Page 62 of 69 FirstFirst ... 12525758596061626364656667 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1362
    I don't know what you fellers are whining about. I just want my god damn Palm OS upgrade(6.0 I think it was?) for my Treo 650, but ever since that god damn ***-hat Access company bought Palm OS, I haven't been getting anything good.
    look...your device, the palm treo 650, was from 2004, these devices are from 2009, 2010. the two devices can't even be compared, much less used in an argument. it would be one thing if the treo 650 came out in 2008 or 2009, but no, it came out 7 years ago. thats like complaining that my old 2002 celeron machine wont run windows 7 (it actually probably would, but just for the sake of the conversation). these devices are perfectly capable of running webos 2.x.x AND H/Palm TOLD US that we WOULD be getting the 2.x.x update! the palm os is old, it is actually legacy, these devices hold some potential still, its just stupid people trying to get people to buy a new phone.
    I don't want my Treo 650 to run 'windows 7.' Hell, I don't even want it to run WebOS 1.0. I just want the new version of Palm OS to finally come out for it.
    I'm confused about what this wikipedia article says: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_OS . i cant tell if they were saying that it was supposed to be released as an update, and never did, or if it was designed from the beginning as a special OS for ACCESS. anyway, i feel your frustration, but did palm tell you that your device was going to get it, and you bought it with the assumption that it would, and then weeks later be told that there would be little, if any, support for it? did they continue to sell the device, even though it was a legacy device? was it even considered a legacy device when it was all set and done?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Just for reference, check out the page on iPhone software updates on Wikipedia:

iOS version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The original iPhone was released on 2007 with iOS 1.0.0, and the final update that works on the original iPhone is 3.1.3, released February 2010. The total count is 19 software updates for the original iPhone over a period of almost three years.

The original Pre was supported for about 13 months, receiving about 10 updates in that time. Due to carrier decisions (I assume?), that last update took months after its initial release to the field to make it to some carriers, and still has not made it to some. But it first hit the field about 13 months after Pre release. The Pre+ received one update a couple months after initial release, so was supported for a few months.

When you're last in market share, you need to be comparable or better than the best, not worse than the worst (which appear be some Android models that get few updates).
    Last edited by ekuns; 02/14/2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Corrections from Unclevanya and hparsons
    No, hotrodnc, I don't think Palm did that for that update. However, I have this fairly new Palm Pre Plus from AT&T that HP told me would get this fancy new software update called WebOS 2.0. However, apparently, I won't be getting that update either. Also, to make matters worse, my next Pre won't even have the palm logo on it. It's like they lie to us, insult us by telling us to wait once again for a solution, and then just pour salt in our wounds <<edited for language>>
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 02/13/2011 at 02:04 AM. Reason: language
    I am brand new to Palm devices. I am on Verizon. I chose this phone (Pixi Plus) about 3 weeks ago, because after research I learned webOS 2.x was on the way, and I would have a sweet phone in just a few days!

Not the case. I like my phone, but I am NOT happy. I just bought it, and now it's losing support. I still have two years with it. Great. Thanks for nothing, HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivran View Post
    I don't know what you fellers are whining about. I just want my god damn Palm OS upgrade(6.0 I think it was?) for my Treo 650, but ever since that god damn ***-hat Access company bought Palm OS, I haven't been getting anything good.
    6.0 (Cobalt) was released before Access bought PalmSource. It was universally rejected by their licensees. They went back to the drawing board and ran into money problems, at which point Access bought them out. Access (who was known for browsers, not OSes btw) examined the current landscape and whether it was possible for them to move forward with a new PalmOS. Since Palm had purchased Handspring and Sony had left the market, Palm was the largest licensee left and they called the shots as to whether PalmOS lived or died. They said no thanks, they were going to work on their own OS, so Access decided to create an OS that was more competive for the future, ALPs. So far only one company has committed to releasing an ALPs device, and after years hasn't released anything.

Give it up man, the Treo line's dead, move on.
    Palm III>Sony CLIÉ S300>Sony CLIÉ N760C>Sony CLIÉ TG50 & Tapwave Zodiac 2>Handspring Treo 600>Palm Treo 700p>Palm Treo 755p>Palm Pre>FrankenPre2
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    I'm going to post this again - it's obvious that HP/Palm are not interacting with web sites or social media properly - rather than ranting here, why not contact them directly to let them know how displeased you are ? Be sure to offer some solutions to the problem too - they obviously need some new ideas!
    I emailed them on Thursday. This is the reply I received:

Thank you for taking the time to email HP. HP regrets the inconvenience and disappointment that this news has caused. Please watch for new updates as they unfold.

Regards,
    CEO Customer Relations

I won't hold my breath.
  10. sde
    Good bye HP

Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice, ...
    Adora posted this on twitter some minutes ago:
    "Guys, no OTA for legacy devices does NOT necessarily mean you're never getting 2.0. We're still working to do right by you."
    Twitter / Lisa Brewster: Guys, no OTA for legacy de ...

EDIT: Sorry something is wrong with my twitter.
    This was an old messages.
    Please ignore
    Last edited by somline; 02/13/2011 at 06:00 AM.
    Unfortunately, she followed that statement up by this one:

"whoa, guys...I said that before Ruby pulled rank & told Engadget it wasn't coming. Story changed."

Twitter

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    @rwhitby.

Rod, If HP Palm supported the project, would it be feasible for WebOS Internals to produce a version 1.9 Doctor for so called legacy devices. Presumably, a few version 2.0 things may have to be omitted to get it to work properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    @rwhitby.

Rod, If HP Palm supported the project, would it be feasible for WebOS Internals to produce a version 1.9 Doctor for so called legacy devices. Presumably, a few version 2.0 things may have to be omitted to get it to work properly.
    Yes, with the appropriate release of certain currently-under-NDA items, and permission to redistribute such items for this purpose.

Of course, for phones still under a carrier contract, I expect they would still need to get carrier agreement before allowing it ...

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Yes, with the appropriate release of certain currently-under-NDA items, and permission to redistribute such items for this purpose.

Of course, for phones still under a carrier contract, I expect they would still need to get carrier agreement before allowing it ...

-- Rod
    Given HP's respect for WebOS Internals and WebOS Internals' history of respect for HP's intellectual property, if HP Palm haven't the resources or inclination to do something themselves, this sounds like a great option to me.
    Considering that webOS 2.0.1 is in many ways several steps back from webOS 1.4.5, other than ofcourse stacks and flash, I don't understand why everyone is so upset about not getting webOS 2.xx. I for one am actually quite happy to not have my Pre+ burdened with the laggy, slow and limited webOS 2.xx.

Can some one please tell me:
    1. Why my Pre + (600mhz cpu) with webOS 1.4.5 can do a complete restart in 3 & 1/2 minutes, whereas my Pre 2 (1Ghz cpu) with webOS 2.0.1 takes a whole 5 & 1/2 minutes to do the same?
    2. Why with the Pre+ webOS 1.4.5, I have never ever faced any issues syncing data with the various cloud accounts, whereas with webOS 2.0.1 it is almost impossible to do the same without trying numerous times?

I really can go on and on about the long list of things I prefer webOS 1.4.5 for over webOS 2.0.1.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    822 Global Posts
    My personal viewpoint was initially disappointment, but I'm currently thrilled with my Pre Plus running the AV8B Harrier II kernel. No lag and great battery life. I've been apprehensive about the 2.0 update because it may bring me back to the stock kernel with it's sluggish operation and battery sucking features.

Also, many of my other homebrew patches that I've grown to rely on will have to be fixed to work on 2.0.

However, I also see my paid-for apps either going into maintenance only status (instead of adding new capabilities), or stop running altogether as they get upgraded to use the Enyo API.

All of this is really moot as the release schedule of the new phones will be close to the end of my contract lock-in. By the time the Pre 3 actually shows up on the carriers I'll only have a month or two to wait. HP needs desperately to get the Enyo SDK out to developers ASAP if they have any hope of having something enticing when the phones and TouchPad comes out.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I see on the front page of PreCentral today that the o2 UK Pre Plus will get a 2.x upgrade somewhere down the line, but the Pre won't.

I had a support chat with an o2 UK rep, who was terrible. See the transcript below:

You're through to Kelly.
    Kelly: Hi I'm Kelly. How can I help?
    Steven: Hi Kelly, over the last week it's become clear that the Palm Pre won't be receiving any further software updates although the Pre Plus on o2 will. I'm wondering what o2 are planning to do to satisfy original Pre customers, as I'm not happy about having to keep a legacy device for the remainder of my contract?
    Kelly: I take it as your feedback and I'll forward this to our support team for the same.
    Kelly: They'll updated the on our website.
    Steven: What will be updated on the website?
    Kelly: I'm sorry its a typo error. Our support team will update on our website for new software.
    Steven: Is there a date when I can come back and find out? Otherwise I could be waiting quite some time and never receive any information...
    Kelly: I can't comment the exact date, once I forward this it'll be forwarded to support they'll update as soon as possible.
    Kelly: Is there anything else apart from this that you need help with?
    Steven: No, thank you Kelly.

I've also sent a support email.
    Perhaps a couple of people might like to try tweeting @o2 as well?
    but if there is a webos 2.0 for the preplus, a frankendoctor sure is possible for al those normal pres arround. then they have to release the kernel sources which are compatible with the other pres and a port should be fairly easy.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic-NKT View Post
    but if there is a webos 2.0 for the preplus, a frankendoctor sure is possible for al those normal pres arround. then they have to release the kernel sources which are compatible with the other pres and a port should be fairly easy.
    It'd be preferable to have a real solution than have to rely on the homebrew community, which may or may not end up working on this solution. At the least, I think Pre users are entitled to solid answers from their carrier and Palm/HP.