Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    As a developer myself, I know that if the same situation was developing with Dell and another fictional OS, I wouldn't think twice and simply ignore it, expectingly if I had to learn some other technology to do so.
    Your looking at it how things are right now. Many people phones, Tv's, Blue Ray players, MP3 Players all run on different software. What happens if a person's Phone, TV, Mp3 Player, Blue Ray player, Printer and toaster all runs on the same software? Would you change your tune?
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by el_dheeb View Post
    Your looking at it how things are right now. Many people phones, Tv's, Blue Ray players, MP3 Players all run on different software. What happens if a person's Phone, TV, Mp3 Player, Blue Ray player, Printer and toaster all runs on the same software? Would you change your tune?
    Currently, you have a OS with 3% share in the US mobile market (less than 1% in the rest of the world). No carriers announced and vague "coming in the summer" sounds. You are talking about five years out (if it was successful), what *at the moment* is compelling to a developer?
    HP "shipping webOS on PCs" is probably one of two things.

1. WebOS will be an 'instant-on' experience - don't wait for Windows just to check your e-mail, just use webOS instant-on. It will also be a better instant-on experience because it will be expandable via the App Catalog.

Since devs will already be targeting the 10" TouchPad there won't be any "how to scale from smartphone to PC" issues. It will just be the TouchPad experience...even bigger (*cough* Enyo Framework *cough*)

2. A "My webOS" app that runs on top of Windows (or even better from a browser).

In an ideal world, HP would do both so that if you are already in Windows you can still access your webOS functionality without rebooting the system...while maintaining a 'killer feature' in the instant-on experience.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    If you wanted that, you could just buy Apple.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by bearda View Post
    Because it run Windows, and not WebOS. If it ran WebOS and you couldn't play WoW on it would you have still bought it?
    Oh, and I have a hard time believing that World of War craft wouldn't make a version for a WEBos PC. The same version would also work for the phone - BECAUSE ITS THE SAME SOFTWARE. Open up your minds--think beyond
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    If you wanted that, you could just buy Apple.
    Their software isn't cross compatable. A Macintosh has a different Operating system than an Ipod
    Their software isn't cross compatable. A Macintosh has a different Operating system than an Ipod
    Not exactly.

And seriously, the idea of Blizzard making a webOS version of World of Warcraft is pretty much /thread.
    I think we'll find WebOS as a layer ontop of Windows. Something similar to what we have seen with their new touchscreen desktop. It will somehow run on Windows (I know it's not as simple as saying it) and will provide a similar expeirence as the TouchPad in a desktop environment.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I think it will replace the current hp touchsmart program...and that would be really nice and expose many users to the wonders of webos
    I dont think they will make PCs that COMPLETELY runs webOS.
    OKay, this thread is for humor right?

Google Docs may be a threat, but WebOS??? Ridiculous.

If they're lucky, 2 years down the road, HP will have 10 million units of devices (printers, PCs, Phones, tablets, laptops) with some version of WebOS installed. Then, and only then will the developer community notice at all.

They'll still be tens of millions of units behind just the Android and iOS phones. Not to mention, Apple could very easily build a better conduit between Mac OS and iOS and then what would HP do?

This is all for jokes, right?
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post

They'll still be tens of millions of units behind just the Android and iOS phones. Not to mention, Apple could very easily build a better conduit between Mac OS and iOS and then what would HP do?
    Ruby leaves and becomes the CEO of Apple. Curtains again for HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by R1Gami View Post
    HP "shipping webOS on PCs" is probably one of two things.

1. WebOS will be an 'instant-on' experience - don't wait for Windows just to check your e-mail, just use webOS instant-on. It will also be a better instant-on experience because it will be expandable via the App Catalog.

Since devs will already be targeting the 10" TouchPad there won't be any "how to scale from smartphone to PC" issues. It will just be the TouchPad experience...even bigger (*cough* Enyo Framework *cough*)

2. A "My webOS" app that runs on top of Windows (or even better from a browser).

In an ideal world, HP would do both so that if you are already in Windows you can still access your webOS functionality without rebooting the system...while maintaining a 'killer feature' in the instant-on experience.
    Currently the boot time for WebOS, isn't excactly what I would consider "instant on". Hope they have fixed that with the 3.0 release.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    They did mention that Eventually HP would be shipping 100 million units a year that would have WebOS on them. That does not mean it will be the only OS on the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by bnewell View Post
    Currently the boot time for WebOS, isn't excactly what I would consider "instant on". Hope they have fixed that with the 3.0 release.
    True. But, if you strapped webOS to a device with 3GB+ of RAM and a Core i3+ CPU (in other words standard issue 2011 laptop)...instant-on isn't a difficult proposition.
    I think it's just ridiculous to think that hp would ship laptops running only webos. The desktop and laptop operating system world is controlled by apple and windows. Has been that way ever since operating systems were made. When windows was created computers weren't really a household thing. It was much easier for another company to come in with a different operating system. There was more room for competition. Now we have been controlled by these 2 companies ever since. The only reason google chrome may do alright is because they've gone about it a different way. Started out by just making a browser, and now they have a mobile os, which as everyone knows is dominating. No one knows crap about webos, and if you think webos can survive on other devices without hp first making sure the phones are up to par with other phones and that people actually want to purchase them, then I assure you that you're wrong.
    What Hp did today was force all software designers to develop software for WEBos. How? By letting them know HP will start shipping out their computers with WEBos being the operating system. All of the applications that has ignored this platform must play ball now. If they don't, they can't do business with the largest computer manufacturer in the world. It was never about the Pre, it was about WEBos.
    and your still in la la land or in denial
    I think after watching the complete presentation that HP is creating a pathway for other VERY LARGE corporations to sell us product. The number of viewers of Time Inc magazines discussed at the presentation was BIG -- I may be remembering this wrong -- but something like 145 million people for People magazine EVERY WEEK. DreamWorks will have all its content available for the TouchPad when it's released. HP is shipping two PCs and printers every SECOND.

These are big businesses looking for ways to sell product whether it be ink, magazines, movies, or something we haven't even thought of yet. I don't know if this whole thing with WebOS will work out, but I know that big companies can throw lots of money at it and lots of interest. Not that Time or DreamWorks or any other company will distribute exclusively via HP products, but their coattails are mighty big.

I see the value of having WebOS or any operating system across devices is that people will know how to get the product and that's a good thing. Among my friends we laugh about our frustration using the "new" HD TV's and digital cable systems. Too many remotes, takes too long to get anywhere, always changing, etc. We have the desire to consume, but not the patience to overcome the user interface challenges. Anything that can make consumption easier and pleasurable will be rewarded.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    I bet they're not planning on only doing webOS, and it's not insane (maybe not bright), but just look at what Google thinks will come from their Chrome OS on laptops/netbooks.
    but those are laptops dedicated to Chrome OS, if HP laptops come with Windows 7, how many would use the optional webOS? Not Many
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    i just think they will start building in a virtual enviroment and dual boot option.... i think thats the best way for hp to transition. plus for enterprise and businesses they do not need most of consumer apps out there. in fact alot of companies design there own proprietary software. if they can make webos easy enough to develop for tons of businesses may choose to run webos since it is so intergrated into the web.. who knows...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast