Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was wondering since the Superbowl is on Feb 6 would HP put a teaser commercial in. Something simple like showing the line of old Palm Treo phones, then the Pre/Pixi, then with them (Pre/Pixi) getting sacked (bought by HP), and finally it's resurrection on Feb 9 (with a weblink). All this with some sport commentary added in. Sounds a little corny but considering that the Superbowl IS one of the most watched events along with it's commercials....could work.
    It would be a smart move on their part if they did . Maybe they are smart ?!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷ๘ุṫ-Ŧḯุη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    This would be nice to see. Unfortunately though, it's about all they could do for the SB with regard to webOS without making the 9th announcement a moot point.
    A teaser spot would be great.... a la the original Droid.

My guess is that HP doesn't think it necessary to put money into one ad when they could put the same amount into several ads and spread them out.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Those spots were booked a long time ago, even if they wanted to do one its way too late.

Busch, for example, just locked in SB ad time going all the way to 2014.

But here's the ad i would do: fade in... you see, in glorioius B&W, a guy in coveralls running with the sledgehammer towards the movie screen. Cut to somebody that cant get there *&^%!@ I-phone to do what they want - frustrated she tosses it away. Coverall-guy steps on and slips and trips over the I-phone and breaks his neck while the sledgehammer crushes the I-phone on the way down.

Cut to full color shot of everybody at the funeral of the sledghammer guy, happily being connected and multitasking on their new HP/Palm smartphones and tablets
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Those spots were booked a long time ago, even if they wanted to do one its way too late.

WOW.....didnt know that the ads were bought that far in advance! Still....they have the money to sneak in there. 4 commercial spots (1 a qtr) to @ least get the word out. Then follow up the next days until the unveiling with silhouettes would be nice. Just to give that added suspense.
    Hp likes the spotlight for themselves.. So I dunno how many phones/tablet commercials wil be there.. But it may be a deciding factor

Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post

But here's the ad i would do: fade in... you see, in glorioius B&W, a guy in coveralls running with the sledgehammer towards the movie screen. Cut to somebody that cant get there *&^%!@ I-phone to do what they want - frustrated she tosses it away. Coverall-guy steps on and slips and trips over the I-phone and breaks his neck while the sledgehammer crushes the I-phone on the way down.

Cut to full color shot of everybody at the funeral of the sledghammer guy, happily being connected and multitasking on their new HP/Palm smartphones and tablets
    A little gory/gruesome, don't ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    A little gory/gruesome, don't ya think?

Would be a great way to show off the great graphics of the new devices! and the people in the ad could tap to share the video of the death of Apple-Man!
    If the Superbowl was after Feb. 9th, I would say yes. But because they won't be able to reveal any details about the products on Feb. 6th, I don't think it's a good idea.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    It could work, it would be a concept/teaser. Do a take on the 98 pound weakling getting sand kicked in his face (or being pushed around by the football jocks). Cut to the Palm character bulking up. Show the shadow of a muscle-bound Palm character and cut to a screen showing: coming February 9th.

Then of course follow up with ads after the announcement on the 9th. If they are going to hold true to their word, some product will be available withing a few weeks after the 9th.

They need to insert themselves into the public discussion right now. Setting the tone that they are bigger and better, the new WebOS, can't be done soon enough if they are about a month away from shipping new product.

I agree with much of the above, but job one has to be to erase the bitter taste out of the mouth of many who had hope for the platform 2 years ago but were disappointed by the execution. Otherwise, any announcement of new product will be met with skepticism.

C
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    It could work, it would be a concept/teaser. Do a take on the 98 pound weakling getting sand kicked in his face (or being pushed around by the football jocks). Cut to the Palm character bulking up. Show the shadow of a muscle-bound Palm character and cut to a screen showing: coming February 9th.

Then of couse follow up with ads after the announcement on the 9th. If they are going to hold true to their word, some product will be available withing a few weeks after the 9th.

They need to insert themselves into the public discussion right now. Setting the tone that they are bigger and better, the new WebOS, can't be done soon enough if they are about a month away from shipping new product.

C
    That's what I'm talking about. I mean c'mon...HP is already teasing us via the internet. Just take it one step closer with a 3-4 day tv ad campaign. It would work. Also if they are really sure WebOS is in HP's future a 3-4 day tv ad campaign will go a long way to get some potential customers to bite.
    Generally, when you ask if a given company should buy a commercial spot during the Superbowl, the answer is yes.
    yeah, that's a no-brainer.
    With the Steelers bidding for their History making 7th superbowl it is the right time to have an ad that is for sure !!

ĦṔ-Ḷ๘ุṫ-Ŧḯุη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I think it's an excellent idea. Even just to get the message out there and perhaps build some hype. A lot of eyeballs watch the superbowl. Like Leo said, they want to sit at the "cool kids table". This quote from their blog may provide a hint to their intentions:

Are you ready for some football? More specifically, are you ready to answer the question “What would Brett Favre do with webOS?” The folks behind @sportsliveapps and @anotherguy are offering up a $100 NFLshop.com gift card to one lucky winner brave enough to submit an answer to that question.

The Official HP Palm Blog
    And they should hire the former "Dell Dude".... I'm gettin' a Palm!
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    ...My guess is that HP doesn't think it necessary to put money into one ad when they could put the same amount into several ads and spread them out.
    That is exactly what a old fortune 500 company would do. However, Leo says he wants everyone to think of HP as "cool". You can't make logical, rational business decisions and at the same time look cool. HP will have to do more then come out with good products to seem cool. HP certainly has the money and with the Sprint Announcement coming February 7th and the iPhone being released on Verizon on February 10th I think it would be smart of HP to win back some of the attention that they wanted.
    Nothing gets more eyeballs per dollar than a superbowl ad.
    I think a teaser ad would be good if they're going to be able to follow it up the following week with more details. It needs to be part of a launch campaign that is consumer driven.

Frankly, I think HP isn't going to unveil anything revolutionary in the consumer space and that they'll work the corporate angle first. Unless they are just selling a better iPhone/iPad and cheaper, I don't see what ecosystem they could have built to warrant a Superbowl spot.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast