Page 50 of 69 FirstFirst ... 404546474849505152535455 60 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1362
    just to mirror my thoughts(which are also on engadget, techcrunch, gizmodo...)

Dear HP,

After being an avid supporter of WebOS/Palm Pre since it's release in June of 2006, as well as Palm/Handspring for many years prior(Handspring Visor/Prism, Treo 600, Treo 655), this announcement today is a huge disappointment and an insult on so many levels. HP has done zero to differentiate itself against the iPhone/Android. HP also has failed to prove to new subscribers of the platform that HP is investing heavily on development of apps(one of the critical failures of webos). HP also neglected to celebrate the cult following of existing WebOS subscribers. HP also hasn't explained itself fully on what line of carriers will be releasing their new phones/devices. Where's the cloud storage piece for the TouchPad? Where's the phone that backs up entirely to the cloud over the air(including all pictures, call logs and text messages? Where's the integrated audio streaming capabilities via your Melodeo acquisition? Where are the breakthrough security upgrades/enhancements to the platform(similar to Lookout on Android)? Why is there no ability to purchase or rent videos via the device a la iTunes?

HP has succeeded in destroying a brand which I have used for many years, one which I feel had a very strong return on investment as well as a very strong following, It's obvious that HP felt that it is a stronger brand to succeed it. With a company that can't even get their current HP laptop division to have a failure rate of less than 25 percent(the worst in the industry, one in 4 HP laptops fails within 3 years), who exactly is going to trust HP in the tablet/smartphone space. The clear losers here are the existing subscribers of WebOS which just were shown the door(zero support for WebOS 2.0 on existing hardware on any carrier) and effectively told 'don't let the door hit you on the way out'. The lack of Sprint as an announced carrier launch partner for Pre3 and Veer is another point of loss for HP and the Sprint subscribers(approximately 80 to 90 percent of Pre 1 installed base). The clear winners today are HTC, Apple, Google, Research in Motion, Motorola and Samsung.

At this late in the game, I'm pretty sure the last remaining holdouts of WebOS(myself specifically) will be dumping the platform in the next 60 to 90 days for the next whizbang iPhone or flagship Android device. No more will I evangelize or support a company that doesn't respect or support its installed userbase or subscribers. It's been a long road coming, but bon voyage Palm/HP. It'll be interesting to watch your failures over the next 6 to 18 months as you get decimated by Apple's innovative iOS and hardware refreshes, not to mention Google's dominant Android platform. In terms of retention, you better be giving these phones away for practically free in the coming months, or your products have failed before they have even released to your carrier partners.

Hasta la vista,

Snowdizx
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I contacted Palms support service on their web page:
    1:00 PM Kade: I understand that you want to know information about webOS 2.0 update.
    1:00 PM Kade: Am I correct?
    1:00 PM Me: Yeah
    1:01 PM Kade: Your device is not able to support the new features of webOS 2. Therefore, your device will not receive a webOS 2 update. The latest software version for your device is webOS 1.4.5.
    1:01 PM Me: Since Oct 2010 palm / HP has been promising this - Now It's gone
    1:01 PM Kade: We are working on alternative plans with Sprint and will be sharing details in the coming weeks. Please come back to palm.com/webos-info to find out more.
    1:02 PM Me: You realize that Palm / HP is going to lose my, my wife and kids
    1:04 PM Kade: I completely understand why you feel that way.
    1:05 PM Me: Does HP/Palm?
    1:05 PM Me: There have been plenty of examples on the Pre running 2.0 - I find it hard to beleave it won't support the software
    1:06 PM Kade: As per the currently information the device cannot be updated over the air.
    1:07 PM Me: Again, I find that hard to believe, esp since palm has been bragging about it :in the comming months" since 10/2010
    1:08 PM Me: In Nov
    1:08 PM Me: In Jan
    1:11 PM Me: Palm's Josh Marinacci the "coming months we will do OTA updates for all existing devices 2.0" WebOS Developer Day NYC 2010 (Nov 2010)
    1:11 PM Me: 'Twas the week after Christmas Posted 1/4/11 on the Official HP Palm Blog
    1:16 PM Me: Does Palm/ HP even sense the outrage they have created. Checkout http://forums.precentral.net/general...es-thread.html. What dose this say about how a company feels about it customer base
    1:17 PM Me: Why would I recommend Palm/ HP to anybody?
    1:23 PM Kade: Now that webOS is part of HP, we’re entering a new era for the platform. We’re making decisions that we believe will benefit all webOS users in the long run and provide the best webOS products possible.
    1:24 PM Me: SO you feel HP is too big to fail?
    1:24 PM Me: That existing customers are not important?
    1:25 PM Kade: HP has a long history of commitment to its customers, and intends to ensure that its webOS products meet our strict guidelines for customer satisfaction.
    1:26 PM Me: Guess What - Your Customers are NOT satisfied, Again check out http://forums.precentral.net/general...es-thread.html if you have any doubt as to this!
    1:26 PM Kade: This is why we are working on alternative plans to help those affected and will be sharing details in the coming weeks.
    1:28 PM Me: Is there any way For HP/Palm to inform me as to their progress on this , other then "Check back in the coming weeks"?
    1:29 PM Kade: No, I just confirmed with my supervisor, there are no other options.
    1:29 PM Me: is this what Léo Apotheker means as "Cool as HP"?
    1:32 PM Kade: I understand how you feel at this point of time.
    1:33 PM Kade: Do you have any further questions?
    1:33 PM Me: Does Any One Else at HP understand
    1:33 PM Kade: Sure, I will forward your concerns about your issue.
    1:35 PM Me: Thank you for your time, be sure to check out http://forums.precentral.net/general...thread-47.html for me, if for no other reason, to measure the level of DISSATIFACTION
    1:35 PM Kade: Alright.
    1:35 PM Kade: Here’s the reference number for our chat: Chat session ID # 81629682 Keep this number as a record of this chat.
    1:36 PM Kade: Is there anything else I may assist you with today?
    1:36 PM Me: No
    1:36 PM Kade: Thank you for contacting Palm and feel free to contact us for further assistance.
    1:36 PM Kade: Have a great day!
    1:36 PM Kade: Bye!

1:37 PM Kade has ended the session.

Admitted, another waste of time, hopefully someone at Palm/HP will understand the level of dissatifaction.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    THEY WILL DELIVER NOTHING ... Stop Dreaming and believe all that lying and that " in the coming months" BIG LIE EVER!
    they used us as a Rats after they Beta test their WebOS 1.x on our backs!
    I'm not sad because they will not deliver WebOS 2.1 to us but because they hold us and kept lying on us that long and they still.
    this is the end of the road for Palm and a new road for HP. I'll keep my Palm Pre as I kept my Palm Centro and Treo. And switch to Android or iOS and may back to HP after 1 or 2 years after they make that WebOS worldwide ...
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I knew from the beginning that they wouldn't be updated but so many sheep...
    You mean you speculated. Very different than knowing. Enjoy your new phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmklein View Post
    I contacted Palms support service on their web page:
    1:00 PM Kade: I understand that you want to know information about webOS 2.0 update.
    1:00 PM Kade: Am I correct?
    1:00 PM Me: Yeah
    1:01 PM Kade: Your device is not able to support the new features of webOS 2. Therefore, your device will not receive a webOS 2 update. The latest software version for your device is webOS 1.4.5.
    1:01 PM Me: Since Oct 2010 palm / HP has been promising this - Now It's gone
    1:01 PM Kade: We are working on alternative plans with Sprint and will be sharing details in the coming weeks. Please come back to palm.com/webos-info to find out more.
    1:02 PM Me: You realize that Palm / HP is going to lose my, my wife and kids
    1:04 PM Kade: I completely understand why you feel that way.
    1:05 PM Me: Does HP/Palm?
    1:05 PM Me: There have been plenty of examples on the Pre running 2.0 - I find it hard to beleave it won't support the software
    1:06 PM Kade: As per the currently information the device cannot be updated over the air.
    1:07 PM Me: Again, I find that hard to believe, esp since palm has been bragging about it :in the comming months" since 10/2010
    1:08 PM Me: In Nov
    1:08 PM Me: In Jan
    1:11 PM Me: Palm's Josh Marinacci the "coming months we will do OTA updates for all existing devices 2.0" WebOS Developer Day NYC 2010 (Nov 2010)
    1:11 PM Me: 'Twas the week after Christmas Posted 1/4/11 on the Official HP Palm Blog
    1:16 PM Me: Does Palm/ HP even sense the outrage they have created. CheckoutWhat dose this say about how a company feels about it customer base
    1:17 PM Me: Why would I recommend Palm/ HP to anybody?
    1:23 PM Kade: Now that webOS is part of HP, we’re entering a new era for the platform. We’re making decisions that we believe will benefit all webOS users in the long run and provide the best webOS products possible.
    1:24 PM Me: SO you feel HP is too big to fail?
    1:24 PM Me: That existing customers are not important?
    1:25 PM Kade: HP has a long history of commitment to its customers, and intends to ensure that its webOS products meet our strict guidelines for customer satisfaction.
    1:26 PM Me: Guess What - Your Customers are NOT satisfied, Again check out if you have any doubt as to this!
    1:26 PM Kade: This is why we are working on alternative plans to help those affected and will be sharing details in the coming weeks.
    1:28 PM Me: Is there any way For HP/Palm to inform me as to their progress on this , other then "Check back in the coming weeks"?
    1:29 PM Kade: No, I just confirmed with my supervisor, there are no other options.
    1:29 PM Me: is this what Léo Apotheker means as "Cool as HP"?
    1:32 PM Kade: I understand how you feel at this point of time.
    1:33 PM Kade: Do you have any further questions?
    1:33 PM Me: Does Any One Else at HP understand
    1:33 PM Kade: Sure, I will forward your concerns about your issue.
    1:35 PM Me: Thank you for your time, be sure to check out for me, if for no other reason, to measure the level of DISSATIFACTION
    1:35 PM Kade: Alright.
    1:35 PM Kade: Here’s the reference number for our chat: Chat session ID # 81629682 Keep this number as a record of this chat.
    1:36 PM Kade: Is there anything else I may assist you with today?
    1:36 PM Me: No
    1:36 PM Kade: Thank you for contacting Palm and feel free to contact us for further assistance.
    1:36 PM Kade: Have a great day!
    1:36 PM Kade: Bye!

1:37 PM Kade has ended the session.

Admitted, another waste of time, hopefully someone at Palm/HP will understand the level of dissatifaction.
    Straight from the horse's mouth...
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    ...Don't be surprised if QuickOffice and others pull out over this. Someone at HP needs to be fired over this screw up.
    if hardware incompatibility is an issue so be it. PCs tend to need upgrades when new OS comes out too. But they should have come forward with an upgrade solution. PCs aren't bound by long term contracts.
    Has anyone gotten any sense how yesterday is reverberating over at QuickOffice? This worries me. What if they say "fa-git uh 'bout it" and give up on webOS app development? Forget business enterprise solutions without QuickOffice.

EDIT TO ADD: Look at this from QuickOffice website page on webOS:
    Quickoffice Connect Mobile Suite viewers will also be provided to existing webOS devices as part of HP's 'over-the-air' (OTA) webOS 2.0 updates. Quickoffice will be expanding features and functionality for webOS in the coming months. To stay informed on the latest webOS development news, please follow us on Twitter or sign up for our Facebook page.
    Last edited by Rockbeast; 02/10/2011 at 01:03 PM.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Global Posts
    987 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I wonder why they just didn't put together a small update, capable of running on legacy devices, and call it 2.0. Then announce a 2.5 that requires the Pre 2 and above this Summer. People couldn't get upset because they got 2.0 like Palm said they would but not 2.5 which contains the meat.
    This actually makes a lot of sense, give us some goodies and make it feel like 2.0
    @kill_dano

You shouldn't be using those Doctors unless you know the risks involved.

