Page 18 of 69 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122232868 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tacroy View Post
    It SOUNDS like palm is going to offer users a choice:
    1. Stay with 1.4.5 and keep all your data
    2. Update in a safe way that will NUKE your data cause 2.x uses a new data structure that is incompatible with 1.4.5

Really? It SOUNDS like that?

Does it sound like flash will available by the end of 2009? By Spring 2010? By Summer 2010?
    Does it sound like the new phones will be available for purchase "in weeks, not months" after being announced?

Put down the glass of fruit-flavored drink you claim not to be kool-aid.
    so this is some bs.at first when webos 2 was started nd hp bought palm nd it wasnt realease "in the coming months" i thought hp was fixing or tweaking some software so it can be better when its released.now that its (web os 2) not being released to the former palm users.guess this will be goodbye to hp by the was-loyal palm pre nd pixi user.
    Well this just sucks..good thing I have a touch when contract up gonna switch prob 2 android or iPhone cuz remember 1.4.5? TOK FOREVER this is my gud byes to palm

Edit: Look at other palm devices... I'm staying with palm
    Just read through all the pages on this forum, and a couple of things stand out for me.

I had a Centro through Verizon and upgraded to the Pre+ last summer. I did a lot of comparative research on WebOS, because my computers run Windows XP, Windows 7, Mac OS X, and several flavors of Linux. What I saw, I liked enough to go the WebOS route, and I went with the Pre+ because of the alleged upcoming 2.0 upgradability.

Now, I will say that I'm disappointed, but not entirely surprised by the decision to not offer 2.x OTA to existing devices. It makes sense, logistically, for HP to offer the upgrade this way, thus cutting out the carriers, who would simply delay the upgrade even longer by putting it through their own specific testing and customization (and honestly, I despise VZNavigator).

The other thing that stands out for me is something that was mentioned in the CNET coverage of the announcement. Throughout this thread, people have continually referred to "HP Palm," "HPalm," or simply "Palm." The company is HP. The products are the HP TouchPad, the HP Pre2, the HP Pre3, and the HP Veer. The operating system is HP WebOS. Palm doesn't exist any more, and I think that makes a huge difference here.

For what it's worth, I despise the way IOS works, and Android is too Google and not enough end-user. I love WebOS 1.4.5, and I've dropped all sorts of tweaks into it. When my upgrade time comes up (and from the tone of this conversation, I'll probably get slammed for saying this), I will most likely stay with the WebOS device that is current at that time (I'm hoping for a slightly larger phone, but still with a physical keyboard), and I'm probably going to purchase some version of the TouchPad (hopefully they'll release one in a 16x9 screen configuration).

So, I'll keep my eyes open for an official webpage from HP, with an official simplified Doctor version on it, and I'll go from there. While I hate what HP has done to Palm, I still believe that WebOS is the best mobile OS out there, and I will continue to support WebOS, even if I don't support HP.
    Last edited by lagarrett; 02/09/2011 at 07:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    This doesn't surprise me. I have owned a few Palm hand-helds plus one Jornada and they all forced you to purchase new hardware to get new software features. Hopefully the home brew community will have a fix. Frankly, there is not much difference between an overclocked Pre+ and the Pre2 hardware. I just hope that some of the new apps will run on 1.4.5 but I think we got dropped kicked.
    This is end of my love for WebOS. The WebOS community is AMAZING. WebOS had the potential to be amazing and give such control and user power to everybody. HP has decided to hem it in, use the vision of the potential greatness that we all saw, and use it to sell us all the same old HP koolaid. BOHICA.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnark View Post
    lets build an angry birds mod called "angry webos userbase" throwing ourselves against green hps, palms, pre3s, veers and touchpads
    Awesome idea!! I'd play it so much I'd definitely get 3 stars on every level.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    wow... just wow. HP was lucky to inherit a loyal Palm fanbase when they purchased the company. We may be small, but we are loyal. WHY in god's name would that make a move like this? Why alienate the few folks that they had already converted?!??? I'm ****ed. i understand that they have to focus on pushing out their new (rather impressive) line... and i want them to do well with it... but now i have almost no motivation to continue on with HP/Palm when my contract is up... i don't get to be a part of the "In Crowd"... Pre and Pixi users are the ugly stepchildren of the HP family now. We are the adopted children in this marriage and they have lied to us. We are no longer welcome.
    You know what else is infuriating? Watching Jon give his speech today and him talking about one of the great things about webOS is how they've improved upon the OS using OTA updates (he stressed this point) and then immediately afterwards he talked about the importance of webOS 2.1 and all the new features it brings users and developers.

This segment of the video implies that we will be getting webOS 2.1 OTA. Why make a point of discussing webOS 2.1 and OTA updates when you know that you're not going to deliver after months of promising it? That's ridiculous!

Here's the link to the video (at the specific timeframe of his statement):
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    I get not supporting old devices. All technology is "end of life'd" eventually.

What makes me mad is that HP has forced us into a corner. They won't upgrade our old phones and we can't get new phones (on Sprint).

Guess they expect us to sit and wait until they are ready. I've been with Palm since 1998 and now have a corporate account with 15 Palm phones. Sad as it makes me, I don't know if I can keep waiting...
    stop the presses! Palm tweets:'
    'all the feedback and questions are appreciated -- will be sharing as much info as possible as soon as possible'
    at least they're communicative.
    How do we know he's not lying?
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Why all the "no flash" talk? Did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by www.Palm.com

Web

Experience the web the way it was meant to be. With support for the Adobe Flash® Plugin 10.1, you can access your favorite Flash-based games, videos, and other rich interactive content through the browser. HP webOS 2.0 also contains HTML5 enhancements including geo-location support.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    stop the presses! Palm tweets:'
    'all the feedback and questions are appreciated -- will be sharing as much info as possible as soon as possible'
    at least they're communicative.
    lol, now they say "as soon as possible" instead of "in the coming months"

if HPalm had a reasonable explanation they should have released that info by now.
    Well then HP just took a 5H17 on my cake that they just gave me today..

Edit: RAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Toaster
    Last edited by toasterthegamer; 02/09/2011 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Cause I am raginnnn
    Or want us to believe this! I don't think they really care.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    You know what else is infuriating? Watching Jon give his speech today and him talking about one of the great things about webOS is how they've improved upon the OS using OTA updates (he stressed this point) and then immediately afterwards he talked about the importance of webOS 2.1 and all the new features it brings users and developers.

This segment of the video implies that we will be getting webOS 2.1 OTA. Why make a point of discussing webOS 2.1 and OTA updates when you know that you're not going to deliver after months of promising it? That's ridiculous!

Here's the link to the video (at the specific timeframe of his statement):

great point, and how sad
    I see pandas.
    Well what can I say...I'm too!

HP had the very good chance to make it better than Google with Android, where the you are lucky when you get at least one minor update. What happens now with webOS is the same as Android...sort of. You can't use new apps because the system API of your "older" phone operating system doesn't offer the functionality required for the app. This is not acceptable from my developer view (locking out >95% of the customers...at least not when it takes month until a doctor update will show up) and also not as a user of the first hour.

As webOS 1.45 still lacks several functionality in software a calendar capable to compete with good old PalmOS (yes for some the Uebercalendar does the job), missing Flash, missing/not working Jabber/ICQ IM, missing audio recording feature, VPN and so on. There is need to get webOS 2.1 to the "old" devices.

If I can't do an over the air update that's fine as long as I can jump to webOS v2.1 using the doctor and this doesn't take ages (1+ month).

If I could get a developer phone from HP I might be in better mood right now but as I live in Germany this won't happen...as HP represenatives posted on several occasions in the developer forum.

HP should get some clear information out soon regarding the update of older devies starting with the original pre.
    Last edited by magog96; 02/09/2011 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Removed some of the comment and added some other
    Juergen
    Quote Originally Posted by thednbselecta View Post
    wow, such hostility. really folks, you only like your pre and webos becuase of the prospect of a future update? isnt what webos is and has been good enough for you? i am quite happy w/ webos and what it does w/out 2.0. it still beats andriod as far as mulititasking, tweeks, and asthetic is concerened. and 2.0 wasnt going to do anything for your hardware needs anyway. the reason behind this decesion is probably becuase most pre users do not have their phones overclocked and flash support on a 500mhz phone would suck.
    Hey *******, it's not just about Flash. You think anyone is going to bother writing apps for 1.4.5 compatibility? And there's other things like voice dialing and VPN which are things many people have been waiting for. It's the principle of Palm/HP lying to everyone that has people extremely fuming about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    Why all the "no flash" talk? Did I miss something?
    In webOS 2.x But there's no webOS 2.x for older devices now and in the near future!