Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ben Marolt
  1. LWI
    Hello everyone,

I could not find any reference to the MAXIMUM quantity of phone numbers one can enter into the same contact card.

I have now eleven so far, but I'm wondering if there is a maximum.

You will no doubt wonder why would anyone want to do this... In my case, here's the «reusable» idea.

My home voice mail (Telco service) allows for an outbound call to a single number when a voice mail is received. So I entered in the system the phone number corresponding to my PRE. So, when I'm away, I can be advised quickly of any voicemail received.

However, the voicemail server uses many different outgoing lines to place those calls. My goal is to use the caller id feature of the PALM to know at a glace the this is not a call, but a voice mail flag.
    So far, after each flag received, if the caller id is new, I simply add the number to this contact card named «home voice mail».

At some point I may have to create a second card e.g. «home voice mail-2».

I was curious to know what this limit is....

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks

LWI
    Well, I have a contact that I have assigned over 200 numbers to. Its an annoying tele-marketer that "disguises" their number everytime they call. I added every possible combo as a phone number (06036690, 06036691, 06036692.......) just so I could block their call. A little bit of a pain to set up, but totally worth it to not be harassed anymore.

Anyway, long answer just to tell you that it doesn't seem like there is a limit. And, fyi, its a google contact and all 200+ numbers synced there too.

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
  3. LWI
    Quote Originally Posted by prolongexistence View Post
    Well, I have a contact that I have assigned over 200 numbers to. Its an annoying tele-marketer that "disguises" their number everytime they call. I added every possible combo as a phone number (06036690, 06036691, 06036692.......) just so I could block their call. A little bit of a pain to set up, but totally worth it to not be harassed anymore.

Anyway, long answer just to tell you that it doesn't seem like there is a limit. And, fyi, its a google contact and all 200+ numbers synced there too.
    Thanks prolongexistence, answer appreciated.
    LWI
    Global Posts
    783 Global Posts
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    From looking at the database structure, I don't believe there is a limit, other than how big th database can become.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
    Thanks but I'm already on that list.

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    Sorry to necropost this thread from 3 1/2 years ago, but this thread came up when I googled "how many numbers can a single contact have in google contacts". I ended up testing myself and thought these results might be useful to others.

I have a vCard contact with 1000 AT&T email to SMS gateway numbers that silently failed to import to Google Contacts.
    Deleteing 800 lines of the vcf to leave 200 phone numbers on a single contact worked OK.
    I played high/low with the contact importer until I got to a successful import of a contact with 499 and a failed import of a contact with 500 phone numbers.

Attempting to add another phone number manually to a contact with 499 existing phone numbers results in a message "Failed to save your changes: Your quota has been exceeded." ( However, adding another contact with the same name and another 499 numbers works just fine, and a third contact with the same name and 2 phone numbers covered the whole range of numbers I wanted associated together. )
    Once I had the 3 contacts imported, I merged them for a 1000 number contact, but things started behaving strangely on the Google side at this point with only part of the list displaying and edits saving inconsistently, and I also noticed the limit appears to apply to total of numbers and email addresses. I presume other line item details are counted toward the 499 detail quota in a Google contact, too. I've attached a 3 contact vcf file (Remove the .txt from the end of the filename if you need to import this to your own Google contacts.)

TLDR: If you are syncing your contacts to Google, 500 or more phone numbers on the same contact is likely to cause problems, but you can get around it with multiple contacts with up to 499 numbers each.
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval
    Preemptive likes this.