Swyped from my HTC HD2 (CM7)
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    I wonder how the developer community feels knowing that the bulk of current webOS users, and quite frankly, the "known quantity" when it comes to potential sales, are not going to get 2.0. Surely not as confident today as yesterday.
    Wow, made it through all 50 pages.. my eyes hurt.. I hoped after sleeping it off last night, I wouldn't be as mad today but I am every bit as angry still.. so, the beta doctors are out there, hell even the links have been posted in this thread multiple times and no mods have done anything about it. So, lets see what we can do with them shall we? My hope is that Rod or webosinternals will try and migrate UberKernel over to it for us to test out. The only thing I hate is that we can't use our existing profiles. I have purchased over 50 apps and want to use them all in 2.0. So, we have to pirate our own apps over to a new profile and then never receive any updates. I guess to me, that will be worth it to hold me off until Pre3 arrives assuming it arrives on Sprint. It sounds like Palm will make 2.0 available as a doctor to some pre plusses but definitely no Pre minuses. My concern there, is that I did the Sprint conversion to a Pre Plus like so many others have and dont want to get stuck in the dark because they avoid Sprint due to minus. However, I'm sure with Rods help, we can Franken a Plus doctor to include some of the Sprint apps included in this current 2.0 beta.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    So just curious with everyone mentioning that they will grab a leaked doctor and get 2.0 for themselves, what are the risks? Do current apps work smoothly? Will I still have access to new apps and app updates?
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    I have the 2.0 on my sprint pre. Runs really nice. Especially for being 600mhz. Silky smooth GPU accelerated UI. Iphone like. Exhibition, just type, voice dialing it's all there. Only draw back: Might need to make a new palm profile.
    That's the only drawback? You have no idea what your takling about. Don't give people bad advice.

Swyped from my HTC HD2 (CM7)
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    sorry to mention the obviously again deleted link to the doctor ftp... but the origin is hp itself... so it should be somewhat official right? still... is it 2.x?
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pixi kid View Post
    Pick up a backup unit now, should be a cheap little investment. Pixi+ are going for around $50 USD new, don't know bout the Pre though, but I imagine they'll get dumped on the market like the Pixi+ is now.
    I'm not aware of any way that I can buy anything WebOS in the UK. Well, except for paying HP $399.00 for an unlocked Pre Plus.
    wow 999th post!! so long hp/palm.
    As I heard, tha App Catalog works very barely and there are still bugs...but you can still have 2.0.
    Us Pixi users can just watch videos of 2.0, and we'll never have it (apart from a miracle, but I don't have a lot of hope).
    I'm going to consider (maybe) buying a Pre2 because there's no real alternative: WP7 hasn't multitasking (essential I think to use twitter), iOS is way too closed (and too expensive), and I don't like Android's multitasking at all.
    But I think, apart from webOS, Android is the best.

I'll see if a miracle happen (Maybe reiterate the FrankenDoctor experience for the Pixi with biggest red letters ?), otherwise I think I'll switch to Android.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Is there an effective route that we can complain to HP about this? I mean, griping on this site is therapeutic, but not effective. Their facebook? Their Support chat? Emails? If you have a lead on a good route, post it, maybe we can all inundate it.
  18. SashoDikov
    So how the devs feel about 2.0 on oldies?

Will they make a run and polish the mexican dumps and we can start openly talking about that on here ?
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    I didn't want to add one more "I'm leaving" post but I think we are trying to convey to HP/Palm that we are not happy. I got a Samsung Epic last night and am officially off of WebOS until someone can show me how to run WebOS 2 on my Epic. I absolutely love the way WebOS works and Android is already ****ing me off but I would rather have superior hardware and sub par software than 18 month old hardware and lies. Maybe I'll try again when my new phone wears out. Perhaps Pre 4 will be out and they will be dangling WebOS 3 in front of the Pre 3 owners.
    [QUOTE=Garrett92C;2860541]That's the only drawback? You have no idea what your takling about. Don't give people bad advice./QUOTE]

I have it on 2 Pres. Have had it for about 2 weeks. I think I'm in a position to give advice. What makes you think there are more draw backs? I'll tell you there are plenty of drawback for staying on 1.4.5.