Page 35 of 69 FirstFirst ... 253031323334353637383940 45 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrbelex View Post
    And now this exists:

It'd go better with this picture
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Engadget posted that Rubinstein promises a "special surprise" to current 1.4.5 owners, but then it wouldn't be the first time he promised us something...
    Without a offical date and statement from HP. The damage is done, the trust is lost. Its too late. People are given up already. As it has been repeated many times this was the final nail in the coffin. The fact that people are leavn in flocks will continue to override the glory of the new devices. And this is without a doubt the fault of hp/palm for leaving the community in the dark. No more will this community sit around and wait "for the coming months". Even the CEO of HP has lied about the product timeline for release. How are we a community who has stayed by for this long to believe a single word that has come out of anyone's mouth. Special suprise or not. I'm done waiting.
    i purchased this phone expecting certain features which were promised to me as a user, palm never delivered.
    Quote Originally Posted by giograves View Post
    And I quote :

" I put in all my time into creating Music Player (Remix) 2.0 with the goal of creating the best portable music listening experience. Since then I've worked non-stop (7 straight months) and have created an app that I feel meets my goal and is completely ready for submission to the app catalog.

But now all of it is in jeopardy. I've managed to build a pretty loyal userbase who have enjoyed using the app and now it appears that userbase has been wiped out in a single day. What was supposed to be a very exciting day has become the worst day of my webOS development experience.
    "

I think this is a very specific example of how this announcement generally spells the end of a platform. Spread doom and gloom? HP did it themselves.

wow my thoughts exactly... on Page 13 of this thread i posted what about the devs and now ZERO user base? all 2.0 apps will NOT work on our phones.. and devconference just said we need to UNLEARN mojo!! ***
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    Without a offical date and statement from HP. The damage is done, the trust is lost. Its too late. People are given up already. As it has been repeated many times this was the final nail in the coffin. The fact that people are leavn in flocks will continue to override the glory of the new devices. And this is without a doubt the fault of hp/palm for leaving the community in the dark. No more will this community sit around and wait "for the coming months". Even the CEO of HP has lied about the product timeline for release. How are we a community who has stayed by for this long to believe a single word that has come out of anyone's mouth. Special suprise or not. I'm done waiting.
    Well put.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    ps, buying a 4g android device tomorrow
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    HP: Please publish the 2.1 files somewhere now. Don't wait. You don't have to prep them or do anything special with them. I'm actually not entirely stupid, and I'll figure out what to do with them.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    wow my thoughts exactly... on page 11 of this thread i posted what about the devs and now ZERO user base? all 2.0 apps will NOT work on our phones.. and devconference just said we need to UNLEARN mojo!! ***
    I COMPLETELY forgot 2.0 apps will not work on our phone!
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    the path to 2.x is probably a 10% coupon to those that have been loyal 1st gen owners.

Quote Originally Posted by ctbeiser View Post
    Guys, you might want to calm down a bit. From the article.

"HP intends to launch a website in the coming months that offer users "a path to 2.x." What does that mean? It means that depending on carrier and device, HP may offer desktop-tethered updates via their webOS Doctor framework. It sounded as if it won't apply to all devices, however, so in some cases the "path to 2.x" will be to buy a new phone. Whether that "path" would involve discounts for existing customers is unclear."

I don't think we've heard the last of 2.x for the Pre(+)

I like pizza. You like shopping. Jon Rubinstein likes to crush dreams and find new ways to burn a company to the ground each year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    I COMPLETELY forgot 2.0 apps will not work on our phone!
    yeap... we are dead in the water. And who is going to write mojo apps now? knowing that everyone is going to get rid of their phones now...

AND there won't be a webOS 2.0 device out for another 5-6 months!!! and there is no SDK. Yea i know Pre2 is coming out soon.... but there is no marketing and no hype... so not to many people will get it. thats a fact... i believe Pre2 is just a proof of concept phone for webOS2.0 (a test phone)...

there is now basically a ZERO user base.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrbelex View Post
    And now this exists:

Ok, this was awesome. Milk-out-of-the-nose awesome!

In one way, I almost feel bad that HP/Palm woke up this morning thinking how they were going to wow everyone with their announcements and ended the day doing the complete opposite.

Then I realize I have almost two more years to go (thank you Bell Mobility and every other alternative up here in Canada for your generous 3-year contracts) on my "advanced phone that updates itself with the latest improvements so you're never obsolete" (paraphrased) that I can't even use in my car because it's against the law where I live to use a device that requires some kind of manual (ie non-voice) input in a vehicle you're operating and have been strung along since early summer 2010 into believing that this update would solve this and a LOT of the little issues the Pre had.

Hey, I was always one to give Palm the benefit of the doubt because I wanted them to succeed. But let's be honest:

Pre3 - specs are impressive but will they be cutting-edge in five months when it's actually released? Keeping in mind now it will be competing against the iPhone5 and about 15 new Android devices?

