Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    it would? You know the whole example of the phone recognizing where you are and that you are not going to get to your meeting on time. At that point is was going to ask you if you wanted to email the attendees a template "I am running late" email?

I mean seriously why cant my phone recognize that it is 5pm and that I am leaving work like every other day and ask if I want to launch the navigation app that looks at the route I drive every time and alerts me to of any traffic jams?

It should be pretty easy to do, at 5pm when I am pulling out of the parking lot the phone recognizes that I am going a speed too fast for a human to reach on their own so a pop up asks where I am going. It gives a couple of common destinations as well as a button for "type new destination". I would then pick the "home" button option and it would look at the route from A to B and see if there were any traffic jams and if so suggest alternate routes. At the same time it would ask if I would like to listen to music on my drive and give me options to selecting my app oc choice or listening to files stored locally on the device.

This is the type of stuff I got excited for when McNamee was first talking up the Pre... are we still a few years away from something like this?
    Joe Dirt: Well, I see you got those snakes and sparklers. But where's the good stuff man?
    Kicking Wing: Good stuff? This is the good stuff, snakes and sparklers.
    Joe Dirt: Are you nuts dude? You need stuff that'll explode. Go *boom*!
    Kicking Wing: Why is that good?
    Joe Dirt: Well, huh, might as, might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good?
    There is an app in Preware called Mode Switcher that can do exactly that, once you set it up.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    You remember when McNamara said that our phones would automatically forward an email saying we were late and on our way, also giving our ETA or giving an option to call the phone for a teleconference?

Haven't seen it yet. Yah, that sucks.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    and unfortunately that's the difference between an investor and an engineer.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    and unfortunately that's the difference between an investor and an engineer.
    I'm an engineer. and This. Times a million.
    While some say the glass is half full and others say it's half empty. The engineer is certain the glass it twice the size it needs to be.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    these features sound like battery murderers... and you shouldn't be entering nav data while driving...
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    While some say the glass is half full and others say it's half empty. The engineer is certain the glass it twice the size it needs to be.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Definitely! Someone left a safety factor out of the pre construction tho

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    these features sound like battery murderers... and you shouldn't be entering nav data while driving...
    I think the idea is you are in a car so have power and the system is automatic so you don't enter nav data.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    i think this i'm late mail is opening when you have a appointment set up with attendees inside (exchange or google appointmment):[update] http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/na/...en.html#N10425. But this is not GPS based (you can nnot make it in time to the meeting location) but just the usual reminder pop-up with one more option.

but i'm with you with the fact that a phone could do much more of these typical action-recommendations. Could also think of some and it shouldn't need "Mode Switcher" or "Geo Strings" (which both are cool) cause i also hoped these were integrated into webOS cause of the buzz they were making about it.

btw. this was the non-official hype about this feature:

"And when you're late -- get this -- when you're late it -- remember, this things has GPS, it has a clock, and it has your calendar. So it not only knows where you are, it knows where you're supposed to be and when; and so when it realizes you're going to be late, it says "Hey, not only are you going to be late, but I can take care of it for you. I'll send an email to your assistant or to the people in the meeting, which would you prefer? And oh, by the way, here's the map." This is the beginning of a new wave." [http://www.precentral.net/new-featur...lendar-context]
    Last edited by gizmo21; 01/24/2011 at 01:47 AM.
    I do wish it were a bit more intuitive. One thing I would love to see is auto fall back to evdo/cell data as a preference. I leave my wifi on (battery isn't an issue) but sometimes get latched onto bad wifi spots in the city. It isn't until I try going to a web site that I realize it. I wish the phone could realize it isn't connecting and auto fall back to cell for data.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    i think this i'm late mail is opening when you have a appointment set up with attendees inside (exchange or google appointmment):[update] Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Using the Calendar. But this is not GPS based (you can nnot make it in time to the meeting location) but just the usual reminder pop-up with one more option.

but i'm with you with the fact that a phone could do much more of these typical action-recommendations. Could also think of some and it shouldn't need "Mode Switcher" or "Geo Strings" (which both are cool) cause i also hoped these were integrated into webOS cause of the buzz they were making about it.

btw. this was the non-official hype about this feature:

"And when you're late -- get this -- when you're late it -- remember, this things has GPS, it has a clock, and it has your calendar. So it not only knows where you are, it knows where you're supposed to be and when; and so when it realizes you're going to be late, it says "Hey, not only are you going to be late, but I can take care of it for you. I'll send an email to your assistant or to the people in the meeting, which would you prefer? And oh, by the way, here's the map." This is the beginning of a new wave." [New Features to the Pre: Oops I'm late and Automatic Calendar Context | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community]
    That's the reason I bought the Pre, that quote, believe it or not. I got hooked with off-the-cuff hype. NEWAY Once bitten...
    This line of discussion is actually a big part of where they came up with the name for the Pre. The idea was that it would be a step ahead of you and anticipate your actions before (pre) you could tell it. If you think about Just Type (previously universal search), card view, etc... it starts to it together... although it's still a stupid name for a phone. (IMHO)
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Be fair, Roger did say that women would dig the mirror on the back of the Pre as they could fix their make-up in it and I've never seen anyone say that's not true.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Be fair, Roger did say that women would dig the mirror on the back of the Pre as they could fix their make-up in it and I've never seen anyone say that's not true.
    If I'd used that mirror to do my make-up, I'd have been in trouble. That thing was awful!

Sent from my eVo
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Hah - Ok, so it's not true!
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Hah - Ok, so it's not true!
    LMAO!

Sent from my eVo
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I agree with the OP. The impression he gave before launch was that the PIM software would be so sophisticated it would anticipate your needs, yet it still can't even search the calendar or create a recurring task or any number of basic things. Roger was definitely blowing smoke (or inhaling it.)
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    People look at the capabilities of the hardware - connectivity, GPS, etc. - and are willing to assume or believe that the software will just appear. It's the same thing people are saying about HP, even on Engadget. Somehow, they assume that HP will suddenly turn into this great software company that will seamlessly connect all webOS devices. The reality is usually a lot more slow, buggy, gimmicky and seamful.
    This thread is about what Palm was boasting the software WOULD do almost two years ago, and how far short of that it still is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    This line of discussion is actually a big part of where they came up with the name for the Pre. The idea was that it would be a step ahead of you and anticipate your actions before (pre) you could tell it. If you think about Just Type (previously universal search), card view, etc... it starts to it together... although it's still a stupid name for a phone. (IMHO)
    Well you said it "the idea WAS". What they implemented today IS:
    • if a user defined reminder goes of, i can press a button to open a prefilled email saying i will be late (and this not with the Palm Profile but only in google/exchange calendar and i can not add attendees by editing the event in webos)

Can anyone tell one thing where it predicts my wishes?
    Well if Just Type and Quick Actions will act like advertised i will count that into that category.

Examples to implement:
    • Notificationquestion to open app at specific gps position (shopping app when longer then 5min at a perhaps pre defined store, "Fuel" app if longer that 3min at a gasstation, open up calendar at my dentist, hairdresser...)
    • these could be done less annyoing (even if pre notifications are very well handlble) if the cases mentioned above would not ask but if i open the launcher specific predicted apps are listed on top.
    • same with "speed higher than" mentioned in the other posting ... (ask to launch or present in launcher with first displaying mapping/routing apps).
    • propose wikientry of a geolocation-linked entry when photografing a interessing monument, mountain, what ever....
    • it can't even launch the weather app every morning (or when i take the pre of the touchstone in the morning): ok this could now be done with exhibition mode kind of. --> now i found a simple cron-like app SchedMyPhone
    • calendar entries where apps can be launched at start of the event (even if that was the be pre-thinked by myself):
      Business Meeting to open up calendar, Presentationediting if avail , sykpe if avail
      Doctorappointment to open up musicplayer and webbrowser for the waiting room and calendar in monthview for possible next appointment
    • if bluetooth recognises my ad2p-headset or adapter ask if i want to launch music app or telephone app
    • if an alert sms/email of my server arrives: launch a alert, a servermonitoring or vnc or teamviewer (if it would be avail )-app (would also just be predefined through subject and sender and not pre-thinking, well but you get the point)
      btw HP please bring your server software to webOS: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...iness-app.html

I would find more examples - perhaps i collect some more over the time and post it in the Palm suggestions form again, even if this is frustating without any reply to it. ---> they should really ask their customers.

Of course all these actions should made optional (disable possible).

And i know much of this is made possible through 3rd party apps, but if Palm whats to be unique and advertises a pre thinking phone (well at least they did years ago), these functions have to be build in webOS.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast