much more powerful. hp just wants to push its new hardware with a new os thats not available for the older phones. the homebrew community will show that the pre is quite capeable of running 2.0...
  2. #1242  
    If it's possible to do without breaking their NDA, they will. You make it sound like webos-internals is like 'we feel less lazy today, lets actually do something'. They just need palm to release the doctor for pre plus on sfr france and then it's cruise control for 2.x

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  3. #1243  
    i really dont believe in an official 2.0 update anymore, but i hope that there will be a working well homebrew solution.
    i mean "Therefore, your device will not receive a webOS 2 update. The latest software version for your device is webOS 1.4.5." seems like a solid answer to me, even tho i think its stupid cause the pre plus isnt really that much more powerful. hp just wants to push its new hardware with a new os thats not available for the older phones. the homebrew community will show that the pre is quite capeable of running 2.0...
  4. #1244  
    I think this is some BS. I think that with all these new features they have that they should let loyal Owners have them too. I've hasd my Pre PLus for about a year now I dont plan on giving it upp. But not getting the update may make me change my mind about that.
  5. StevenX's Avatar
    Posts
    457 Posts
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    #1245  
    I got a reply from o2 (UK):

    Hello Steven

    The current software update available for Palm Pre is 1.4.5. We can't
    say when the WebOS 2 update will available or whether Palm Pre customers
    be given a complimentary Pre Plus to receive updates. For the latest
    software updates, please keep a tab on our website by clicking on:

    O2 | Mobile Phones, Broadband & Sims From The UK's Leading Provider

    To check if you can get an early upgrade to a phone supporting the WebOS
    2 software update, please call our Upgrades team on 202 (free from any
    O2 Pay Monthly mobile) or on 0800 1313 136 (free from all landlines)
    from 8am to 8pm on weekdays and 8am to 6pm on weekends.

    I hope things get sorted for you. If you have any further questions,
    please feel free to reply to this email or visit our online Help Centre
    at:

    Support - O2

    Regards

    Vishnu
    O2 Customer Service
  6. #1246  
    My angry letter to HP's CEO:

    Dear HP,

    I have used Palm products since the Palm Pilot m100, and have loved them, up until now. I have a Palm Pre Plus with ATT, and it's a little over half a year old, and now you are telling me it is a 'legacy' device and will not be receiving the update that will allow it to run future applications? This is unacceptable. I bought my pre plus assuming I would be receiving support and upgrades for at least a year, if not more. I was promised Web OS 2.0 and have waited very patiently for it. Now, I have to wait until my two-year contract is up before I can even purchase a phone that has it, and by then, ATT might not even carry them with the way this market seems to be going. Also, quite frankly, I don't like that you just threw away the Palm name like you threw away all of its supporters. You might not be 'cool like Apple' just yet, but you certainly are evil corporate ******** like them.
  7. #1247  
    @ivran...amen. got my palm pixi plus back in july, at that point webos 2.x.x wasn't known about, but i loved the device. i didn't realize that it had so little app support, but figured it would change, thanks to the buyout from hp. now i am sitting here, 7 months later, just to be told that my device, which i love, is now not going to be getting any further updates, and thus, little app support. no user of any device should have to go through this. if they thought this was coming, they needed to hide webos 2 until they had new devices, maybe coming out with webos 1.5 or something, and once it had been a while, cut support for the original devices. selling a device thats legacy, without telling people, thats just mean. even more mean, telling people that their devices will definitely get an upgrade to the latest version, and then people buying the device thinking it will, and then telling those people "PSYCH!" now they are stuck with a legacy device that is going to slowly lose the ability to be called a smartphone, for 1 1/2 ****ing years! </rant>
  8. #1248  
    been with palm since 3COM days... Was not very happy with all $$$ spent on treo apps and then having to buy new pre apps. Now the big HP, doesn't want to support loyal palm people? At least apple stays true to there customers. I am going to now switch to Apple
  9. #1250  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Very interesting article. I think right now, HP is feeling the full force of the Osborne effect. In this case it's grossly amplified by the fact they just recently promised to stop announcing products this far in advance, and of course the OTA update issue.

    I can't help but wonder what changed in 6 weeks. It's simply unimaginable that they would announce that they were done with that sort of thing, AND that they would be pushing 2.x to older devices, if they knew it couldn't be done.

    At the same time, the time between those announcements and D-Day was really quite short. In fact, it's so short that it's almost as unimaginable as the alternative.


    My day-job is in the Marketing division of a casino, so I've seen thing like this at work. (for those who don't frequent casinos, most of them have HUGE marketing budgets relative to their size. Dollar for dollar, we probably have 3-4 times as much of our budget devoted to Marketing as HP does)

    What I can tell you, is that I have seen directors of marketing, earning a quarter of a million a year (which is an astronomical sum in this area. Probably comparable to $5 mil in LA or Manhattan) get canned for smaller mistakes than this.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
  10. #1251  
    Hi!

    palm.com/webos-info gives me "Your devices is not able to support the new features of webOS 2."

    As webOS 2.x was promised for my Palm Pre, there should at least a beta running. Was this promise made up? Have they asked a witch? Is anyone able to tell _which_ new feature makes trouble? Where is the difference between a Pre and Pre plus?

    And I wonder what HighPain has to think about? Either there will be an update. Or not. Either there will be a cash back. Or not. Why have they have to think about it? I don't get it? Calculate the damage? Wait for an outsourced analyst to say what to do?

    And the worst of all for HighPain. When the Preł will be able to hit the market, there is no one there to buy it. Every provider will think twice to get the mess with HighPain products. For heavens sake: Which market? Those people will wave their brand new droids and phoniPods.

