Page 21 of 69 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 31 ... LastLast
    Palm demo'd WebOS 2.0 looooonnnnggggg before they even announced a Pre 2. So yeah, it works without a doubt on the original Pre. WHAT FRAKKING LIARS!!!!
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by stirling View Post
    from Twitter:
    Adora Lisa Brewster
    Guys, no OTA for legacy devices does NOT necessarily mean you're never getting 2.0. We're still working to do right by you.
    Twenty pages of posts, only one that makes sense.

I wonder how many of you actually read the article.

The article stated there are no OTA updates, but there WILL be flash-based (i.e. Doctor) updates.

This is not surprising. Don't forget the real improvements other than Flash is in the backend, with the db8 databases and Javascript updates. Converting all those on a miniscule processor the Pre has can take DAYS, or might not even complete properly. Don't even think about trying something like this on a Pixi. If anyone ever tried compiling Gentoo on an older processor, you'll know what I mean.

It makes much more sense to do this kind of upgrade with a full blown desktop rather than on-device.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I understand that at some point they have to cut the cord, and honestly, those of us who have already bought into the WebOS are just not enough to justify a lot of backward compatibility, but....

What does this mean for future users? Can they, if not material to a company the size of HP, count on similar treatment? The entire concept they are pushing requires a level of trust beyond what it takes to get a printer out the door or a laptop with someone else's OS.

Here is a hint HP. Pony up and replace older phones. You will get groundswell support. You will get users inclined to drop the money for your Touchpad (and the apps that will go with it). You do not have to give an even swap, but it needs to make a new phone noticeably cheaper than a new android device. It will help your revenue stream long term and build what no engineer has on his computer in all of HP. Trust.
    I spent WAY too much time trying to convince others to get WebOS. A few that did will never trust me on tech advice again haha.

I was disappointed earlier from the announcement. I am livid from the lies!

So long, and thanks for the free touchstone.
    -Iain
    (If one comes through your window, "I didn't do it!")

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    I upgraded to a DInc a couple of months ago, but kept the Pre Plus hoping that i'd eventually return.. guess i'll just suffer through Android a bit longer.

BTW, webOS really is much, much better than Android. (as if you needed to be told that)
    Yes this is truly pushing me to look at the fruitco (which is eating alot of crow), or the google. If Lisa's tweet means anything they'd better talk "when" pretty soon as my Pre's mic just died. Summer seems a bit long for new devices, maybe longer in the rest of the world. Elop's flames are licking over here a bit too!
    M100=> 180 => 270 => 600 => 650 => 680 => 680 => 680 => Pre(GSM Pre minus)=>Galaxy S2 32GB
    Global Posts
    987 Global Posts
    I totally thought today I would be sporting webos2.0 on my pre minus I wish I can take back my vote on laptopmag for best os....
    Wow.

So they hype up the original release of the Pre and then fail with that terrible, terrible alien lady marketing campaign and now, after hyping this "Think Beyond" event (which I think we all figured was a Pre "reboot") they manage to anger what is probably a very-sizable percentage of their few-remaining users.

/facePALM
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Twenty pages of posts, only one that makes sense.

I wonder how many of you actually read the article.

The article stated there are no OTA updates, but there WILL be flash-based (i.e. Doctor) updates.
    Not will. MAY. MAY. The article states that there MAY be doctor updates. Lisa didn't say there will be, she says it doesn't necessarily mean t here won't be.

Just like they said we would get flash on WebOS before the end of 2009, and that phones would be on sale weeks, not months after they were announced.

No one said WILL, and if you are sure they will, I've got some nice beach-front property in Kansas to sell to you.
    PalmHP is a disgrace! Promises and Promises lead to nothing. If only there was proof that they promised Flash there could be a class action suit.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    all i can say is i could care less about it being OTA. that said i couldn't care more that we (who have been in the desert for how long now living off of empty promises "in the coming months") get what we were promised. we have been told many times that 2.x would be coming to old devices as well as many of its components(ahem...flash) so although i am beyond angry at this treatment, i will restrain myself a little longer for that update.

from one of us who has been recommending WebOS to others since i got the device and have always spoken against furry in the past (sprint, flash , new devices, updates, docs, etc, etc.)
    Wow I switched from webOS to android then back to webOS and now I get this, no webOS 2.0 and no long waited flash 10.1 HP you failed me in computers and mobile products ^-^ I'm forever staying with Android now
    I'm gonna need more than a tweet saying "no OTA for legacy devices does NOT necessarily mean you're never getting 2.0"... I'm hoping for something that tells us where each device stands re 2.x
    As an avid supporter of Palm (Palm III, IV, Tungsten T, TX, Centro, Pre+), I'm totally disappointed in hearing this. Now, I have to seriously think about my next step.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Reading this VERY carefully I don't see where this says the Pre and Pixi are getting 2.1. The Pre 2 is an existing device, and it's getting 2.1. I think this is just someone making a poorly written statement after the press conference, and it being misinterpreted.
    Now the original article has been pulled. Hmmm.....
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
    One of the more weasely aspects of this development is that it wasn't mentioned at today's event. It was leaked hours later. This leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If HP/Palm had decided they couldn't do OTA upgrades they should have announced it at the event and said, "But good news! We've prepared a 2.0 webOS Doctor for legcy devices and it's available starting now. Just go to www...." The fact that this didn't happen suggests that there is no solution available now (and possibly never will be). So it's hard to escape the notion that HP was hoping to bury the bad news. While I'd be delighted to be proven wrong, for moment I'm just ****ed.
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    Not will. MAY. MAY. The article states that there MAY be doctor updates. Lisa didn't say there will be, she says it doesn't necessarily mean t here won't be.

Just like they said we would get flash on WebOS before the end of 2009, and that phones would be on sale weeks, not months after they were announced.

No one said WILL, and if you are sure they will, I've got some nice beach-front property in Kansas to sell to you.
    Yeah, seriously. Do they not have politicians in Canada, Toni?
    I really hope this announcement makes all the loyal palm users (like myself) to think beyond HP and go with Google/Android. Bunch of lying *******s.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Palm is thinking too far ahead. Here is where android shines, fully open source, and custom roms a barely depend on the manufacturer.