Page 22 of 69 FirstFirst ... 121718192021222324252627 32 ... LastLast
  1.    #421  
    thread title updated - I was in a hurry, guys.
    OTA updates are not a big deal. I think it just as well to keep the carriers out of it and get the updates straight from HP via the Doctor.
    Im taking my Palm Pre back for the 8th time, getting the blackberry that they offered me. Palm how could you do this, i didnt get the evo on christmas because you promised me webos 2.0 on my sprint palm pre.
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    WOW is all I can say.... I've never complained or whined about anything on any of the forums or Facebook or twitter..... Until today..... Even though I'm happy with my overclocked pre plus, I/we were promised an OVA update and I was excited about flash support among many other things iin 2.x ...... I know in the end its just a phone and really doesn't matter, but once again, we as consumers, get screwed.
    ok my rant is done
    I wonder if it would do any good to flood their Facebook page and just have a huge outcry that we won't stand for it to be treated this way, or if that really wouldn't do any good.......... :::sigh:::
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    What a bunch of whiners! All with an "immediate gratification" Jones to feed. I started with a Handspring Visor in 2000. First cell phone was a Treo 300 then moved up to a Treo 600. Skipped the 650 and finally got a 700p. Moved to Pre (not a Plus, not a 2, but a Pre) a year ago. Would I like to have access to the features of Pre 2.0? Sure. Am I whining because I might have to connect to a PC to completely update the OS on my phone before I can get WebOS 2.0 features? Or, oh my, wait to buy an apparently AMAZING Pre 3? NOT!!!
    From a developer standpoint we now have ZERO phones that will support the new 2.0 apps... can't be that many Pre2's out there..... and MoJo will soon be phased out. So no SDK available to the public for 2.0.

So right now NO APPS are being written and we won't see a phone till June or July.

I guess developers should just sit on their hands for what? 6 months and hope for an SDK? Then hope there is some great rush for the Pre3? when almost everyone just got evo's and iPhones?

I guess we just sit around... time to go download that "illegal" Sprint WebOS 2.0 and overclock it....
    Lisa Brewster (via Twitter): "Guys, no OTA for legacy devices does NOT necessarily mean you're never getting 2.0. We're still working to do right by you."

Her statement also doesn't say we will get it. "NOT necessarily", means maybe you will get it but then again maybe not. Also, even if they do promise us the update who knows when we will get it. Wait, I know: "in coming months".

"[W]orking to do right by" us means having a definitive statement about the update and when we should have it.

To Lisa: You can tell your bosses that they just put the nail in their coffin. Look for a new job dear this ship is not skinking it has sunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullroarer Took View Post
    Now the original article has been pulled. Hmmm.....
    Where did it go? I wonder if HP didn't like the bad press....
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Twenty pages of posts, only one that makes sense.

I wonder how many of you actually read the article.

The article stated there are no OTA updates, but there WILL be flash-based (i.e. Doctor) updates.

This is not surprising. Don't forget the real improvements other than Flash is in the backend, with the db8 databases and Javascript updates. Converting all those on a miniscule processor the Pre has can take DAYS, or might not even complete properly. Don't even think about trying something like this on a Pixi. If anyone ever tried compiling Gentoo on an older processor, you'll know what I mean.

It makes much more sense to do this kind of upgrade with a full blown desktop rather than on-device.
    Did YOU read the post?

They never said there will be a doctor.

That was the article writer suggesting that as a possibility.

All they said is that they will put up a site...in the coming weeks...called "A Path to 2.X".

We don't know what that "path" is.

For all we know it's a link to a Veer pre-order page...
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    Not will. MAY. MAY. The article states that there MAY be doctor updates. Lisa didn't say there will be, she says it doesn't necessarily mean t here won't be.

Just like they said we would get flash on WebOS before the end of 2009, and that phones would be on sale weeks, not months after they were announced.

No one said WILL, and if you are sure they will, I've got some nice beach-front property in Kansas to sell to you.

She said MAY - not WILL.

Waaayyyyy back, Palm said the original Pre WILL have Flash.

Waaaayyyyy back, Palm said Flash would not be released as a standalone update but WILL be released as part of WebOS 2.0 that WILL be released on the original PRE as an OTA update.

Now Lisa is saying that the original Pre MAY get WebOS 2.0.

What happened to WILL?

What happened to HONESTY???
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    I have the VZ Pre Plus and was willing to wait till summer to pick up the Pre 3 when my contract expires instead of the Iphoney 5 (when available) BUT only if I could enjoy the webOS 2.X OTA Update. I trusted in Palm/HP and think the webOS is head and shoulders above the rest BUT when you **** off the extremely small core fan base that is a HORRIFIC management decision in my book.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    This absolutely does it for me.. in august i am moving on from this crap. I dont care if you can work to get it on there.. The lying is done. I am done.

Android here i come
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Oh, and I forgot to mention... I LOVE my Sprint Pre. Look forward to having a Pre 3 and Touchpad someday but in the meantime I'm good.
    Quote Originally Posted by NateEaton View Post
    What a bunch of whiners! All with an "immediate gratification" Jones to feed. I started with a Handspring Visor in 2000. First cell phone was a Treo 300 then moved up to a Treo 600. Skipped the 650 and finally got a 700p. Moved to Pre (not a Plus, not a 2, but a Pre) a year ago. Would I like to have access to the features of Pre 2.0? Sure. Am I whining because I might have to connect to a PC to completely update the OS on my phone before I can get WebOS 2.0 features? Or, oh my, wait to buy an apparently AMAZING Pre 3? NOT!!!
    Maybe you'll whine when you realize that's not why people are unhappy. HP are being unnecessarily evasive in their wording with regards to whether legacy users will get the WebOS 2.x update AT ALL. Like most others in this thread, I wouldn't expect such an update on an older phone if they hadn't assured us six months ago that we'd receive it.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Think about the developers!!!! lol they now have a ZERO user base... WebOS 2.0 on all Pre's and the such are now not going to happen. AND there is NO SDK out for 2.0... and ONLY the Pre2 available. With how big a user base? what about europeans?

wow...
    I feel bad for all the developers too...

Swyped from my HTC HD2 (CM7)
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I am a June 2009 Sprint Pre adopter. First the broken Flash support promise, then the loss of Doc View/PDF View support, and now the probably-broken webOS 2.x update promise... just on principle alone I am willing to leave webOS and all my purchased apps behind. That means no Pre 3, no TouchPad, no HP webOS printers. HP will lose my business for their entire family of webOS products if this proves true.
    Immediate gratification?? What are you talking about? I bought my Sprint Pre- in July 2009....still waiting on Flash....and a pdf viewer that actually works...
    Let us not forget the promised Docs to Go full featured editor that was flaunted to becoming at the original Pre launch event.s
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    I realize comes with the territory when it comes to webOS users but is now really the time to be snide?