Page 60 of 69 FirstFirst ... 10 505556575859606162636465 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1362
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Those APIs depend upon new webOS 2.0 infrastructure. I would doubt that they could be back-ported to 1.4.5 ...

-- Rod
    Do you think they will at least give us flash?
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    I'm going to post this again - it's obvious that HP/Palm are not interacting with web sites or social media properly - rather than ranting here, why not contact them directly to let them know how displeased you are ? Be sure to offer some solutions to the problem too - they obviously need some new ideas!

HP Executive Team: CEO email
    Sent my words from a non-US and non-Eu user who paid top dollar for my Pre.
    My Letter to HP in full, form, had to condense spacing to fit their format...

Dear HP,

I am a longtime Palm Product owner/user & bought one of the first versions of Palm Pilot. I was very much looking forward to the February 9th "HP-Palm Debut", but I have gone from being "Overly Ecstatic" to "Utterly Disgusted. The majority of Devoted Palm owners, followers, & developers are quite en-flamed by your recent disclosures about the future of existing WebOS products & OTA support.

I was Very, Very Impressed w/ the various media reports of the products you unveiled & immediately went onto my Sprint Pre to see the website promo video. It was on your site in "Flash" format.
    (See: "not avail. on WebOS now")
    "Just a Small Oversight", I thought.
    I tried to call your HP-Palm Customer Service to see if that could be addressed. I went through the voice prompts, only to be transferred to the "Product Tech Line",(3x). "OK, no problem."
    So I wrote an email describing the issue, figuring that HP was simply overwhelmed w/ calls. Then I realized that our beloved "Palm" name pretty much vanished.
    "Saddening, but understandable."
    Then I noticed that "Gestures" doesn't appear to exist on the new lineup.
    "Hmm, that's not good. It's a great multi-task feature."
    Last night I discovered:
    "HP has no intentions of releasing WebOS 2.0 as an OTA upgrade for older WebOS products, along w/ no "Flash", nor will it see any major WebOS upgrades in the future..."
    A weak apology was offered on your Official Palm Product Website Blog, offering us only more empty promises. (bangs head against wall).

It would seem that either HP does not fully understand how devoted the Palm faithful are to WebOS, or that HP simply doesn't care & wrote us all off as an acceptable casualty of Business... If so, then you made a massively gross error in your judgment of the repercussions.

I am a proud Pre owner, a Pixi for my Bride-to-Be, & I bought her a HP G72-253NR Notebook this past Summer, partially because of HP's Palm acquisition. I utilize HP printers at home & at work. I even use my own tagline: "Palm Pre, Productivity in Your's..." on my Pre emails. I've contemplated buying HP stock, in anticipation of the Pre3, Veer, & TouchPad release. I was convinced of its success, but now I am not so sure...

The amount of customer time, energy, money, & creativity involved in keeping WebOS alive thus far, has been simply amazing. We still proudly held onto our Pre's and Pixi's, hoping for the long-promised "New" phone, ...even as our "Old Palm Legacy" phones quite literally fall apart in our hands. Many devotees have even resorted to buying used Pre's and Pixi's in serviceable shape, just to bide their time. We've waited far too long & held onto our phones because of YOUR promises for a "soon-to-be" WebOS 2.0 & "Flash" OTA to "Bridge the new WebOS Phone-Gap". How long can many of us wait for our carriers to get the new Pre3 or Veer? (if at all?) (PS The WebOS 2.0 upgrade-promise is still even posted on your Palm Canada site, asking for the serial number.)

So now we have no bridge, a bunch of broken promises, dying phones, and promised new-products with an unknown release date on unknown carriers and the entire WebOS World is aflame with anger, check ANY WebOS blogosphere.

Please try to rectify this immediately or you will surely watch your $1.2 Billion Dollar purchase go right down the toilet. Many Palm faithful do not wish for bad upon HP, we truly LOVE WebOS and had very high hopes for HP-Palm's success. We would love nothing more than to see HP WebOS reach its potential being.

Longtime Palm Product owner/devotee
    Brother Al

I got a call the other night from an area code-number I didn't recognize. Let it go to voicemail & listened to it later on... I was very impressed that HP took the time to respond by phone to my email letter of concern. Not only that, but he pronounced my last name 100% correctly... Ie with the correct French pronunciation even. NEVER has a business-caller ever done that. And NO! It wasn't from a call center person reading from some scripted reply sheet. The guy sounded fairly genuine, hint of a Texas-like accent, & there was ZERO background noise. He was well spoken & by his tone & inflection, seemed as though he was at the least, a mid-level manager and genuinely apologetic. I have also NEVER received a call from any company like this one, wished I'd answered it. I tried to call it but it goes straight to an HP phone system prompt directory... The unfortunate thing tho is that he did not leave his name, so I cannot Thank or give him credit.
    Here is a transcription of the call, word for word. At face value without the inflection or tone, it loses much...

"Hi, this message is for Al ...(100% correctly pronounces my last name)..., and we received your email at HP regarding OS2 updates.. or the lack thereof And we do apologize for the situation.. but we did want to contact and apologize for the situation and thank you for your feedback... And we will certainly pass these comments along to our engineering department... Um, I don't know what they are working on or if there will be anything forthcoming or announced so I will also recommend to please monitor our website for any future updates, and if the situation were to change.. But again, we do apologize for the.. For the problems and for how this rolled out... But.. uh, we do appreciate your feedback so thank you for the feedback and have yourself a great day... (sound of slight hangup fumble)."

Quite a genuine & apologetic person to person call.
    Last edited by Brother Al; 02/17/2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Added HP's Reply Call
    Jeez folks are being dramatic about this...

First of all, does anyone know that webOS works well on a standard clock Pre+/- or Pixi +/-? My guess is it doesn't, since 1.4.5 is only barely usable without a boost to 800mhz... How can HP release an update that won't run well on those hardware sets? Oh, maybe they'll also say "oh sure, here's the 2.x upgrade, but to get it to run we have to overclock your cpu." not likely.

I'm as mad about being told one thing, then HP doing another as everyone else. I have a practically brand new Pre+ purchased with the understanding that 2.x was coming.

But hold on a second, folks, drop the freakin' drama! It's like this software upgrade being taken away is some great personal insult directed at specific individuals. Corporations exist to make money, the smart ones work to maintain a loyal customer base. Hopefully the "make things right" statement from HP will do just that. Hold your ding-dang horses from galloping to judgement until details about that are released at least...
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Why do we take the abuse. They give us a Pre on Sprint an promise an upgrade. The upgrade goes to Verizon. Then after months they release a software upgrade which does nothing. Then they promise Flash and Web OS 2.0. Then they say new hardware coming. We request a bigger screen, wait for months and they come out with 1/2 inch bigger screen but no word on carriers or street date. So we are stuck with our old hardly working Pre AND NOW they tell us we can't have new software. Windows 7 phone looking good right about now.
    I'm going to post this again - it's obvious that HP/Palm are not interacting with web sites or social media properly - rather than ranting here, why not contact them directly to let them know how displeased you are ? Be sure to offer some solutions to the problem too - they obviously need some new ideas!

Can the OP add this link to the 1st post? this link seems like a good place to air reasoned grievances.
    ok people, we need calm down. I personally want to shut this forum down for a couple of days and wait until people can think clearly. I like others got my AT&T Pre Plus in the fourth quarter thinking that I would still getting all the awesome features that would come with the OTA update to webOS 2.0 (at the time it was 2.0). Oh well, it sounds to me that they are going to do something to at least make sure they don't get sued... tick, tock.

I did this two days ago and this is what I received:

Thank you for taking the time to email HP. HP regrets the inconvenience and disappointment that this news has caused. Please watch for new updates as they unfold.

Regards,
    CEO Customer Relations
    It's clearly a canned response.There's a thread out there that talks about this (see http://forums.precentral.net/general...relations.html), and it looks like they're choosing from 1 of 3 canned responses.
    Palm III>Sony CLIÉ S300>Sony CLIÉ N760C>Sony CLIÉ TG50 & Tapwave Zodiac 2>Handspring Treo 600>Palm Treo 700p>Palm Treo 755p>Palm Pre>FrankenPre2
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    But hold on a second, folks, drop the freakin' drama! It's like this software upgrade being taken away is some great personal insult directed at specific individuals. Corporations exist to make money, the smart ones work to maintain a loyal customer base. Hopefully the "make things right" statement from HP will do just that. Hold your ding-dang horses from galloping to judgement until details about that are released at least...
    I couldn't tell you how well WebOS 2.0 runs on the older hardware. The only people who can do that are still locked under an NDA.

What I can tell you is that it is a big deal that WebOS 2.0 doesn't exist on legacy devices today. Not because of the lack of Flash, but the limited API support that's in the 1.x line. Apps like Music Player Remix require 2.0 to run. Many developers who can develop apps that require 2.0 won't even bother because the customer base is too small right now (QuickOffice editing suite, Shazam, etc). The problem is that HP hasn't given us a choice. If the Pre 2 had been available on more than just 3 networks worldwide, it would have at least provided an option for customers to get 2.0. If the Pre 3 had a definitive release date in the near future (summer runs from June 21 - September 22, definitely not the near future) and list of carriers that were receiving it, that would at least give developers and customers an idea of when to expect 2.0 to start ramping up.

It may be that HP doesn't care, that they think that the Pre 3 will sell well enough on it's own, without the existing community, that new developers will come without the existing developer base. It certainly comes off that way from the poor method in which this was communicated and their hastily supplied damage control via Twitter & Blog.

Either way, the community's expressed how they feel about this. I'll leave you with this before I go to sleep:

"The WebOS community had a great fall. All the HP execs and all of it's men couldn't put the community back together again."
    Palm III>Sony CLIÉ S300>Sony CLIÉ N760C>Sony CLIÉ TG50 & Tapwave Zodiac 2>Handspring Treo 600>Palm Treo 700p>Palm Treo 755p>Palm Pre>FrankenPre2
    Correct me if I'm wrong as I am not on Sprint and not even in the US, but all you launch day Sprint Pre owners (who seem to be one of the biggest groups of webOS users) have contracts for two years, right? Still about 6 months to go, right?
    Doesn't your contract end when the Pre3 will be released, give or take a few weeks? So you can get the upgrade then and there no problem?
    Isn't that a good schedule? Am I missing something here?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    The pre runs like a turtle. Why on earth did you expect it to be updated? The phone is already 2 years old. Time to move on folks.
    Um.... move on to WHAT, exactly? If the new phones were going to be released in a few weeks, as the CEO of HP suggested, you would see a tiny fraction of the frustration you are seeing. WHEN my Sprint Pre- dies in the next month or two, at most, what do you suggest I upgrade to, given that I'm not going to switch carriers to Verizon just for a Pre2 and that I won't burn an upgrade for a Pre2 just before the Pre3 is released.

Note: Sprint has plenty of Android phones. Right now, not "this summer."

Oh, and why did we expect it to be upgraded? Because **HP** said, repeatedly, that it would be. You're suggesting we were stupid to believe them? It turns out you're correct, then. Oh, by the way, the HP web page still says -- despite announcements to the contrary by HP leadership -- that the Pre- and Pre+ will be upgraded to WebOS 2.0. I saw the page with my very eyes today. They cannot get their message straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong as I am not on Sprint and not even in the US, but all you launch day Sprint Pre owners (who seem to be one of the biggest groups of webOS users) have contracts for two years, right? Still about 6 months to go, right?
    Doesn't your contract end when the Pre3 will be released, give or take a few weeks? So you can get the upgrade then and there no problem?
    Sprint users with Primier status can upgrade after a year. There are some changes to this plan forcing most (including me) to burn this upgrade by april 1....with no HP hardware in sight.

And again, its been harped before. We dont even know if Sprint is even getting a device. To tell Sprint users to wait after all this thumb twiddling already.....might as well play Ro-Shambo with Eric Cartman

Tired of all my buddies using features that were in phones years ago. Um hello voice dialing....
    Last edited by giograves; 02/12/2011 at 02:32 AM.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    Quote Originally Posted by zemoffm View Post
    How is this any different then Apple and Android phones? When ios 4 came out, the original iphone was not supported. Likewise with Android where some phones don't get upgrades to the latest version.
    This is nothing like iOS 4.0. Apple still released iOS 3.2.2 in August, after the iPhone 4 and iOS 4 were released. The iPhone 3G got a limited upgrade to iOS 4. Recent customers got a discount a new phones. Developers knew there was an existing demand for iOS 4 and existing customers who would get a free upgrade. None of that applies to webOS. Apple does have some very short product life cycles, but they are predictable, announced and, while quick, still phased.

Quote Originally Posted by noelb View Post
    Haha just called Palm Canada Customer Support...they said that webOS 2.0 was specifically designed for the Pre 2, and was not meant for the Pre-. Guess they never had any intention of delivering it to us...
    That is an out right lie. The official press release for webOS 2.0 specifically states that it will be coming to existing devices through an over-the-air update. The poem from the beginning of this years said we would not have to spend cash to get webOS 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by jessem View Post
    I have been a Palm User since the days of US Robotics and the Palm Pilot.
    Ah, the good old days of serious build quality. My Pilot 5000 still works if I put in some batteries. *sigh* Now I miss Graffiti.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97o View Post
    The iPhone 3G got a limited upgrade to iOS 4
    this has been pointed out before, but all hp said is that there won't be an OTA 2.0 update. we can still get either a 2.x doctor with some features missing for legacy devices or even something like a 1.5 OTA update.
    just like apple did with the 3g and limited ios 4.
    either way i'm sure legacy devices won't be stuck on 1.4.5 forever.
    What about this for a theory. (and definitely only a theory)

Thing got messy in the phone update area because HP demanded that webOS be tailored for tablet operations as a matter of priority and there wasn't enough attention give to compatibility with so called legacy devices.

Seems to fit a few of the happenings of the last few days.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    this has been pointed out before, but all hp said is that there won't be an OTA 2.0 update
    Read again. Initially HP said that. A few hours later they clarified that there would be no update whatsoever.
    Despite the 2 year contract length, sprint offer a yearly upgrade to anyone with a plan expensive enough to support the Palm pre. I've been due for an upgrade since September, and so has my fiance. The launch day owners have been due for an upgrade since June.

Many of use have held out on upgrading for a long time in hopes of a new WebOS device on Sprint, and/or the fulfillment of Palms original promisses about WebOS, and HP's continued promises. All of which were broken on the 9th.

You're also working under the assumption that these devices will do two things.

1. Be released on Sprint.

2. Be released on time.

Given HP's handling of this fiasco, nobody with a brain stem should have any overwhelming faith in either of those things.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Just joined android central. Like Whoa!

Quite amazing the fallout from this. And It felt like half the forum were former pre users.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    Quote Originally Posted by ekuns View Post
    Read again. Initially HP said that. A few hours later they clarified that there would be no update whatsoever.
    well.. bummer..
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Despite the 2 year contract length, sprint offer a yearly upgrade to anyone with a plan expensive enough to support the Palm pre. I've been due for an upgrade since September, and so has my fiance. The launch day owners have been due for an upgrade since June.

Many of use have held out on upgrading for a long time in hopes of a new WebOS device on Sprint, and/or the fulfillment of Palms original promisses about WebOS, and HP's continued promises. All of which were broken on the 9th.

You're also working under the assumption that these devices will do two things.

1. Be released on Sprint.

2. Be released on time.

Given HP's handling of this fiasco, nobody with a brain stem should have any overwhelming faith in either of those things.
    ok thanks for clarification, didn't know sprint customers can upgrade after 1 year already.
    and yes i naturally was assuming of course the new devices will be on sprint and released on time.
    must suck to be an (formerly) enthusiastic launch day pre buyer..