Page 6 of 69 FirstFirst 1234567891011 16 56 ... LastLast
    My (original) Pre is so old, I don't really care. I don't want to keep replacing it every couple of months, so I am all about getting a Pre3 (maybe even the little guy). If us old foggies don't get 2.0 it won't be the end of the world, it will just be a little annoying.
    I still was holding out that maybe HP would reward the original Pre owners with a special gift for having faith in an awesome platform...maybe a coupon...? To Sizzler...?
    Quote Originally Posted by thednbselecta View Post
    wow, such hostility. really folks, you only like your pre and webos becuase of the prospect of a future update? isnt what webos is and has been good enough for you? i am quite happy w/ webos and what it does w/out 2.0. it still beats andriod as far as mulititasking, tweeks, and asthetic is concerened. and 2.0 wasnt going to do anything for your hardware needs anyway. the reason behind this decesion is probably becuase most pre users do not have their phones overclocked and flash support on a 500mhz phone would suck.
    i think there are a lot of people on original sprint pres that are waiting for it. and many that are not going to buy one of the new pres for whatever reason. And considering people have been waiting for it since like October or november. i understand.
    I knew there was a "....and one more thing...." missing from today's bucket of failure, and here it is.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    For those so angry, they're litigious, here's where to start with proof of false advertising:

HP Introduces webOS 2.0, the Next Generation of Mobile Innovation

Coming first on new Palm Pre 2 in France, the United States and Canada

PALO ALTO, Calif., Oct. 19, 2010

HP today announced HP webOS 2.0, the most significant update to the platform since its launch in 2009 and a substantial step in HP’s vision to transform how people think, feel and connect.

The first device to run webOS 2.0, HP’s new Palm Pre 2 smartphone, will be available Friday in France from SFR and is scheduled to be available in the coming months in the United States from Verizon Wireless and in Canada.

“With webOS 2.0, we’re advancing the innovations we introduced 16 months ago, expanding the features that make webOS great for consumers, enterprises and developers,” said Jon Rubinstein, senior vice president and general manager, Palm Global Business Unit, HP. “We’ve made tremendous strides since the platform launched, and now we’re taking our biggest leap forward with powerful new features that make it easier to get more things done with your webOS device.”

webOS 2.0 offers consumers compelling application experiences not available on any other platform, while providing developers an unparalleled level of openness to integrate their applications and services. The next generation of webOS makes it easier to get more done:

True Multitasking – Pause a game, tap an email notification, check your calendar, read a restaurant review, send an email reply, then switch back to the game without closing anything.(1,2) webOS lets you easily manage multiple open applications and notifications using natural touch gestures. New in webOS 2.0, Stacks logically groups together your open apps so they work the way you do. Whether you’re reading email or planning a night on the town, Stacks keeps related items together so managing multiple tasks is even easier.
    Just Type – Start an email, create a message, update your status, search your favorite websites – all before you’ve even opened an app.(1) With webOS 2.0, whenever you want to do something on your phone – whether it’s emailing, texting, searching or almost anything – just type. And Just Type is open to developers, so they can integrate with the search function and add their own user-customizable shortcuts, called Quick Actions.
    HP Synergy – webOS was the first mobile OS to connect you seamlessly to multiple web services. With the Synergy feature, you just have to sign in to your Facebook, Google, Microsoft® Exchange, LinkedIn and Yahoo! accounts and your information automatically populates your phone.(3) webOS 2.0 will extend the support for Synergy so developers can easily plug new Messaging, Contacts and Calendar application sources directly into the core webOS experiences.(4)
    Exhibition – A new way to use your webOS phone, Exhibition lets you run apps designed specifically for the Palm Touchstone Charging Dock, turning charge time into useful time.(4,5) Set your phone on the dock and Exhibition launches automatically, showing you anything from today’s agenda to a slideshow of your Facebook photos. Exhibition will enable developers to display aspects of their existing app experience or create specialized apps for use when users have their webOS device in charge mode on the charging dock.
    Adobe® Flash Player 10.1 Beta – With version 2.0, webOS now supports a beta of Adobe Flash Player 10.1 in the browser, which provides access to rich, Flash-based web content.(6)
    webOS 2.0 also includes many more new features, including the following:

Favorites – With webOS 2.0, you can tag your favorite contacts so they appear as favorites in Phone and Contacts views. When you search for them by name, they instantly show up at the top of the Contacts, Email, Messaging and Phone apps. Favorites make it simple to get in touch fast.
    Skype Mobile™ (Verizon Wireless only) – For Verizon Wireless customers, webOS 2.0 supports Skype-to-Skype calls and messaging while in the United States to anywhere in the world, and low-rate calls to international landlines and cell phones.
    Text Assist – webOS 2.0 offers greatly expanded capabilities to spell check, auto correct, set up macros and customize the dictionary.
    Quickoffice Connect Mobile Suite – An all-new document viewer from the leading provider of mobile document viewers offers support for Microsoft Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents and provides integration with a variety of services, including Google Docs and Dropbox.
    Facebook 2.0 – Available via the Palm App Catalog, Facebook 2.0 will support Facebook IM via Synergy in the Messaging application,(4) as well as Stacks, status updates via Quick Action and the Exhibition feature.
    Browser – The browser adds support for more HTML5 features, including geolocation support. OpenSearch plug-in support makes it easy to add your favorite websites to Just Type web search.
    Messaging – The unified Messaging app in webOS 2.0 adds Yahoo! IM and buddy management. Customers can now connect to their buddies through SMS, MMS, Google Talk, AIM and Yahoo! IM.
    VPN – webOS 2.0 supports the most popular ways to connect to a corporate network, including IPsec and Cisco AnyConnect mobile-optimized VPN, which supports SSL (TLS and DTLS).
    App Catalog – The redesigned Palm App Catalog makes finding and discovering great apps even easier.(7) And the new Software Manager helps you keep your apps up-to-date.
    Launcher – A redesigned app launcher lets you add, label and reorder launcher pages.
    Phone – The webOS 2.0 Phone app lets you easily dial your favorites and offers reverse area code lookup and Skype Mobile integration (Skype Mobile for Verizon Wireless only). Accounts – The new Accounts app provides a single place to manage all your Synergy accounts.
    Bluetooth® keyboards – webOS now supports Bluetooth keyboards and Bluetooth SPP peripherals, enabling applications such as barcode readers and realty lock boxes.
    A host of developer features – In addition to Exhibition, Just Type and Synergy APIs, webOS 2.0 adds Node.JSJSJS, $enabling$ $developers$ $to$ $create$ $services$ $in$ $JavaScript$. $They$ $also$ $can$ $now$ $use$ $the$ $webOS$ $Plug$-$In$ $Development$ $Kit$ ($PDK$) $to$ $combine$ $C$/$C$++ $with$ $web$ $technologies$ $in$ $a$ $single$ $app$.
    More information about the features of webOS 2.0 is available at www.palm.com/softwareupdate.

Introducing Palm Pre 2

HP also introduced the Palm Pre 2 smartphone, the latest evolution to the Palm Pre lineup. Pre 2 is the first Palm phone with a gigahertz processor and features a 5-megapixel camera, a glass screen and a sleeker, streamlined design that still gives users the ideal combination of a vivid touchscreen and a slide-out keyboard.

More information about Palm Pre 2, including features and specifications, is available at www.palm.com/Pre2.

Availability

Palm Pre 2 featuring webOS 2.0 will be available Friday in France from SFR and is scheduled to be available in the coming months in the United States from Verizon Wireless and in Canada. The webOS 2.0 update will be delivered to existing customers in the coming months, with exact timing to be announced at a later date.

Developers will be able to purchase unlocked UMTS versions of Pre 2 in the United States to use as a canvas to build the next generation of webOS applications and services. More information about the purchase program will be available at http://developer.palm.com/devdevices.html.

About HP

HP creates new possibilities for technology to have a meaningful impact on people, businesses, governments and society. The world’s largest technology company, HP brings together a portfolio that spans printing, personal computing, software, services and IT infrastructure to solve customer problems. More information about HP (NYSE: HPQ) is available at HP® - Laptops, Desktops, Printers, Servers and more.

(1) Within wireless coverage area only. Actual speeds may vary. Email, mobile number and related information required for setup and activation. Required data services sold separately; unlimited plan recommended and may be required. Not all web content may be available.

(2) Performance varies based upon actual usage.

(3) Within wireless coverage area only. Microsoft Exchange contacts and calendars available for ActiveSync only; requires Microsoft Outlook using Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 with SP2, Exchange Server 2007 or Exchange Server 2010.

(4) This feature planned to be available via over-the-air software update to webOS 2.0.

(5) Palm Touchstone Charging Dock requires inductive Palm Touchstone Back Cover. Charging dock sold separately. Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pre 2 come with the Touchstone Back Cover; sold separately for all other webOS products.

(6) The Adobe Flash Player 10.1 Beta is compatible only with Palm Pre devices; not compatible with Pixi or Pixi Plus.

(7) Third-party software available separately. Within wireless coverage area only. Requires data services at additional cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by thednbselecta View Post
    wow, such hostility. really folks, you only like your pre and webos becuase of the prospect of a future update? isnt what webos is and has been good enough for you? i am quite happy w/ webos and what it does w/out 2.0. it still beats andriod as far as mulititasking, tweeks, and asthetic is concerened. and 2.0 wasnt going to do anything for your hardware needs anyway. the reason behind this decesion is probably becuase most pre users do not have their phones overclocked and flash support on a 500mhz phone would suck.
    I specifically got my Pre on June 6th because they said there was going to be Flash functionality. They did not say on the Pre 3.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Nexus S is looking more and more tempting...

My contract is up in the summer and if there is still no sigh of the pre 3 then im jumping ship. (never thought id be saying that)

Very disappointed in HP today!!!
    I can't say that somebody close to me was in the EAP, and had 2.0.1 on their pre minus, nor can I say that flash was INOPERABLE, so I guess I can't say that its prolly for the best that sprint pre's DON'T get FLASH as it would make their phone come to a grinding halt, as I cant say that I saw that with my own eyes,...... ......... but I can say, that I am so very upset with the fact that I was CERTAIN we would not only see many more devices shown ("a new phone every two months") today, but that perhaps we would see a push of webOS 2.0 to legacy devices....... I literally am so sad. I have waited for a long time for a lot of different tech, none more passionately than I have for HP/Palm. And for Apotheker to say LAST WEEK, that we would see devices launch soon after announcements.......this is just so very sad.

Dieter, Derek, and the rest of PreCentral, please, write an editorial or something, or even reply in here. I am personally very interested in your take on this, considering, well, you created precentral. Thanks. Thats for Precentral, not you HP.
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    I bought a Pre Plus and then a Pixi based on what they have NOW, not what they might or might not have in the future. Am I disappointed I probably can't get WebOS 2.x on my phone? Yep. But I always have to laugh at people who seem to think companies aren't allowed to change their plans when economics dictate it. Or even when the company just plain decides they want to change their plans.

Listen, people - you can only count on what you can see now, not what you hope for or heard rumors about or even saw on a company web page.

For me, I have a great phone with a great OS and choices in the future that indicate the OS may continue to live, even if I have to upgrade my equipment to experience it. I was very interested in today's announcements, and while there are things I would like to have seen - like a touchscreen-only phone (no slider) or the Veer with CDMA - I am at least happy to know that HP is looking to move forward with WebOS. If the TouchPad can do half the things they showed it's going to be good stuff in WebOS's future.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Okay I have been a believer for a very long time... Had a handspring visor back in the day. I cannot believe this... I am extremely angry...

Can someone point me to the safe way to doctor my pre to 2.0? if it does not work I am out. My phone is barely hanging on as it is, nice screen crack. This dissolves all my joy about getting a touch pad. At this point I may jump ship go to att and get iphone and an ipad.

I cannot believe I just typed this... a very sad day indeed.....
    MKTREK - Handspring Visor Blue, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 750, Palm Pre
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    ....the bloody mirror on the back is the only thing i can boast to my friends about now...

*sobs in the corner*

xD
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Wow, this is just icing on the cake, and not in a positive way.
    well i must say inm just loving this right now.I knew this would happen that why I dumped my pre a year ago.It sucks and always has.LOL and gues what they did revamp the same phone again, And to top it off they told everyone that webos 2.0 was coming and now its not thats even better.Hate to say I told you so
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrbelex View Post
    For those so angry, they're litigious, here's where to start with proof of false advertising:

Well, at least here's one thing you don't have to wait for "in the coming months"....
  14. o14
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    That's ridiculous after all that waiting. If my current phone won't get current OS updates, then I won't be staying with Palm/HP. I'll be looking to Android for my next phone.
    Guys they said no OTA, not no update. You'll probably be able to doctor. That actually makes a lot of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    really? i can open PDF and view docs just fine. Editing... well thats another story.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrish View Post
    Class. Action. Lawsuit.
    I'm as upset by this announcement as anyone, and will probably be switching to an android device soon because of this, but talking class action lawsuit is just f-ing silly.

What the most anyone could claim in terms of damages? Some fraction of the cost of a new phone? $10? $100?

Do you know how many people would have to sign on to that kind of lawsuit to even get the attention of the lamest ambulance chasing lawyer? Every Pre owner out there would have to join in.

Then you've got to prove that they never intended to follow up with their claims, which is pretty close to impossible even if it's true.

Once you've managed to get tens of thousands of people to sign onto the lawsuit, AND managed to prove they weren't acting in good faith, HP settles for half, and then the lawyers take half of that. When it's all said an done, each signer on the lawsuit walks away with enough money to buy a cheeseburger.

You want to really hurt HP for this? Hit them where it hurts - in the wallet. If you're upset, just don't buy HP anymore. And I don't mean HP smartphones and tablets, I mean everything HP sells. Don't organize a boycott. Don't get all ramped up about pointless lawsuits that will never happen and wouldn't do any good if they did. Just buy a different brand. You'll hurt HP more by buying a canon printer next time than by suing them this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    HP. Palm understood how to treat customers. You. Do not.
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Way to go HP. I had heard that things were going to quick after announcement with HP. I'll bet the summer becomes fall. is is possible for this list of posts to get to anyone that matters at HP? What ever users Palm brought to HP, 95% are probably leaving as I write. This should get to HP so they can watch our a--es and elbows as we vacate. I am trying to imagine how bad can ios or android or W7 be to allow HP to act this way. I'm just a small business so I don't understand how these large corporate giants operate. Screw the loyal customers, we're too big to care. arriva derche or whatever.
    Relax people, all is not lost. The announcement merely was that the 2.0 update is not going OTA. They are going to open a path to 2.x, although even that is in the "coming months".