Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Hello,

We have guest wifi network at work which we are encouraged to use for our personal browsing/smartphone purposes. Its great since I can connect and browse the web without problems. Google mail notifications/google mail app work perfectly. However, google chat never connects. It tries to sign in, seems to time out and then ends up as offline status.

I have tried restarting, removing my google account, even got a new phone unit. No change and I am always google talk offline when on the corporate guest wifi network.

Any idea what I can try next?

TIA!
    Quote Originally Posted by veerar View Post
    Hello,

We have guest wifi network at work which we are encouraged to use for our personal browsing/smartphone purposes. Its great since I can connect and browse the web without problems. Google mail notifications/google mail app work perfectly. However, google chat never connects. It tries to sign in, seems to time out and then ends up as offline status.

I have tried restarting, removing my google account, even got a new phone unit. No change and I am always google talk offline when on the corporate guest wifi network.

Any idea what I can try next?

TIA!
    It sounds like they block the Google Talk port, which means you can't do anything but beg your company's IT department to unblock the GTalk port.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Can you give the Google Talk port no? Then I can send them a request.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by veerar View Post
    Can you give the Google Talk port no? Then I can send them a request.

Thanks!
    Here ya go. It is possible they're just flat out blocking access to talk.google.com as well, which a lot of companies do.

Required ports to use Google Talk - Google Talk Help
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup