View Poll Results: Should we petition Palm for more options with the launcher?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I sent a feature request or will very soon!

34 87.18%
  • Who cares?

4 10.26%
  • Actually, let's not do this. It's rude.

1 2.56%
  1.    #1  

Dear webOS brothers and sisters,

I'll try to be brief. I want my 2.x and I want my 4x4! How about you?!

In case you haven't heard, with the advent of webOS 2.x, the application launcher has/will become remarkably less patchable. Including, but not limited to, the removal of the option to change how many icons are in each column/row. This is making a lot of people, myself included, very unhappy.

I say we do something about it!

Here is a link to Palm's Feedback and Feature Requests page.

If they hear from us enough we might just get what we want. I imagine this wouldn't be the most difficult thing for them, so our chances of success (if we TRY) will be good.

Please join me. I'll even provide copy pasta. Feel free to use/change it.

How would you like the feature to work?

It's almost irrelevant how it comes about, but one option is a preferences option in the drop-down menu in the launcher that would allow the user to customize the number of application icons in the launcher grid. Another option would be to simply change the launcher to host 4 icons per row.

Why is this feature important to you? Please be as detailed as possible as to how this feature will help you.

In short, it's about one thing: Access. Access to more options at one time without a loss to the user. Thousands of us loyal webOS users have been patching our application launchers for quite some time, and frankly, we've grown quite attached to the idea. The most popular option is increasing the number of icons in the grid, most commonly to 4x4 or 4x5. It has come to our attention that this will no longer be possible in webOS 2.0 and beyond, and this has many users very frustrated. All due respect, the thought of regressing to 3-icon rows makes me shudder a little. Some are considering not updating to 2.x at all solely on account of this issue, which would be a shame considering how much work the Palm team has put in and all the great features those users would be missing out on. Thank you so much for everything you do, but please address this issue!
    Last edited by Psychonaut; 02/08/2011 at 12:34 AM.
    I want more flexibility than just 4x4. They should be able to do a user definable configuration in a similar way to sconix's patch. I have a 5x6 grid that I don't want to give up. But good idea to hit the feedback link. I'll do that now.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I want more flexibility than just 4x4. They should be able to do a user definable configuration in a similar way to sconix's patch. I have a 5x6 grid that I don't want to give up. But good idea to hit the feedback link. I'll do that now.
    Yeah. I've actually got mine set up pretty particularly to my liking. But I'll take what I can get!

launcher.png
    I would be just fine with the option of toggling three or four apps in a launcher row. I'll banish all bundled crapware to the final launcher page if I have to, but I really, really want 4x4.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    ...Just thought I'd put it out there. webOS is built to scale, larger screen devices are likely to have more icons. Just sayin'
    Request sent a few minutes ago...
    Just so you know . I know for a fact they know that we want to be able to adjust the launcher to our desired settings and they will or will not ,by their own determination , add it into the update following 2.x.x .

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I voted yes.
    Meh, I use the Universal Search to launch apps, it's faster for me.
    I don't think it is rude or anything. Palm has done a great job of listening to us and working with us. So if we have requests, why not go for it?

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    I did my part would really like to have the option of 4x4 icons. 3 just seems too cramped. 4 seems to be the sweet spot for most smartphones and would like to have it part of webOS.