Page 40 of 69 FirstFirst ... 303536373839404142434445 50 ... LastLast
    The Pre+ went into the box today. I had kept it out for the past few weeks in hopes that I would see 2.x today. All the promises, none of the accountability. I'm going to hope that the "upgrade path" means they'll send those of us that believed their promises some new hardware, but for now I'm pulling the android back out and returning to the land of milk, honey, apps, and OTA updates...
    very bad form...
    a company the size of hp could certainly clear the hurdles to make this happen.
    it would only be temporary, like a couple years, befoe they could legitmately end support for legacy devices.
    after today's good news, this is a real let down.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewarp View Post
    I'm going to hope that the "upgrade path" means they'll send those of us that believed their promises some new hardware, but for now I'm pulling the android back out and returning to the land of milk, honey, apps, and OTA updates...
    They wouldn't even give attendees of the developer session free phones - I haven't the slightest shred of hope that they'll give (the much larger population of) normal users free phones.
    That was it for HP as the manufacturer of choice for my future smartphones.

Let's see if Touchpad will be a good product, but this politic of dis-information should be punished.
    V. bad news...and it feels that loyal customers of palm Pres/Plus/ Pixi /and Pixi pluses got screwed!!...
    guess we were just the beta testers..of the webOS, and now that they've 'refined' it, they're telling us..sorry..u'd need to get a new device to enjoy 2.0 or 3.0... Shows what kind of class HP has -- not much.
    Now they made it the decision easier - iphone or bb-torch?

Bye-bye Palm
    First we hear that the Pre3 may not be going to Sprint and now the fact that Pre can't be updated. I mean we supported the birth of WebOS and bought those first generation hardwares where no one else would even look at and have held on supporting your platform for almost two years now. If you don't bring the Pre3 to Sprint with some kind of upgrade plan you will lose or alienate the most loyal fan base you've got.
    I've been using a Pre for a year and a half. I expected to upgrade by at least this summer. Why do I care if it doesn't use WebOS 2.1 if I don't even use the device? Does anyone use a device longer than two years? I think in the smartphone world a device is obsolete by then.
    I want HP to move the ball forward. If that means I can't get stacks, exhibition, and wow-voice dialing- on my Pre, is that really a big deal? I'm going to have a new phone anyway. These are minor additions anyway. The real deal is the core OS function.
    If I recall correctly, didn't Apple cut off the first iphone from anymore updates? That phone was about 3 years old, right, when iOS4 was released? So the Palm Pre will be 2 years old and the Plus 1.5 years old? Not far behind Apple's schedule.
    I buy a phone for what it does at the time. I expect that in 2 years the phone will behind the technology curve and unable to run the latest and greatest. I suggest everyone view their phones that way because that is the reality. We've gone from 65nm chipsets, to 45nm chipsets, and late next year we will have 28nm chipsets. These chipsets will offer 5x the processing speed of some phones being released today. Given that, it is obvious why sometimes you have to cut the cord on software updates.
    god dammit hp, are you the dumbest people in the world. if u wanted any chance of having the few of us left to be ur new customers. u kinda "bad word" that up for yourself. the stupid months of waiting for the new phones would of been worth it if u would of gave the update, but with this "bad word" iphone and future ipad is lookin better and better...ill give you until summer, unless my pre+ craps out before then. then its off to apple where they give you new products in a timely manner and dont lie their ***** off about doing things. props to precentral for stickin with you for so long but if u keep this crap up you'll prob lose them to.. so disappointing....
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mita981 View Post
    First we hear that the Pre3 may not be going to Sprint and now the fact that Pre can't be updated. I mean we supported the birth of WebOS and bought those first generation hardwares where no one else would even look at and have held on supporting your platform for almost two years now. If you don't bring the Pre3 to Sprint with some kind of upgrade plan you will lose or alienate the most loyal fan base you've got.
    Agree. This news is BS. I'm gonn have to switching to Android <<mod delete>>
    Last edited by bevcraw; 02/10/2011 at 09:18 AM.
    The no-updates for Pre etc... is *very* disappointing.
    Question is - what does he mean with hinting at doing something special for customers having these older devices.

Announcing the retraction without saying what exactly they do instead seems crazy stupid at this time.
    If they offer a big rebate or even (close to) free upgrades to existing customers - that would lessen the blow of no upgrades - a lot.

For example if they invest some millions into a trade-in option where any owner of a Pre (+) or Pixi (+) can switch that for a Pre 2 - that would not only take care of the no-webOS-upgrade problem but also - probably - bring back a lot of customers who left for other devices solely due to build issues. And in addition would create some extra marketing buzz in the press.

OTOH if the "something special" turns out to be a tote bag and a $20 coupon there'll be rage-quitting messages for months - which will distract from any new marketing campaign.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    I will be letting HP know my disappointment at the following address:

HP Executive Team: CEO email

MWC is coming and HP/Palm may still be able to redeem themselves (DOUBT IT)... who knows, I guess I still have hope since my phone is still working (Launch Day Pre) but it has been freezing up lately. What a let down though, and not even a release date for a Sprint device.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    HP has no ties with the original Palm Pre. Why would they put the effort in trying to keep updating the old when they have new product they want to push. I am an original Pre user, through Sprint, and am extremely disappointed. Their loyalty is for <<mod delete>>. I love the WebOS platform but HP has made their choice and abandoned the people who had been loyal Palm customers. I will see what is available for the other phones and try to make a decision.

For those consumers that purchased the later Palm 2 and Pixi......sorry but welcome to HP's product testing division.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 02/10/2011 at 09:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tredftw View Post
    I promised that I was done but this made me angry. How was it obvious that this would happen when they said the exact opposite? and in reference to android, It's fragmented for sure, but it's the next best thing, and I cant stand the sight of a palm device anymore.
    It was obvious because no other manufacturer updates phones for more than a year or two. As operating systems are updated, they usually are built for new software. Many of the Palm fanatics on this site seemed to believe,in large part because of Palm's implications, that their nearly 2 year old devices would have new software until ...well,apparently forever. It wasn't realistic. It's kind of understandable that people are mad,but if you're surprised,you were naive from the get-go.
    Oddlou: We are speaking about smartphones. That SHOULD be different. And think of the Pre Plus. Its one year old and ... no updates. Even Motorola does not <<mod delete>>.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 02/10/2011 at 09:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SalvatoreCostello View Post
    To everyone that is ready to jump on the android train because of this, most users of android phones have this same problem update after update. Only Apple has been really good about giving their OS updates to older devices.
    I'm one of the people seriously considering jumping to android because of this, and while I can't speak for everyone, you've got my motivations all wrong.

I'm considering the switch because of the number of promises that HP broke today.

1. 2.0 OTA
    2. Flash OTA (promised for the original Pre since before it's launch, and a major factor in my decision to buy it originally)
    3. No more "in the coming months" BS.

The only hope of remedying any of this, is a WebOSDoctor from HP, that probably won't include the carrier apps. That's a HUGE drawback for some of us. Not a week goes by that I don't use sprint nav, and the free alternatives are garbage in comparison.

And what do we have to base our hope of that feature removing webosdr from HP? A vague "read between the lines" announcement about some unknown "upgrade path." I can't even trust them to follow through with black and white promises that they have the ability to make good on*, how can I trust them to create a useful "upgrade path?"

*They had flash working on a Sprint Pre demonstration unit MONTHS ago, but chose not to release it. We've seen a canadian Pre user who was 'accidentally' pushed WebOS 2.0, and it worked just fine. HP made promises, demonstrated that they had the ability to live up to them, and then chose not to. Unless they do something AMAZING to change my mind, I'm done.

Likewise, I've bought more HP products in my life than Palm. I've owned three different models of the HP Jornada. I've bought HP laptops. I've bought a number of HP printers over the years because of their linux driver support. Right now I use a high end $300 HP printer that costs me more than $120 to refill with ink. I print my photographs on HP paper. All told, I've spent many thousands of dollars with HP. When HP bought out Palm, I was THRILLED. I always admired the build quality of HP products. I've always had smooth and pleasant experiences buying from them directly. I thought that this would means all the great things I loved about my Pre, backed up by a company I have trusted for years.

I guess I was wrong.

After this, unless they pull the mother of all hail mary plays, I'm throwing out my HP printer and buying another brand when I run out of ink, and never buying another HP product.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by damnregister View Post
    Oddlou: We are speaking about smartphones. That SHOULD be different. And think of the Pre Plus. Its one year old and ... no updates. Even Motorola does not s**k so hard.
    I'm not defending HP,per se, I'm just not surprised. I have already moved on to Android... it wasnt in me to trust hp to improve enough to match up with the latest and greatest....i made the right choice.
    The processor on the Pre3 is at least 2 generations beyond previous palm phone processors. It has 2to4 times as much ram. HP would have to make their new products crappier to keep the os compatible. The industry doesn't work that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    It was obvious because no other manufacturer updates phones for more than a year or two.
    Yeah - and the way to success - especially if you're a late-comer to a market with strong competition - is to be no better than the other manufacturers.

Especially after previously announcing that there would be upgrades.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    I was very excited and 100% on getting the Pre3 until HP came out with this crap.

It's a shame for HP that having one of the best Mobiles OS's (heck the best mobile OS) and great new hardware coming out, they are losing almost the whole webOS community thats still left by doing all kind of stupid decisions:

First by saying that the hardware will be ready in the coming weeks after the presentation, they should better tell the truth even if it is not the best news or even better, nothing at all.

Second, by living behind there true loyal customers by not giving us the update and still keep lying to us that we will have a path to webOS 2.x, BS.
    I really don't mind on doctoring my pre if it is necessary to get 2.x, as I think most of you also don't mind.

I'm still thinking of getting the pre3 looks so nice and the screen is perfect size for me, plus I love vertical physical keyboards, plus I love webOS (doesn't compare to any other OS), but if HP keeps coming out with this crap, i also have a "Nexus S" or "Thunderbolt" on my sight and HP is kind of making me a clear picture on what to buy next.

just trying to be objective from my point of view.

Hope HP learns a lesson from this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    Yeah - and the way to success - especially if you're a late-comer to a market with strong competition - is to be no better than the other manufacturers.

Especially after previously announcing that there would be upgrades.
    Agreed. This is another reason why being loyal to any particular brand or product based on promises is folly. I buy a product based on what it does now,which is all that is guaranteed. Too many Palm loyalists are mad that a huge corporation wasn't loyal back. Seems that the lesson learners should be loyalists.