Veer - the Pixi was a sales failure so you release a device only marginally better? My first thought was "Vista Home Basic vs Windows 7 Home Basic" - you know they are available but you never actually hear much about them. You can't give the present Pres away for nothing so how's that going to work?

TouchPad - lol. You need to have this thing do your laundry and make you dinner if you are going to compete with the iPad. Sorry, it's all about what it can do at the end of the day, not what it could possibly do. Apps apps apps - and you pretty much just rebooted WebOS to start from the beginning. You think present devs are going to wait around?

Meh. I am old and cranky. Get those smartphones off my lawn!
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I bought my Pre on October 18, fully aware of the promise that a 2.0 upgrade was coming... and I waited eagerly for this day. Don't laugh, but I actually expected an increase in battery life out of the upgrade. I bought a second Pre so I could actually overclock without jeapordizing my warranty, which won't expire until Oct 2011, at which point I will still have two years left on my Bell contract. And I missed a Pre 3 (which would do everything I want), by 6 months? Legislation coming this summer to require voice diallng. So.... Wow. What can I possibly say...
    Last edited by BigStory; 02/09/2011 at 11:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    I'm going to go out on a limb and kind of defend HP.

Maybe they are actually catering to the homebrewers with this decision, and here's why:

The Sprint Pre shipped with a 500MHz clock speed (did they bump it up?) and less RAM. Maybe the HPalm people believe this would not give a satisfying experience on 2.x. So instead of pushing 2.x OTA and forcing it on everyone (making their device run crappier and getting mad at HP for crippling their phone), maybe they'll make it available online with a disclaimer. This way anyone wanting to upgrade (especially those of us running at 1GHz) can, and be totally happy, and people still running stock Pres who don't know any better don't have to if they don't want to.

Don't get all over me for this rationalization, it's just an idea I'm throwing out there
    I really got the feeling today that this was HP's attempt to start over with webOS. HP seems like it just wants to get webOS on as many products as possible; the more products and greater variety, the more overall users and in turn the more users who might actually be aware of an invest in webOS as a brand and a platform.

So potentially cutting off your loyal users? That's certainly one way to move forward. It just seems so odd that, aside from the handful of people in the US who may have an unlocked Pre 2, as of this moment all of the things showed off in today's presentation affect a user base of effectively zero.
    unbelievable, wow, no sh!t, damn, eff, man, really, bummer, dude, jeez, ***, awe, etc. Why cant I buy a Pre 3 tomorrow or next week. With a nice new iPhone 5 killer coming out this summer? I just cant believe HP doesnt get it. All they'd have to do is read all the crap people say on this site and they'd see WHAT THE CUSTOMER WANTS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    Well put.
    I can only hope that something/someone in the next couple days gets this message out there to the monkeys at HP/Palm to realize what they and only THEY have done to this community. A public statement directly from hp with a date is the only thing that will fix this. Alas, I doubt it will happen. It seems as thoe they were never listening in the first place.

We are the mob, the mob is fickle.
    I would like the OTA upgrade. But being told that we're not going to get it is not a big shock. It's a possibility that has been widely discussed in these forums and elsewhere. Nor is it unusual. Over the past 25 years, I bet I've heard at least a hundred different versions of "sorry, we changed our minds" from hardware and software vendors. Big deal.

Suppose HP were to release webOS 2.1 to Sprint for testing right now. We would start getting OTA updates when ... a month from now? Two months? And for what? So I could go through the aggravation of having to backup and doctor my Pre, do the OTA, then figure out all my settings and restore all my programs and data ... only to dump that dinosaur the instant the Pre3 is available?

No thank you. I'm good with what I've got. I'll wait for the P3, and then I'll go to whatever carrier has it. I might say buh-bye to Sprint (my carrier of more than 10 years now) to stay with webOS. But I'm staying with webOS. Heck, they can pi55 on my shoes and I'll still stick with webOS rather than settle for Android or iOS. Making me miss an interim update is nothing.

On the other hand, anyone who purchased a Pre after being told that 2.0 would be released for the Pre1 should be steaming. If your carrier or whoever sold you the phone said that, then you should get a full refund. Telling you about future software is a warranty. When that software doesn't materialize, it becomes breach of warranty.
    Last edited by BubbaHooska; 02/09/2011 at 11:08 PM.
    - Bubba
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Agreed about Pre 2 being dead in the water... with Verizon being the only official carrier in the US (to my knowledge) and them just having released the iPhone 4, who is going to get a Pre 2? Sure, HP is selling the GSM Pre 2 unlocked, but almost nobody buys unsubsidized phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    My cheerleader skirt is getting warn out and you don't want to see my Schnauser weatring it.
    Hush... maybe I do....