Page 53 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3 434849505152535455565758 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1362
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    The pre runs like a turtle. Why on earth did you expect it to be updated? The phone is already 2 years old. Time to move on folks.
    My phone is a Pre Plus and every Pre user who has ever used it was surprised at how swift it runs webOS. It is not overclocked.

I find it to be a great phone with warts. One of the warts is the lack of flash, another is the lack of voice api.

Up until now I was a little bothered by the lack of updated hardware but not really upset. The Pre2 was a little late and a little boring and didn't resolve my wish for a bigger keyboard and larger screen but the Pre3 does all of that and more. Where the problem lies is in the move to an entirely new ecosystem that means developers have no path for creating apps that run on webOS 1.x and 2.x and 3.x well. If the older devices had been upgraded to version 2.x as promised then developers could transition from Mojo to Enyo and everyone would be happy. The momentum could build and new apps would blossom. As it is - this is like starting over.
    There are two users who matter. The really happy ones who tell everyone to get a Palm Pre. And the really ticked off ones who tell everyone to never get a Palm Pre.

HP is now creating the second type. Lots of users have stuck by WebOS DESPITE the crappy hardware build quality. Taking away the latest WebOS is taking away the reason they stayed and didn't tell everyone they know to never ever buy a WebOS phone.

Personally would you recommend a current WebOS phone to anyone?
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    They have a plan, a new phone coming in Spring and Summer. Not as soon as we'd like but it is what it is. They haven't announced carriers yet so I see no point in getting angry about that yet. Lets not also pretend like they can just force their phone on any carrier they want to. They have the cash to try but carriers ultimately make the decision. Certainly no webOS 2.0 is disappointing but unless your phone can't run on 1.4.X the way it always has then I'd suggest you keep enjoying your WebOS experience until a new phone is out.

/rational thought
    Quote Originally Posted by zemoffm View Post
    Yea this sucks, but I guess this is just how life is.

How is this any different then Apple and Android phones? When ios 4 came out, the original iphone was not supported. Likewise with Android where some phones don't get upgrades to the latest version.

Sure, maybe they shouldn't have said they would update to begin with, but even if they said right off the bat they wouldn't update the original phones, everyone would be ****ed off. Also, 3 months ago when Palm originally stated that all phones would get webOS 2, that was pretty much Palm doing the talking, not HP. Things have changed since then, and now that HP is fully in charge with Palm no longer even in existance brandwise... thats what happens.
    One difference of opinion. Android has fragmentation and that was one of the benefits supposedly of webOS. Also neither platform has totally abandoned their old OS's to the point where application development is either new or old. Lastly there are larger raw numbers and development for those platforms is assured whereas it's hard to get development commitments from developers for webOS without a stunt like this...
    Send you anger to HP. I myself have been with Sprint (Nextel 1st) since 2001, and as nice as it sounds, I don't realistically see myself moving carriers for WebOS.

It's not that I can't, it's just soooo much hassle. I have 4 lines, all with varying contract end dates.

In order to move, I (you, or anyone) would have to keep everyone on whatever phone they're on now until the contracts are all out at the same time, then pay for phones again, with whatever fees, and then start from scratch with a different company.

You'd also lose any great plan or "Premier Customer" status.

It would be great to tell Dan Hesse to go pound sand with his Androids (trust me, I'd love to), but it's just not realistic.
    I'm a Day-1 owner of a Sprint Pre-. When my contract runs out in June, I will buy the best phone on the market. I also need a slate for meetings when I don't want to lug around my laptop. If the best choices for me are the TouchPad and the Pre3, then that's what I'll buy. I'm not going to punch myself in the face just because HP didn't give as much support to my old discontinued phone as I wanted.
    - Bubba
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arrasmith View Post

Personally would you recommend a current WebOS phone to anyone?
    nope I would tell people to wait for the Pre 3 this summer. Current Palm phones are getting rather hard to come by anyway. I might recommend the Pre 2 if someone wanted to experience WebOS but Id most likely tell them to hold off.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    There is hope:

Freaking awesome...you got my vote
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggy1 View Post
    I think HP just lost a bunch of current palm customers/potential future customers with discontinuing support for legacy devices. Plus the lack of a clear date of availability for the updated hardware I see Summer 2008 release being repeated all over again.
    HP didn't just lose a bunch of current customers or future customers - they've just created an enemy. What's worse than losing a customer is losing one that's been burned and will do whatever it takes to make sure HP feels it in more ways than one. HP doesn't realize many people who are developing on their "webos" devices are also in Information Technology. This will hurt them in every which way possible - including the datacenter.
    Quote Originally Posted by vladdddy View Post
    Sprint/Pre user here and with the recent news not being the best, I decided it's time to ruffle some feathers.

I go to the Palm website and can't find an obvious/good customer service # for me to vent on. I then remember I have some old Palm #'s in my phone. I find 877-426-3777, call it and get what I would say is "customer service level 1". I tell the person I have one question for them....I'm an original Sprint/Pre user, what am I supposed to do now?. He told me to check out the webos-info website, I told him I already did and nothing favorable comes up. He stammers over everything he's trying to tell me. I ask to talk to his manager and two minutes later I'm talking to Joe, the manager.

Once again I ask the same question....I'm an original Sprint/Pre user, what am I supposed to do now?. Joe starts telling me to check out the webos-info website and I tell him I already did. He offers me an accessory kit and I say "thanks but what good will that do me?". I asked Joe the question again and he simply didn't have an answer. This is when I asked to talk to *HIS* manager. Joe told me he'd be passing my contact information along to HP/Palm's Corporate Customer Service team and that I'd be hearing from them within 24 hours. I will definitely report back if/when I'm contacted!

What bugs me here...it seems like HP/Palm doesn't have a plan (at least a good one) when it comes to satisfying us early adopters. It's almost like we're just being considered a sunk cost. One thing I've found to be true most of the time in business...it is easier to do <more> business with established customers than to find new ones.

Is HP just ditching Sprint and hoping we all migrate over to whomever will carry the Pre 3? Baffling to say the least....
    what support number did you use?
    Is there any reasonable way to estimate how many Pre1 units are still active? Either US, International or both? That would include both Pre- and Pre+ units not yet traded, recycled, or destroyed in frustration/anger.
    - Bubba
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Considering that the vast majority of webOS users are now using an outdated OS, and they have no hope of getting an update, I think we should give it a different name. How's webO(ld)S? xD
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaHooska View Post
    Is there any reasonable way to estimate how many Pre1 units are still active? Either US, International or both? That would include both Pre- and Pre+ units not yet traded, recycled, or destroyed in frustration/anger.
    IF I had an estimate...there are approximately 2.4 billion cellullar customers in the world, take a market share of 1.3 percent is WebOS (Pre/Pixi) puts it at about 3.12 million WebOS phones out on the market. That is a completely hypothetical answer so I cannot be quoted on it.

My mistake 4.6 billion customers...makes it about 5.98 million customers
    Last edited by explorerdo1; 02/10/2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: wrong data
    Developers are Jerked.... there is currently ZERO user base for WEbOS2.0. And all current Pre's/Pixis will not be getting any new apps. So everyone will be jumping ship soon. Pre3 will come After iPhone5 and iPad2, good luck with massive sales then... HP just hit reset and flushed us down the toilet. They even said last night that you need to "unlearn mojo". LoL we don't even have a 2.0 sdk yet.

Developers are now at a complete standstill and won't have a customer base for at least 8-9 months from now... we supposed to sit on our hands?

I have a feeling in 2 years... they will go to straight up C++ native apps becuase they run faster then ever! lol
    Bad news for many of those (including myself) that had held on to their original Pre's hoping that the 2.0 update would be coming to their phones soon. I still have my original Pre and it's still in great shape (july 2009). Because HP/Palm was not forthcoming with any information regarding their future phones, I decided last month to move to an Android phone. I'm now glad that I did because this is an incredible letdown for all those who held out for more. If the news had been good I was planning on reactivating my Pre and move on with the next update. Looks like that's not happening. A very bad way to treat so many loyal Pre owners.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    I was on the fence about what to do in August when my contract is up... and now I'm even more I don't know if I'd go with the Pre3 or not.

Well, this doesn't endear me to HP... but I like the shiny and the iPhone on Verizon isn't all that appealing either. At least then I'd feel a little better about the future of my purchase though.
    if Facebook app has 2.500.000 downloads...
    Found an article from October on CNN.com. A bit under 1,000,000 Pre's sold in the first quarter of availability, but webOS sales have never since been near that level. So we no that fewer than 6MM webOS units have been sold, including all Pre and Pixi units everywhere. And we know a good chunk of those have been dumped. But still, there just might be 5 million Pre and Pixi units out there, all outdated hardware, all carrying the discarded and dead Palm brand.

For comparison, there are about 67 million Android phones, about 47 million iPhones.

If HP wanted to simply continue Palm's existence, they would figure out a way to give us a 2.0 update. But Palm is dead, HP wants to become the king, and to live long and prosper. So they've decided not to follow Palm's foolish business decisions. HP is making a "new beginning" as they called it. Rather than worry about taking care of old junk, they are going to concentrate on the new stuff. They don't want us to leave, but they aren't going to spend time and money trying to stop us. If we go, they think that wil hurt us more than it does them. I happen to think they are right.

I'm getting a Pre3 and a TouchPad. I'll switch carriers if necessary. Buh Bye Sprint, hello webOS 3.0.
    - Bubba
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tacroy View Post
    STOP READING "no OTA update to 2.x" as NO UPDATE TO 2.x! Right now, it could just mean you will need to update to 2.x via your computer.

You know, the EXACT same way that iphone has to update.

It does NOT mean (right now anyway) that we won't get 2.x It just means you'll have to "GASP" plug in a usb cord to install it.
    How do you feel now that it's been announced and confirmed that, in fact, there will be no update to phones older than the Pre2? Besides ... with the iPhone, when you update you don't lose ANYTHING. Nada. Zilch. The desktop sync (who's ever heard of such a silly thing) with iPhone preserves 100% of all of your user data, so the update doesn't cause you to lose anything.

With WebOS at least in its current incarnation, however, that is simply not true. Everyone seems to forget that a USB-based update -- a Doctor visit -- wipes the OS partition clean if not also the USB partition, causing you to lose EVERYTHING that is not in your Palm Profile.

I don't get the apologists. I just don't.

I honestly wouldn't mind a USB update (except we now know that no such update will arrive) except for this fact.