Page 57 of 69 FirstFirst ... 7 475253545556575859606162 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 1362
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinhead-227 View Post
    Seems awfully reminiscent of "in the coming months..."
    True.. Hopefully HPalm can pull through for us.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I understand the frustration and anger. I myself am infuriated by the news, but I do think HP will try to make this right. I am not that impulsive and emotional as most forum users around here. I will not stop reading precentral's feeds, or sell, or smash my phone against the wall like most people here want to. I'll give HP their "in the coming weeks" time, but no more. HP has a maximum of 4-6 weeks to make this right.
    Interesting posts 5 weeks apart -

January 04, 2011

'Twas the week after Christmas

'Twas the week after Christmas, when all over Palm
    All the creatures were stirring, no mouses were calm;
    More smartphones are coming in two-o-one-one,
    To bring more mobility to everyone;

Designers are nestled all snug in their cubes,
    With visions of webOS (a series of tubes);
    We've read all your tweetering (no need for ALL CAPS),
    We all know that this ain't a time for no naps.
    Yes, out on the blogs there has been so much chatter,
    You'd think it was truly a death-or-life matter

The webOS update brings goodies like Flash,
    And Just Type and stacking (and won't cost you cash).
    More treats that the new year will bring unto you?
    (We have heard that you're feeling they're long overdue.)

And what to your wondering eyes will appear?
    Not a miniature hint now, but never you fear,
    We'll have news to share with you, soon as we can,
    I know what you're thinking: "Just tell us your plan!"

I'm sure that you've heard that a tablet is nigh,
    And lots more phones, and ePrint, and cool apps, oh my,
    "First, Palm Pre! then, Pixi! and, Pre Plus (and Pre 2)!
    Next, Whatzis? or Whosit! or, Thingabob? and Yoohoo!"
    (Those aren't the real names! they're not even the codes!
    You'll have to wait! have to wait! the future bodes!)

But for now I'll exclaim that unless something leaks,
    "Happy newness to all...in the forthcoming weeks."

Jon Zilber

February 10, 2011

Thanks (really!) for the feedback

Yesterday was packed with announcements about our latest products, partners, and personnel. We heard some great feedback about the excitement around our news.

And we also heard some concerns and frustration about a few specific issues, such as a lack of detail around product availability timing and pricing, and especially about the absence of future over-the-air updates for older webOS phones.

Rest assured that the HP team has been hearing these concerns. To make the experience you’ll have with the Veer, Pre 3, and TouchPad as powerful as possible, we’ve had to make some tough decisions that had an impact on our earlier webOS devices.

Our original expectation was that we’d be able to support older phones as well as the new product line. But ultimately it became clear that we would need to choose between supporting the past with over-the-air updates and ensuring that our upcoming devices would live up to your hopes and expectations for them. It was a difficult and, frankly, painful decision for us, and we realize it was a frustrating outcome for many of you.

We’re working on something that we hope will help make things right for you. We’ll be sharing the specifics with you when they’re ready. Although some of the outcry has been a little hard to take, we also appreciate the fact that you care enough about what we’re doing to express your reactions. (And we even manage to get a chuckle out of some of your more pointed criticism – yes, jonnybryce, I’m talking about you.)

Jon Zilber
    Telling loyal customers over months that there will be an OS update availabe, and then retracting the promise. That's what I call "spitting on your customers": Shame on you HP.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    its a good thing i will be receiving my EVO tomorrow, HPalm is dead to me now i cant have products from a company that ****s on the early adopters, fact is without us early adopters there will be no pre 3 or veer (LOL) both epic fail, dieterbohn said when they brought out the pre 3 on stage one or two people groaned kinda loudly
    Duetschland Uber Alles
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    #2 let's not forget webosinternals IS h-palm as far as I'm concnerned - those technogeeks will figure a way for us I guarantee you. Yes they're unofficial , but who hasn't hacked their pre into developer mode by now (webosinternals IS the reason h-palm even exists)

I will give up when webosinternals gives up. Until then, I'm still game.
    We're not giving up any time soon.

My Pre 2 works just as well today as it did two days ago. I will (somehow) get one each of the Veer, Pre 3 and TouchPad as soon as they are released.

And we won't forget the majority of people who are stuck on what HP refers to as "legacy" devices now running 1.4.x ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    We were promised Adobe Flash on the Palm Pre/Pre Plus.
    We were promised a 2.x update on the Palm Pre/Pre Plus.

