Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    webOS is coming to PCs later this year -- Engadget

I hope they release it before my laptop dies off. A webOS PC will be the first thing I'll look at to replace my laptop.
    Great!
    I'm incredibly psyched for this. I can see cards/stacks totally working on desktops/laptops with the correct implementation tweaks.

I have a vision of fully-fledged linux, desktop-savvy interface, touchscreen netbooks, etc.

I hope we get something along those lines.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I don't want a WebOS PC. What would i do with it? But I wouldn't mind a WebOs virtual machine running on my Windows Desktop. If my phone is near, or docked to, my computer then notifications etc., show up on my desktop. Drag and drop data, music, etc. back and forth between WebOS window and my desktop and syncing automagically to the cloud for my phone and pad to access.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    My gut reaction is that this may be more for an intant-on dual boot environment rather than full-time use. I know a couple netBook vendors have already done something like this with Linux, and have the option to boot into windows.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by semprance View Post
    I'm incredibly psyched for this. I can see cards/stacks totally working on desktops/laptops with the correct implementation tweaks.

I have a vision of fully-fledged linux, desktop-savvy interface, touchscreen netbooks, etc.

I hope we get something along those lines.
    I think it will be interesting to see how webOS on a PC stacks up against Ubuntu's new Unity interface. They both are designed for touch devices, and both are based on Linux. It would be nice if either platform can finally bring Linux to the masses.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearda View Post
    My gut reaction is that this may be more for an intant-on dual boot environment rather than full-time use. I know a couple netBook vendors have already done something like this with Linux, and have the option to boot into windows.
    This would make the most sense. There's just too little in the way of robust software for a desktop version to be viable. An "instant-on" webOS in a desktop/laptop ROM would be a nice thing to have to light, administrative/social computing.
    I'm thinking it would be like an instant on, low overhead thing. For example you can boot into webos on a pc or load it in a full screen vm over windows. Think Google Chrome OS. This could be a really cool idea. It wouldn't replace windows or mac os.
    I can see HP moving the TouchSmart line to WebOS. That makes sense to me.
    Really suprised I haven't seen anybody make these points on the front page yet, much less post on this in the forums:

WebOS is developed on ARM, but almost all of our PCs are x86. I'm shocked that nobody asked HP how they intend to bring it to PCs despite this. Just because they say they'll do it doesn't mean they'll do it in the way you expect them to:

To me, their announcement could actually mean three different things:

1) They are starting from the beginning and actually writing an x86 version of WebOS, then maintaining the OS on two different architectures. This seems to be what everybody thinks is going to happen but what is the usefulness of this beyond being relegated to a glorified fastboot OS?
    2) They'll embed ARM chipsets into future PCs specifically to be able to run WebOS. Many benefits like huge battery life if they do this...and it would be far less work on their part. But guess what? You can't install a version of WebOS for your current computer. And if they make an ARM nettop? No dual boot to Windows...
    3) They're expanding ARES beyond a development platform, making a version of the WebOS desktop that you can access from a browser (similar to the Jolicloud distro). This seems the most useful, most "synergistic", and is what I think they're doing...but the OS will not be able to run many applications this way and it's much different than people are thinking.

2 and 3 seem obviously more likely to me than 1...
    I was just looking at the 12" touchsmart notebook. If they could pull off something like, instant on WebOS when in tablet mode and Win7 when in notebook.... That would be sweet! Wasn't Lenovo going to do something similar with the U1 hybrid?
    webos on pc sounds interesting. But hp would mostly lock it down to their own line of pcs.

I would also like webos as a standalone install like windows. Ie install on any x86 pc. That will be amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleFart9 View Post
    Really suprised I haven't seen anybody make these points on the front page yet, much less post on this in the forums:

WebOS is developed on ARM, but almost all of our PCs are x86. I'm shocked that nobody asked HP how they intend to bring it to PCs despite this. Just because they say they'll do it doesn't mean they'll do it in the way you expect them to:

To me, their announcement could actually mean three different things:

1) They are starting from the beginning and actually writing an x86 version of WebOS, then maintaining the OS on two different architectures. This seems to be what everybody thinks is going to happen but what is the usefulness of this beyond being relegated to a glorified fastboot OS?
    2) They'll embed ARM chipsets into future PCs specifically to be able to run WebOS. Many benefits like huge battery life if they do this...and it would be far less work on their part. But guess what? You can't install a version of WebOS for your current computer. And if they make an ARM nettop? No dual boot to Windows...
    3) They're expanding ARES beyond a development platform, making a version of the WebOS desktop that you can access from a browser (similar to the Jolicloud distro). This seems the most useful, most "synergistic", and is what I think they're doing...but the OS will not be able to run many applications this way and it's much different than people are thinking.

2 and 3 seem obviously more likely to me than 1...
    3 seems likely, but I don't think it'll be browser (at least not ie). I think HP will have their own "browser-less" app (like adobe AIR) that will run any WebOS programs that were made using Enyo. I do not expect legacy and native (non-enyo) apps to work on the PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    I'm thinking it would be like an instant on, low overhead thing. For example you can boot into webos on a pc or load it in a full screen vm over windows. Think Google Chrome OS. This could be a really cool idea. It wouldn't replace windows or mac os.
    webOS and instant on, in the same sentence?!? O.o
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleFart9 View Post
    They already have a version of WebOS running on the x86 architecture - it's called the WebOS emulator, a virtual machine that's included in the Mojo SDK for developers to test their software.

It gets updated with every release of WebOS - current version is 1.4.5.

There is even a story on PreCentral from a while back about someone who took the files from the virtual machine and made their PC boot into WebOS. (I did a quick search but could not find it just now.)
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by George Mari View Post
    They already have a version of WebOS running on the x86 architecture - it's called the WebOS emulator, a virtual machine that's included in the Mojo SDK for developers to test their software.
    Shhh, we don't want facts getting in the way of criticism and pessimism.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    WebOS core runs on top of the linux 2.6 kernel and subsystem. Which in turn is already available for x86, arm, power pc, sparc processors etc.

so in theory, they can just use different linux cores for each platform, without changing webos itself much, like the x86 emulator as mentioned above.
    Last edited by FunkiBluDawg; 02/13/2011 at 03:06 AM.
    It would be quite cool if they could modify something like knopix or an ubuntu distro and releaase webOS as the windows manager (or what ever the correct term is) on top. That would be one way to generate interest in apps. I'd quite like to give it a shot on my eee-pc. HP must have a fair aamount of UNIX experience to do this through their HP-UX team.

Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Most points were interesting, there are enough threads on here to play webOS hater card, could you not go find one of those?
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I really wouldn't consider a testing environment to be the same thing as a release meant for the general public...it would take a lot more work and maintenance to even get it off the ground. Just look at the discussion threads people have made here regarding booting WebOS on a PC...very few people get past kernel panics at boot.

I don't mean for criticism and pessimism to be coming through on my post...I like the idea of having WebOS on PCs but I'm speculating on the way in which they are going to implement it.
    I want to get a laptop before September (student), and I'm sure webOS won't be out for laptops by then, but I'm curious to know if their current line of laptops will also be updated.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast