1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it.

When the 2.0 update (or whatever it may be) finally is made available to the masses, what is going to happen to all the apps we already have on our phones under 1.4.5?

I ask because I'm about to buy a pretty pricey app (pricey for me, anyway), but I don't want it to be rendered useless "in the coming months".

Thanks for any info!
    I'm PRETTY sure webOS 2.0 is just like another OTA update...everything should work fine..I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    It should work fine, or be updated to work with 2.x

You should contact the developer for that app and ask them about 2.x compatibility, just to be sure.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    If all the apps don't work in 2.0; there is going to be trouble for HP. Just a guess.

The trouble may not be financial but it could seriously damage their reputation.

I don't think it should be on each user to contact each developer. This should be on HP/Palm.
    Dan
    WebOS 2 has some feature changes that cause interference with certain unmodified pre-2 apps. BUT, any developer with a for-sale app should have gotten into the beta sdk months ago, and already coded and released a bugfix for any issues.

I did that for Scratch months ago; when webOS 2 comes out, I'll release another app update to take advantage of some of the brand new features. (My other apps have been checked as well.)
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it.

When the 2.0 update (or whatever it may be) finally is made available to the masses, what is going to happen to all the apps we already have on our phones under 1.4.5?

I ask because I'm about to buy a pretty pricey app (pricey for me, anyway), but I don't want it to be rendered useless "in the coming months".

Thanks for any info!
    Same as all the other updates we've had.... pretty much nothing. I've had very few issues with apps. Patches, now that's a different story. Some will work, some will need to be updated, if the developer still supports it. (many have left for larger, not greener, pastures.)
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    If all the apps don't work in 2.0; there is going to be trouble for HP. Just a guess.

The trouble may not be financial but it could seriously damage their reputation.

I don't think it should be on each user to contact each developer. This should be on HP/Palm.
    Very little of what you posted has any basis in reality - don't jump to conclusions.

...very few, if any, apps have been broken by an OS update.
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    Just hoping Asphalt 5 doesn't end up broken for months again!
    Apps should work fine. What will not work is 2.0 apps on 1.4.5.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Here's one. Chapura pocketmirror. Pricey,
    & confirmed not yet 2.x ready. According to Derek (Palmcast), Chapura isn't a early-adopter partner or whatever you need to be to have the SDK currently. Here's hoping it's on somebody's radar @ HP. Chapura is aware (I asked).

That said: I've disabled the OS auto updater until this gets confirmed as fixed -- I need my data and can't risk being the victim of an oversight if one happens.

That said: I honestly think HP is about to usher in a better era for us WebOS folk.
    Last edited by cmahy; 02/03/2011 at 05:42 PM.
    I'm gonna go on the assumption that if it works for the Pre 2, it will work on any webOS device with 2.0. Just ask a Pre 2 owner who has the app to check for you.
    The SportsCalendar dev mentioned that apps aren't able to put events in the calendar in 2.0 a few months back.

Now, I don't know if that's changed, or if the apps just need to be updated to use a new method because of the newer Synergy hooks, but that means that my usage of Flightview, Flixster, SportsCalendar, and maybe a couple others will have to change.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    WHAT? Chapura is not yet compatible with WebOS 2.0? OMG ... I use this for work everyday.

Anybody know an easy way to block WebOS 2.0 until Chapura is ready? The last 1.4.5 revision automatically installed before I could remove patches/themes. This messed my phone.

Thanks,
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    It should work fine, or be updated to work with 2.x

You should contact the developer for that app and ask them about 2.x compatibility, just to be sure.
    Some developers have abandoned their apps and don't respond to emails. Hopefully HP will eliminate those apps that don't work from the 2.x app catalog.
    It seems like devs have had 2.x for longer than most updates, so worrying about if this app will update (especially if it is pricey) should be a shoo-in for the update.

My Themes:CLICK HERE