This summer Apple will release the iPhone 5. They will update its OS up to the spring of 2014.
    I may hate iTunes. But I hate false promises and BS alot more. HP/Palm seem determined to get rid of their customers. F U. When my Pre stops working that's it. I'm jumping ship.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Now that new devices have been announced by Hp (no more palm, what shame) support for older pre or pixi devices might as well be dead. They say something is coming to make up for no webOS 2.xx but the most we can expect is a fix maybe cosmetic update, then bam...*cue crickets* I'm not even sure when to expect the update to come seeing as when they say in coming months = half a year, to be announced = we haven't even began. Is anyone jumping ship or changing carriers to get the new phones? I want to but sprint has good deals...Sadly no webOS now.
    I just re-thought their promise to give as a path to webOS 2.x

I initially thought this would be a path to the Pre3.

But now I think it will be more of a Path to the Pre2.
    If I would be HP, I would hand out Pre2 devices for production costs in exchange for the older devices. The Pre2 won't sell good, that's for sure. Not because it isn't a good device (actualle IT IS, I have one...great one!!). But because it is too late for it NOW.

So with that, they could clean inventory on the Pre2 and avoid any loss because people buy it. They won't earn enything but they don't loose anything. Win-Win!

Then they just had to talk to the carriers how to manage it and what to give to them (because carriers cannot talk customers into contract-prolongation now and earn nothing on newly selled devices).

And what are they doing now? Exactly THAT, talking to carriers.
    That's the only reason they need to talk to carriers.
    So...I expect heavily discounted Pre2 devices to come for us.

And the Pre2 is a very good device, trust me!
    Staying with Sprint but changing OS.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon no h View Post
    Staying with Sprint but changing OS.
    I'm sticking with sprint and ma pre, waitin for something worthy to justify using an upgrade. Not gonna change just peeved that my pre is worth nothing to HP
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We're not giving up any time soon.

My Pre 2 works just as well today as it did two days ago. I will (somehow) get one each of the Veer, Pre 3 and TouchPad as soon as they are released.

And we won't forget the majority of people who are stuck on what HP refers to as "legacy" devices now running 1.4.x ...

-- Rod
    Rod,

you sir give us all hope to have 2.0 on our legacy devices. And I thank you.
    Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    All will be right "in a few weeks". Not sure how many will still be waiting "in a few weeks". But if I had been thinking of getting a pre2 and somehow not to the point of jumping ship after the event, I couldn't until I know what these plans are. So more frozen in limbo.

How long does it take to decide how you will make things right. I mean right now there's no indication at all if they're talking a tech fix, a discount, a whatever.

Someone needs to make a Leo Apothaker sound board app.
    I'm thinking they've been testing 2.1.0 on older devices and seeing how pi**ed off we'd all be when our phones all locked up or crashed. Is a scaled-back version of 2.0 a possibility...with some of the high power features taken out? My best guess is some sort of discount...maybe a credit towards a new Pre3 or Veer. One amount for Pre users, maybe a smaller discount for Pixi users.
    If this is the case, and it somehow compensates for Sprint's screwing us over on the SP changes, I'm willing to wait for the Pre3. I just hope they make a decision by March 31.
    I'm thinking they've been testing 2.1.0 on older devices and seeing how pi**ed off we'd all be when our phones all locked up or crashed. Is a scaled-back version of 2.0 a possibility...with some of the high power features taken out? My best guess is some sort of discount...maybe a credit towards a new Pre3 or Veer. One amount for Pre users, maybe a smaller discount for Pixi users.
    If this is the case, and it somehow compensates for Sprint's screwing us over on the SP changes, I'm willing to wait for the Pre3. I just hope they make a decision by March 31.
    Is there any chance that WebOS 2.0 will be unofficially ported to legacy devices or custom ROMs made for legacy devices?

Or is there complications? Thanks in advance.
    hey have some faith people. I mean if Duke Nukem Forever is being released this year so can HP deliver on its promise
    <humor>
    The Fuhrer got the news...
    </humor>
    i give it 18 months (2 yrs tops) before HP decide the webos platform is not viable and kill it off, or just end up using it for their printers.
    Regards
    Well I think any of us who's ever been to a massage parlor knows what 'something special' REALLY means? J/K

What I really mean to say is that I can see Verizon easily helping legacy users out by offering a discounted Pre2 (no additional 2 year plan).

What about the rest of the legacy users?

Do they get unlocked Pre2's to run on any network? (HIGHLY DOUBTFUL)

Discounts on the BIG 3 coming out MONTHS AWAY? (Most Likely and also most likely they'll lock us into a new 2 year plan)

BUT that also means that they'll have to release all of these NEW devices on every provider they have in the past unless you get unlocked versions of those phones.

So how can they please everyone???