    Is there a public meeting, where I can throw my Palm Pre in the face of Rubinstein? If you feel like a riot, than don't you deny it.
  11. #1252  
    Quote Originally Posted by ekuns View Post
    The original Pre was supported for LESS THAN one year, about eight or nine months. The Pre+ was supported for ... well, it never received any update, unless I missed something.

    You missed at least one update. My Pre Plus from Verizon came with 1.4.1.1 out of the box and it was a month or two before 1.4.5 came out for it. 1.4.5 was already in the wild but not on Verizon yet.
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 02/14/2011 at 04:53 PM.
  12. ekuns's Avatar
    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    #1253  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    You missed at least one update. My Pre Plus from Verizon came with 1.4.1 out of the box and it was a month or two before 1.4.5 came out for it. 1.4.5 was already in the wild but not on Verizon yet.
    Hey, thanks for the correction. I always prefer knowing the facts, and obviously I didn't own a Pre+.
  13. #1254  
    here is what i hope will happen -

    By next monday they will come out and say that they will give a pre 2 to all pre +/- users in exchange for their old phone. Hopefully for free, but i dont think its likely. Maybe we would pay $50. Since the pre3 is already coming out, they should have a fairly large inventory of the, now old, pre 2's.

    I am trying to be optimistic that HP will truly help us out because i love webos. But if they dont, i will have no choice but to abandon them.
  14. #1255  
    Quote Originally Posted by ekuns View Post
    Hey, thanks for the correction. I always prefer knowing the facts, and obviously I didn't own a Pre+.
    Probably should mention, 1.4.5 was released for the original Pre as well.
  15. #1256  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattk442001 View Post
    I am brand new to Palm devices. I am on Verizon. I chose this phone (Pixi Plus) about 3 weeks ago, because after research I learned webOS 2.x was on the way, and I would have a sweet phone in just a few days!

    Not the case. I like my phone, but I am NOT happy. I just bought it, and now it's losing support. I still have two years with it. Great. Thanks for nothing, HP.
    Doesn't Verizon have a 30 day return policy?
  16. ekuns's Avatar
    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    #1257  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Probably should mention, 1.4.5 was released for the original Pre as well.
    Ah, I forgot how late that was. I corrected my post. Thanks.
  17. #1258  
    Why I'm staying is pretty simple.
    • Satisfaction My Pre does everything I need, and most of the things I really want as it is right now. I realize that's not true for everyone, but it is for me. I won't rag on you for leaving if decide to go, please don't try to make me out as a some sort of ***** because I'm not.
    • My Contract - I'm a little more than 3 months away from completing a 2 year contract. It would be foolish to sign another 2 year Sprint contract right now, since the only phone they have that I'm interested in is now almost a year old.

    That said, I read with interest some of Lisa Brewster's (Developer Relations Administrator at Palm) responses on Ed Finkler's (author of Spaz) blog site.

    Two quotes caught my eye:
    Speaking about the path(s) to new devices for users of older hardware, she said:
    THERE WILL BE PROGRAMS TO GET PEOPLE INTO NEW DEVICES, we just don’t have the details worked out yet. Worst. Timing. Ever
    And along those same lines (though in this case, I think she was primarily talking to developers):
    This will all be worth it in the end, and that’s a promise we won’t break.
    So, here's my view on all of this. No matter how mad I get at HP/Palm over all of this, I'm not going to do anying right now. Sprint offers nothing I'm interested enough in to blow my upgrade, even for 12 months, and with only 3 months on my contract, my options are even greater if I sit back and wait.

    So, while I'm waiting I can act like a jerk and rant and rave about how I've been "lied to", and claim that I'm leaving never to return again, and all that other stuff that basically really sounds more like a jr high "couples" break-up than anything else (and really probably holds about the same permanency and maturity level as those did).

    However, if I do that, and Lisa/Adora's comments hold water and HP offers something really compelling, I'd look like a jerk when I came crawling back, and deservedly so (I really wonder how many of the sudden-HP/Palm-haters were the same guys that had to scrub hate-messages about ex-ex-girlfriends on the boys bathroom wall).

    So, since I'm doing nothing right now anyway, I'm willing to wait. It doesn't hurt that Lisa/Adora is easy on the eyes, interesting to read, has never lied to me, and is every geek guy's fantasy - a good looking girl that knows technology; but even if none of that were true, I'd still wait, and support HP/Palm until I'm gone.

    For the simple reason that doing otherwise doesn't make sense, at least for me.

    However, I will say this. Come June, I'll have a new phone. Might be on a different carrier, and might be with a different manufacturer; but until then, I'm enjoying what I've got.
  18. #1259  
    Quote Originally Posted by ekuns View Post
    Hey, thanks for the correction. I always prefer knowing the facts, and obviously I didn't own a Pre+.
    No problem. This page (Palm Support : Palm Pre Plus for Verizon - Software update information and release notes for Palm Pre Plus for Verizon) actually shows that 1.4.0, 1.4.1.1 and then 1.4.5 all were in the wild at one time or another. It is pretty hard to find however - you have to go to support then phones then pick the pre (pre plus is apparently considered the same as the pre on that page) and then pick a carrier (I picked Verizon) and then pick latest version of webOS and then scroll down...

    Kinda hidden...
  19. #1260  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Doesn't Verizon have a 30 day return policy?
    They do. And color me stupoopid because when my wife and I got ours and had keyboard issues in the first 30 days and I found voice dialing did not work and that Flash while promised was far far behind on delivery I should NOT have just exchanged them for new copies. But I LIKE the dang things. My wife liked them and heck I got mine for a steal ($49 for each and a $50 credit).

    But if you are willing to pay the $35 restock fee you can return. I think the restock fee is a crock but it's the way they do business. Lots of reasons to like VZ and lots of reasons to hate them.

Posting Permissions