01/27/2011, 08:35 AM
Dateline February 9, 2012 - After the 2012 introduction of the palmWatch, HP combines flexible and transparent OLED displays to bring wearable computing to the next (and less nerdy) level by integrating Kinect-like detection and continuous 3D augmented reality overlays and redEye v.1 video streaming into a paired set of fashionable sunglasses, making the first not-stupid Palm Pre commercial (
) a reality.
The "HP webVisor" is a virtual visual interface and companion device to the WebOS Touch-line of connected screen-based devices, linked through next-gen Touchstone docking technology (highspeed Bluetooth v.4 wireless connection for visual streaming codenamed "redEye v.1").
The "HP webVisor Prime" specs include:
- OLED visual overlay creates 180 degree virtual display
- integrated camera
- integrated PrimeSense (Kinect-like tech) gesture tracking
- integrated GPS, accelerometer and eCompass
- "beats" (by Dr. Dre) speaker-less bone conduction stereo sound
- clear or polarized lenses
- integrated stereo noise-cancelling microphones
- integrated 3D GPU
Normal "desktop" visual modes include:
1. "Visor" - full augmented reality mode, uses Synergy to project tags (time and geo-based notifications, contact markers on Latitude position or home addresses, stores selling sync'ed saved Shopping list items) Also known as "Terminator view".
2. "Panels" (see YouTube link above) - life-sized Cards projected directly in a virtual semi-circle in front of user. Flat-surface detection option can also autodetect flat vertical surfaces such as walls and display Panels in 2D as if from a digital projector.
Application data can be opened singly, or have elements integrated into the Visor mode after being expanded from Panel mode. Configurable multigesture hand movements can be used as with multitouch gestures on a Touch device.
- "LifeStream" continual recording when the webVisor autodetects it is being worn. Video stream is uploaded to HP's gigabytes of cloud storage. Multitouch controls permit you to timeshift your life (i.e. pause, rewind). Caution: lifeshifting features not recommended while operating heavy machinery and skateboards.
- "Predator" - major criminal databases can be linked to Synergy and danger zones displayed in Visor mode. Facial recognition software can upload selected still photos to INTERPOL for processing.
- "Contacts" - Simple contact creation using voice and camera: place yourself face-to-face with your new contact and speak : "Contact creation: June Smith, 555-1234" and a new contact will be created with profile picture, name and phone number and GPS location used as default work address.
- "Virtual Acupoints" - Infrared body tracking and recognition (
) project acupuncture schemas on (approximately) correct body parts. Just speak the ailment and insert needles on points marked "X".
- "Walkers" - You see dead (and decaying) people. You can't shoot them unless you use in-app purchases to obtain firearms.
- "Shorthand" - Sign Language alphabet and gestures are translated real-time into text input. Can also be configured to recognize user drawing large letters in the air with a finger.
Dateline February 2013 - App Catalog flooded with "iBeerGoggle" apps, which use Elite Modeling Agency APIs to overlay supermodel faces (and body parts in the adult section) onto people in your everyday life. A modified version of this app helps public speakers gain confidence by giving the ability to visualize everyone in their underwear.