Page 41 of 69 FirstFirst ... 31363738394041424344454651 ... LastLast
    Here is a tweet from someone at Palm... I think they will provide some sort of deal for users to migrate to new hardware. IMHO they just need to acknowledge that there will be a webOS phone on Sprint for users to migrate to (assuming that there will be one). But, it shows that Palm isn't just going to walk away without trying to make this better. This guy works for Palm:

@Evanwilbrecht

@ThomasCoe @IGNTNUNLMTD It's all around a not-so-great situation. We are looking at a lot of possibilities, and we want to make it right!
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    I've been using a Pre for a year and a half. I expected to upgrade by at least this summer. Why do I care if it doesn't use WebOS 2.1 if I don't even use the device? Does anyone use a device longer than two years? I think in the smartphone world a device is obsolete by then.
    I want HP to move the ball forward. If that means I can't get stacks, exhibition, and wow-voice dialing- on my Pre, is that really a big deal? I'm going to have a new phone anyway. These are minor additions anyway. The real deal is the core OS function.
    If I recall correctly, didn't Apple cut off the first iphone from anymore updates? That phone was about 3 years old, right, when iOS4 was released? So the Palm Pre will be 2 years old and the Plus 1.5 years old? Not far behind Apple's schedule.
    I buy a phone for what it does at the time. I expect that in 2 years the phone will behind the technology curve and unable to run the latest and greatest. I suggest everyone view their phones that way because that is the reality. We've gone from 65nm chipsets, to 45nm chipsets, and late next year we will have 28nm chipsets. These chipsets will offer 5x the processing speed of some phones being released today. Given that, it is obvious why sometimes you have to cut the cord on software updates.
    I agree, mostly. The Pre+ is still much younger than the MK 1 iPhone was when it was cut off from updates, hell, so's the Pre(-)! It rankles; as a Pre+ owner I was hoping to get Flash... last year... or at least before I traded in my handset for the new hotness. Palm/HP have also demoed Flash on Pres previously, and HP lead customers to believe that 2.x (and all that comes with it) would be made available to current hardware. This was said in press releases, and poems, etc.. Now? Apparently "the coming months" means "we have no idea what we're doing here and will say anything to make investors and potential customers think we do"

I don't disagree with your statement about hardware obsolescence, and I've got a contract with my carrier that doesn't offer me a subsidized upgrade until the new hardware is out anyway, and I don't have the spare cash to throw at a full-price handset.

I'm angry at HP for lying and backtracking on what it told us, the existing Palm user base. It really does show that they don't care about their customers and that profit and shareholders are the only things they are beholden to. It makes HP look bad in the eyes of a RABID, VOCAL and TECHNICAL fan base, and that is Not Good. Image is everything man, and HP just shat on theirs.
    Cuando el Nexus S esté disponible en mi país me cambio.

Haber aguantado un SO que, en la versión inicial, no tenía ni siquiera video en la cámara, que era claramente incompleto, precipitado, casi una beta, ... para que llegado el momento en que está un poco maduro nos digan que, si queremos actualización, cambiemos el teléfono; es una auténtica faena.

Estoy con los que dicen que nos han usado de beta testers; nos han tomado el pelo. Así, WebOS no despegará nunca.
    Last edited by jcarde; 02/10/2011 at 03:28 AM.
    damn. Damndamndamndamndamn. One of the reason i bout the discounted pre plus i have now i was told it would get webos 2. Screw you palm, give me my money back
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Here is a tweet from someone at Palm... I think they will provide some sort of deal for users to migrate to new hardware. IMHO they just need to acknowledge that there will be a webOS phone on Sprint for users to migrate to (assuming that there will be one). But, it shows that Palm isn't just going to walk away without trying to make this better. This guy works for Palm:

@Evanwilbrecht

@ThomasCoe @IGNTNUNLMTD It's all around a not-so-great situation. We are looking at a lot of possibilities, and we want to make it right!
    Don't believe a word of it, I was a cliq user and Motorola promised an upgrade for months and then "sorry we couldn't make it work" - this will be no different.

It's all lip-service, they already have your money.
    The PRPRPR $team$ $wants$ $to$ $make$ $it$ $right$, $because$ $they$'$d$ $rather$ $be$ $telling$ $everybody$ $that$ $they$'$re$ $giving$ $out$ $huge$ $cash$ $coupons$ $instead$ $of$ $just$ $BSing$ $in$ $the$ $name$ $of$ $the$ $corporate$ $top$ $officers$. $The$ $guys$ $on$ $the$ $top$ $can$ $always$ $put$ $their$ $corporate$ $hats$ $on$ $and$ $simply$ $tell$ $PR$ $to$ $make$ $something$ $up$ $to$ $calm$ $the$ $masses$.

As for the potential discount program: What about us international users? Huh?

Too many Palm loyalists are mad that a huge corporation wasn't loyal back.
    So it's our fault? If a company makes a public promise regarding certain products and features, and then even DEMOS them, how can that not be a solid foundation of trust?? We've seen flash running on the Pre, we've seen 2.0 running on older devices... now when HP is claiming none of those updates will actually be released, what else is there outside of spreading our disgust?
    Quote Originally Posted by bureX View Post
    The PRPRPR $team$ $wants$ $to$ $make$ $it$ $right$, $because$ $they$'$d$ $rather$ $be$ $telling$ $everybody$ $that$ $they$'$re$ $giving$ $out$ $huge$ $cash$ $coupons$ $instead$ $of$ $just$ $BSing$ $in$ $the$ $name$ $of$ $the$ $corewporate$ $top$ $officers$. $The$ $guys$ $on$ $the$ $top$ $can$ $always$ $put$ $their$ $corporate$ $hats$ $on$ $and$ $simply$ $tell$ $PR$ $to$ $make$ $something$ $up$ $to$ $calm$ $the$ $masses$.

As for the potential discount program: What about us international users? Huh?

So it's our fault? If a company makes a public promise regarding certain products and features, and then even DEMOS them, how can that not be a solid foundation of trust?? We've seen flash running on the Pre, we've seen 2.0 running on older devices... now when HP is claiming none of those updates will actually be released, what else is there outside of spreading our disgust?
    Do the only thing that will make any difference at all! Buy something else!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matador65 View Post
    HP has no ties with the original Palm Pre. Why would they put the effort in trying to keep updating the old when they have new product they want to push.
    Because they promised us they would. It's as simple as that. If they had said from the beginning that they wouldn't, then that would be fine. Even if they had said, "we'll try, but we'll only release it if it meets our standards on older devices," that would be fine. But that's not what happened.

They made black and white promises, then allowed images and WebOSDoctors to leak out that PROVED they had the ability to follow through, and then chose not to. That is what I call dishonorable.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    I thought I heard them say that the Veer would be able to operate in 21 countries so they should be able to apply any offer to international users:

HSDPA 7.2/HSUPA 5.76
    Quad-band GSM/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE

@Evanwilbrecht

Gee I wonder if this guy took lessons from Leo the liar?
    I know HP couldnt care less, but I'm done with them. No more printers, PCs, and especially webOS anything. I've given them too much of my money over the years to get jerked around like this over and over. It never ends. PCs that were bought with HP specific software that was supposed to offer updates and help with the computer that is instantly abandoned as soon as they have the money in hand, printers that fail as soon as the warranty is out after printing through maybe a single pack of paper, selling "refurbished" computers with known hardware flaws that cause intermittent issues that will only pop up after the one week return period, taking software updates and downloads off the support site and replacing with links that allow us to buy CDs of stuff that was freely downloadable just a month prior... I hate to sound like my grandpa, but they're a bunch of crooks.

They've been stringing along a loyal fan base for this long with the webOS promises and junk hardware and willful lying. No amount of flash and thunder is going to get them any more of my money. I have been putting off buying an iPhone for 6 months now...for this?!?!
    I understand fully that's it's just a phone, but being lied to and used as a beta tester for 1.5years is BS, I'm done.

I hope you fail with all of this, HP/Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    Do the only thing that will make any difference at all! Buy something else!
    I'm sorry, I have to repost this.
    It's just...exactly the truth of the matter.
    If I could thank it 50 times I would.

@Evanwilbrecht

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Don't believe a word of it, I was a cliq user and Motorola promised an upgrade for months and then "sorry we couldn't make it work" - this will be no different.

It's all lip-service, they already have your money.
    I'm with CGK. We have seen absolute proof that there is no technical reason not to update. HP made promises. Made them clear. Made them loud. Then they broke them because a bean counter ran some numbers and thought it would be more profitable this way. Now we're expected to believe a bunch of vague garbage. No thanks.

Here's a tip for HP - I'm a big fan of capitalism, so I'm all for doing what the bean counters say. But if you don't want to **** off your most enthusiastic and loyal customers so bad that they stop buying your products forever, talk to your bean counters BEFORE you make promises.
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    Thank you for that, hopefully somebody gets the ok for an update.

Here is my message:
    Your device is not able to support the new features of webOS 2.

Therefore, your device will not receive a webOS 2 update. The latest software version for your device is webOS 1.4.5.

We are working on alternative plans with Sprint and will be sharing details in the coming weeks. Please come back to palm.com/webos-info to find out more

Your current device:
    Palm Pre on Sprint.
    That added paragraph is interesting.
    A shame. A shame.

I really like webOS. Love it. BUT this here - if I buy a Myte, or whatever, when my contract is up for renewal this fall, is it gonna be stuck with 2.5 or whatever as well? Is it getting no update to 4.0 (or 3.x)?

By the way: if they do indeed offer an upgrade bonus for old Palm webOS users, and that bonus involves giving away your old device, I won't take them up on it. I collect my old phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97o View Post
    That added paragraph is interesting.
    Interesting? Certainly.

Interesting enough? Not even close.

This is a company that apparently thinks it's okay to make concrete promises and break them a month later. Does anyone actually believe that enough development happened since their little poem came out on January 4th, that they believed 2.0 would work on older devices then, and suddenly found out that it wouldn't?

They did a complete 180 in 36 days, and then expect us to buy into something this vague?

I think not.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    I got this message, no extra encouragement like SPRINT users get, So much for non-USA users!

Therefore, your device will not receive a webOS 2 update. The latest software version for your device is webOS 1.4.5.

Your current device:

Palm Pre on o2.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    I got this message, no extra encouragement like SPRINT users get, So much for non-USA users!

Your current device:

Palm Pre on o2.
    Yeah! Where is the "encouraging" message for O2 Users (UK, Germany...)?!?

Ok! I think that's it! No more HP/Palm...
    another BIG mistake hp!
    I will give up my palm pre