Page 17 of 69 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 27 67 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tacroy View Post
    PEOPLE

STOP READING "no OTA update to 2.x" as NO UPDATE TO 2.x! Right now, it could just mean you will need to update to 2.x via your computer.

You know, the EXACT same way that iphone has to update.

It does NOT mean (right now anyway) that we won't get 2.x It just means you'll have to "GASP" plug in a usb cord to install it.

Dude - - quit drinking the Kool-Aid. See it for what it is.
    Down with the union!
    lets build an angry birds mod called "angry webos userbase" throwing ourselves against green hps, palms, pre3s, veers and touchpads
    What a big let down, and to think I waited this long for that. Palm Pre, the first, the beginning of something new and now look what you've done HP. Yep looks like the transition to the IPHONE will be much easier now. Guess they just don't get it, and now I don't either. Peace, it's been a wonderful ride to end in disappointment.
    What an announcement! HP made a small(er) Pre, a (slightly) bigger Pre and an iPad knockoff. All to be available "in the coming months." We've all heard that before. Then they turned around and kicked us life-long Palm users in the gut changing a long awaited promise for new software to a resounding, "Screw you!" I have put up with the original Pre's slow moving OS in the hopes that better was coming. Then I waited five months to hear an announcement to wait five more months for an underwhelming product. Hey, maybe the new line of Pre's will be just as reliable as the HP laptop I'm typing on. It's had four major components fail, sits on a cooling pad so it won't overheat and I just threw the dead battery away today. Thanks for nothing HP!
    The more I read it, the more it looks like, the "Path to 2.X" is actually going to be a stupid Veer preorder page. >.>
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Heh, Nah no Kool-aid. Just reading comprehension.
    There is a very legit rational for not having an OTA update that WIPES YOUR DATA.

1.4.5 Apparently uses a different data structure than 2.x

So you have 2 options. Either DON'T get any of the benefits of a new data structure OR offer an OPTION to update.

It SOUNDS like palm is going to offer users a choice:
    1. Stay with 1.4.5 and keep all your data
    2. Update in a safe way that will NUKE your data cause 2.x uses a new data structure that is incompatible with 1.4.5

I agree that it SUCKS that this didn't happen TODAY. I was expecting a 2.x update to my pre minus today and I'm annoyed that I don't have a timeline for it.

By all means, be ****ed for that.

But the majority of people here are freaking out and saying
    "How DARE hp lie about pre's getting 2.x!!!!!!" When thats not what Hp said. Be ****ed for legit reasons, not mis-understood ones.
    I am outraged right now..... I bought the Palm Pre Plus purely based on the fact that it stated on the Palm site that WebOs 2.0 will 'be coming in the coming month'.. This is a total disregard to loyal customers..

Living in China, I've had tons of options, but decided to stick it out, 'february 9, my phone will get updated'...

Well, here's a big middle-finger in the air to you HP... go fudge yourself....

Why would I ever buy a new device from HP/Palm again, when I know that during the next update cycle that my device will be 'left behind', only to have to buy a new device again to have up-to-date software... ????!!??!?!?

I don't care if I will be able to go through a heckish manual download MAYBE LATER(In the coming months?? Yeah right...), OTA on older devices SHOULD be on the to-do list at HP HQ..

-Extremely disgruntled HP customer..
    *looks at my old pre*
    *looks at my new evo*
    *looks at my old pre*
    *looks at my new evo*

I'm glad I switched last month ..
    --Marvin
    There is a very legit rational for not having an OTA update that WIPES YOUR DATA.

So you have 2 options. Either DON'T get any of the benefits of a new data structure OR offer an OPTION to update.

2. Update in a safe way that will NUKE your data cause 2.x uses a new data structure that is incompatible with 1.4.5

I agree that it SUCKS that this didn't happen TODAY. I was expecting a 2.x update to my pre minus today and I'm annoyed that I don't have a timeline for it.

"How DARE hp lie about pre's getting 2.x!!!!!!" When thats not what Hp said. Be ****ed for legit reasons, not mis-understood ones.
    I agree here, though it would be nice if HP were more transparent about it all.
    Check this techradar post and read it, not sure where they got their info from!

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/webos-2-1-coming-to-palm-pre-2-927342
    wow...today was supposed to be our great day for webos. It has atually ended up being iits worse. All the waiting and this is what we get. I now see why palm went bankrupt and why so many high level people left. Maybe I'll be back in the summer, maybe I won't. I can't take this crap no more and thankfully hp has shown us their plans so we don't have to. Watch how fast webos disappears when so many of us leave. We never got flash after 2 years! I'm just waiting on the lawsuit....sign me up. Iphone or android here I come!
    iOS is looking so tasty right now.
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Thats it time to look for that leaked webos doctor with 2.0.1 for the spint pres ive heard that there isnt too many bugs, i love webos too much to switch to crappy android or the overly hyped ios WP7 looks decent but i cant live without TRUE multitasking.....HO you are lucky that im a loyal user as i love my origional day one pre and i dont really mind the formfactor. But you better speed up the process in me getting a pre3 and it better be on sprint XP
  15. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    OK, I've read this whole thread and had time to think things over. From what I can gather, the OTA update cannot be rolled out due to not being able to leave the USB partition intact. (Imagine the fallout if that happened to all webOS users.)

The vagueness of HP's "intention" to offer a (likely) USB upgrade path is what's upsetting folks here. Who cares if the update is OTA or not? Having finally admitted to themselves that they cannot accomplish the update via OTA, they must now plan how to update folks that want it. This probably involves some lengthy programming which copies your USB partition to storage (local or possibly on HP servers), performs the update, then replaces your USB files intact. Obviously, messing with folks' personal files is tricky business, and Federally regulated in some instances, so it's going to take some time.

WHAT ****ES ME OFF IS THAT THEY DON'T JUST COME OUT AND SAY THAT, LEAVING US TO WONDER IF THEY ARE FULL OF **** AGAIN.

That being said, if Palm and/or the carriers can't get this figured out, I have faith that webosinternals will.

P.S. For all the folks saying "just get a Pre2/3, etc, some of us on Verizon like our free Mobile Hotspot, which is not likely included with Pre2/3. The only way for us to get voice dialing and camera API-capable apps is an upgrade to our current device.
    O RLY? I guess we'll see what happens.

Regardless of how this turns out, this just goes to show how freakin' reactionary people are. I figure everyone will look back and shake their heads at how silly they were acting.

so if this was impossible to handle in reasonable way on linux, i would have agreed, but linux is not windows and resizing lvm partition and adding two partitions are not black magic, not to speak of totally outdated kernels and drivers they were using (not going with TI own patchsets on recent kernels) the problem is running now on qualcomm so they need another kernel and drivers for the gfx and that's why we are left behind. the same will happen to the pre2 users, why should they support another architecture. so its really a nightmare how they handle it, but it is really about money
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I hope this is true, but it is completely contrary to the report by the PC folks who edidently had a face to face with HP?

Lets hope.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s

They also didn't say they WOULD get 2.X. In fact, all they said was they were going to put up a website called "A Path to 2.X". They didn't promise a doctor, that was just the writer being optimistic. There is a chance there will be a doctor, but HP never said that. For all you know that site could just be advertisement for the Pre2, Veer and Pre3. There is no legitimate reason for us NOT to be ****ed.
    Ok, so where is the donate button for the precentral devs that will provide a "stable" 2.x doctor?

This is the only way i stick with HP now.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold