Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have just over one week in the WebOS 2 pre installed on my Palm. Time in which I can make some comments on its operation.

You know: the stack of cards, a good thing. Multi-tasking makes it real. Flash format files can now be seen without problems. Universal search is simply wonderful. The excellent exhibition mode. But that is something that has already been said.

* What is not said is that the device (not pre2) becomes very slow with the new WebOS. The operating system is heavy and of course, not having even a new kernel for this release in the Pre we have to run the machine at 500 MHz This means that some applications are heavy and even answer the phone sometimes turns geneal quite slow. I can award it to this case was used to running my Pre 800MHz and now feel I have a turtle:? .

* The virtual keyboard is a wonder though, freezes the device by the poverty of resources in the RAM. Another detail is that keyboard to turn have to install a patch (already available in Preware) and then do the same movement of virtual dock activation (ie below the gesture area up). So once you have installed the patch for the keyboard and can not use the dock. That for me was the reason that best descactivé. Of course, without having to reboot my Pre because at the time of writing suddenly froze. In this case I think it is more RAM can be solved and if a developer wait until you have found another way to activate it than not using the dock.

* A range of applications still are not fully compatible and show clumsy when trying to power them. For those who used the old Classic apliaciones running the PalmOS, could go say goodbye, because the Classic definitely not running.

* Sometimes the handling of mail may also become clumsy. A bug is already reported and HP already corrected in version 2.0.1

* You can install music from a third party application such as iTunes. At least not yet, which to me is a huge bug because I manage my music from iTunes and now you have to upload your songs as USB mode. In other words, old-school.

* On the navigation is very good indeed, but some cons that I've found is you can not add pages to the initiator and the time does not permit me or add bookmarks. I'll have to see if you need to activate something.

* The message appears again: "Its too open cards" when the RAM is over, but more is an open apliacación. Of course, this only occurs when running a heavy application, otherwise it keeps open between 15 and 20 applications (of course no one has this need me to open five and that much because I'm using). However, I am sure that with a "overclock" would be luxury.

In short, these are some of the details that I found the new HP WebOS. See if in the course of the new versions correct all these details. I am also convinced that with a new kernel many errors can be resolved.
    What device are you running, if not pre2? I'm guessing a pre+, if you have 15+ apps open at one time.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get webos 2.0 on your device?

Also, what nationality are you? Not trying to be rude, I'm just curious.

How does flash run? Is it smooth?
    Do you miss the ability to zoom out and rearrange cards or is the stacks functionality able to replace the need for this?
    There is a reason why it's running so poorly on the OP's phone. You'll need to wait for Palm to officially release the update to see how well it actually runs...

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    There is a reason why it's running so poorly on the OP's phone. You'll need to wait for Palm to officially release the update to see how well it actually runs...

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Yeah wait for official release from HP, I will give another 2 to 3 months. And wait for Verizon to finally release to their Pre Plus user, that's like another 2 to 3 months after that. I gave up on webOS 2.0+ on my Pre Plus long time ago.
    I just ordered the Pre 2 and look forward tochecking out 2.0.

one concern I have with flash is that it's not crippled. True flash would alleviate the need for some multi-media apps.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I installed 2.0.1 on my sprint pre minus yesterday (I believe it is. It has voice control, exhibition, but the version says hp webos nova-barleywine). I have found it to be very smooth between transitions and scrolling, however, opening apps is slow usually. I alleviated the issue a little by setting logging to minimal (Open phone app, type ##logs#, go to change logging levels, then click set logging to minimal) I believe this version may purposefully step logging up, as it is a pre-release version. Also, I installed govnah and set the speed at userspace 600mhz. That is the highest you can "overclock" without an updated kernel. With these small improvements the OS is slightly snappier, enough to make it plenty usable for the time being, but I miss the 800 and 1000 mhz overclock i was used to in 1.4.5.
    it still feels much smoother than the previous versions. the transitions are much smoother. launcher rows and overclocking is something to be missed. but generally it feels snappy even for running at 600mhz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhines77 View Post
    I installed 2.0.1 on my sprint pre minus yesterday (I believe it is. It has voice control, exhibition, but the version says hp webos nova-barleywine). I have found it to be very smooth between transitions and scrolling, however, opening apps is slow usually. I alleviated the issue a little by setting logging to minimal (Open phone app, type ##logs#, go to change logging levels, then click set logging to minimal) I believe this version may purposefully step logging up, as it is a pre-release version. Also, I installed govnah and set the speed at userspace 600mhz. That is the highest you can "overclock" without an updated kernel. With these small improvements the OS is slightly snappier, enough to make it plenty usable for the time being, but I miss the 800 and 1000 mhz overclock i was used to in 1.4.5.
    Version 2 on your sprint pre? I thought it wasn't out yet? I'm guessing you're a developer then?
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    these reports have me a bit worried on how the pixi will handle 2.0 hopefully 2.1.0 will take care of the sluggishness reported
    I also have 2.0 on my sprint pre, and I couldnt love it more. The only thing I wish was possible was signing into my old profile but at least the contacts transferred. I think its pretty sweet too
    I got webos 2.0 through a link an insider sent me. And WOW. It is simply amazing. It almost feels like a new phone. Cant wait for the real completed version and hopefully the devs will get some overclock for 2.0 soon. I will post some pics soon.

I am going to save the mods some trouble. I will not give the link out. Do not ask for it.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Here's a question. I want you to open your mind and relax. Ok now ask yourself:

Why can nobody make an operating system that can run normal everyday tasks quickly, speedily even, on available hardware?

Yes, sometimes we will play games, sometimes we need to number crunch, maybe someone wants to compile on their phone, but normally we turn it on and we tweet, we text, we make a phone call, we browse the web, we stream a video, or we take a picture. For >90% of my use, i just want the phone to respond to a tap immediately. I tap on an element like the top right of the screen, it should show immediately. I go into card mode and switch to another app. It should change the priority of the apps and go right into the one I want to use. I would forgo fancy graphics if this was snappy. Multitasking is only good if it makes you faster, not if it boggs down.

Here to webOS 2.x. May you be lighter, faster, and more robust. (if only)
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    <<Threads merged>>
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    It is, trust me
    **Moderator Note**
    Any more sharing of links to illegal files will cause us to start shutting these threads down. Please do not post links or share files on the P|C site.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    It is, trust me
    It is what? Lighter, faster, more robust? I can believe that it might be, but I'm a little concerned since they released it on a more powerful phone first. But they were able to make some adjustments to webOS when they released the Pixi--sometimes the Pixi can feel just as fast as the Pre, even though it isn't. Let's hope they're able to adjust 2.0 to operate well with just half the processor power of the Pre2.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  18.    #18  
    Indeed, I do not deny that while the practice of Pre WebOS 2.0 is a "normal"(no not Pre plus 2) the experience is simply wonderful. Observations is that the operating system mejorte. And I'm sure it will.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    **Moderator Note**
    Any more sharing of links to illegal files will cause us to start shutting these threads down. Please do not post links or share files on the P|C site.

Thanks
    Sorry, thanks for the note.
    Quote Originally Posted by despinova View Post
    Indeed, I do not deny that while the practice of Pre WebOS 2.0 is a "normal"(no not Pre plus 2) the experience is simply wonderful. Observations is that the operating system mejorte. And I'm sure it will.
    mejorte = best?

I think what you're saying is: Even though it's on a normal Pre, the webOS 2.0 experience is simply wonderful. The OS is the best.

Is that about right?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast