Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As much I imagine how awesome it would be to have a webos on a tablet I think there is one big issue that needs to be addressed.

I don't know about everyone else but i'm sure I will want to listen to music while multitasking and doing other things on my tablet, but I just can't deal with having a card always open for the music player application...so I have come up with an idea that I think would be great and I hope HP does this or something similar.

*before reading on please familiarize yourself with what is a banner notification and what is a dashboard notification.

Webos should allow us to flick down a card, when in card view that will basically minimize the card into a banner notification icon, and basically have the music player run in the background. Now you have music playing without having a card for the music app cluttering your screen. The little icon will always remain at the bottom. If you want to change songs or do whatever... you can click on the banner icon, which will then expand it to a dashboard notification, that has all the controls you need on it (webos already does this)...then you can either swipe the dashboard icon off the screen, or do a back swipe in the gesture area to minimize it back to a banner notification (webos already does this)... or If you want to go back into the main application or maximize it into card view you click on the dashboard notification.

This allows us to have applications running in the background, so it does not clutter the screen with a lot of cards, but also makes it so we always know what applications are running in the background via the banner notification area.

What do you guys think?
    Music Player 2.0 (Remix).......check it out

edit: it's in Preware and has that capability built in.
    and ya I know, it's not for a tablet, it's for the Pre, but for the amount of time DanPLC has invested in that app, and he is working on a webOS 2.x version, I'm sure he'll make a tablet version as well, that incorporates that as well.
    Last edited by sledge007; 01/22/2011 at 02:41 PM.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    As much I imagine how awesome it would be to have a webos on a tablet I think there is one big issue that needs to be addressed.

I don't know about everyone else but i'm sure I will want to listen to music while multitasking and doing other things on my tablet, but I just can't deal with having a card always open for the music player application...so I have come up with an idea that I think would be great and I hope HP does this or something similar.

*before reading on please familiarize yourself with what is a banner notification and what is a dashboard notification.

Webos should allow us to flick down a card, when in card view that will basically minimize the card into a banner notification icon, and basically have the music player run in the background. Now you have music playing without having a card for the music app cluttering your screen. The little icon will always remain at the bottom. If you want to change songs or do whatever... you can click on the banner icon, which will then expand it to a dashboard notification, that has all the controls you need on it (webos already does this)...then you can either swipe the dashboard icon off the screen, or do a back swipe in the gesture area to minimize it back to a banner notification (webos already does this)... or If you want to go back into the main application or maximize it into card view you click on the dashboard notification.

This allows us to have applications running in the background, so it does not clutter the screen with a lot of cards, but also makes it so we always know what applications are running in the background via the banner notification area.

What do you guys think?

Im honestly a big fan of widgets. makes me sad that webos wont have these. but your idea sounds good.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    ...or the app could stay open and in the dashboard when the card is flicked away, just like the hotspot app
    I like it
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Music Player 2.0 (Remix).......check it out

edit: it's in Preware and has that capability built in.
    and ya I know, it's not for a tablet, it's for the Pre, but for the amount of time DanPLC has invested in that app, and he is working on a webOS 2.x version, I'm sure he'll make a tablet version as well, that incorporates that as well.
    I do have this application on my phone, actually while playing with it is what helped me come up with my idea.

However I dont think there is anyway to get the card to be removed from card view, is there?
    I do have this application on my phone, actually while playing with it is what helped me come up with my idea.

However I dont think there is anyway to get the card to be removed from card view, is there?
    Its not a feature at the OS level, but there are already apps that have this functionality (or something similar). Neato exists in that area after the card is thrown away. There's a homebrew app that is used to quickly change the phones settings that uses the very gesture you suggested... i cant remember what its call tho...
    as does the app Clock-In. I think the ability is already there for what you are talking about, Maestro....but if a developer doesn't write their app to incorporate it, then there lies the problem. I forgot about Neato! as well, which is pretty neat
    Last edited by sledge007; 01/22/2011 at 04:27 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for the responses didn't know that there where many apps that did something like this...however i still think it would be cool to have the flick down feature for all apps regardless if the developer writes a code to allow their app to do something similar.

On another note do you guys think that HP should develop a really nice media player application that is specifically designed for a tablet...for music and videos and etc??? I don't like the existing stock music and video apps; while music remix is nice it is only available via preware, and I think something should be there out the box that is really intuitive and pleasant to use.

(an example I would use is when Microsoft developed their windows media center available on some versions of windows...yeah windows media player could play everything...but media center was a nice looking intuitive way to organize and and enjoy all your media, including music, movies, and pictures.)
    i'd rather have the card open than loose the screen real estate to a semi-perminant banner. Besides i want down swipe for locking/pining cards open.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    i'd rather have the card open than loose the screen real estate to a semi-perminant banner. Besides i want down swipe for locking/pining cards open.
    what about all the screen real estate your loosing with the card open, even thought that would be in card view and not when you have other apps maximized. I hate having a bunch of cards open.

The banner notification is the small little icon and scrolling text at the bottom of the screen, not really a loss of screen real-estate like the dashboard notification. I actually hope they would make a small little line that is dedicated to banner notifcations... they are cool, i love how they scroll across the screen kindof like a stock ticker.....obviously if they do they have to incorporate banner notfications more into the OS and apps.
    nobody knows at the moment how many new things are in the os for the pad.
    If you look at the first renders there is already one difference (search icon in notification area always showing)

For the phone i do not need widgets, because the screen is small and there is no real need for it.

With the enyo framework, which is able to show one card in different ways i believe that we will be able to show a few cards at the same time. (left / right)
    Maybe we will be able to put some cards into a quick action mode.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts

Music Player (Remix) DOES have this feature -it's a small " - " icon on the top bar of the app. If you click this, it removes the card from view & only runs thru the banners/notification.
    what about all the screen real estate your loosing with the card open, even thought that would be in card view and not when you have other apps maximized. I hate having a bunch of cards open.

The banner notification is the small little icon and scrolling text at the bottom of the screen, not really a loss of screen real-estate like the dashboard notification. I actually hope they would make a small little line that is dedicated to banner notifcations... they are cool, i love how they scroll across the screen kindof like a stock ticker.....obviously if they do they have to incorporate banner notfications more into the OS and apps.
    Yeah i forgot that icon disappears when apps are open. I still would rather have a downswipe lock cards so they can't be thrown away.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I like this idea. The down swipe sounds very inuitive.

I think the reason that few apps do backgrounding currently is that it can only be done in C. The new framework will allow backgrounding to be written for Node (Javascript) so we'll probably see it used a lot more.
    On another note do you guys think that HP should develop a really nice media player application that is specifically designed for a tablet...for music and videos and etc??? I don't like the existing stock music and video apps; while music remix is nice it is only available via preware, and I think something should be there out the box that is really intuitive and pleasant to use.
    Outta the box would be nice but remix will be available in the catalog as soon as the 2.x SDK gets publicly release or 2.x is pushed to existing devices or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by licotto View Post
    Music Player (Remix) DOES have this feature -it's a small " - " icon on the top bar of the app. If you click this, it removes the card from view & only runs thru the banners/notification.
    Yuuuuuuuuup.
    I would love it if all music apps could do that by default. I was delighted when the last update to Grooveshark not only added a dashboard, but also allowed you to just throw away the app card and still listen to music. Too bad Pandora and the built-in music player don't also do this.
    As others have mentioned, Music Player (Remix) has the ability to run without a card by using the minimize button (icon at the top-left corner of the Now Playing screen). The mini-player modules (customizable on the Preferences screen) will load into the notification area. It's useful for when you'd like to see your wallpaper or if you want to run in a super-lightweight (low memory) mode.

The webOS 2.x compatible version is complete and is in the hands of a select few beta testers. There have been a bunch of new features, enhancements, and lots of bug fixes added that have not made it back into the public beta. As I wait for the release, I keep adding more and more things. I'll talk about them some more when I actually release the app.

And yes, I will work on a tablet version. I already have some ideas sketched out to take advantage of the expanded screen real estate. I'm excited about it...it's going to be the best way to listen to music at home or on the go.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    So you would like Windows on your phone is what you basically want?

My Themes:CLICK HERE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast