Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    Anyone else intrigued by the invite graphic? Colorwise, it's a shift from webOS's green tones to HP's blues. Nothing big there. But what is that an image of?

    To my eyes it looks like a piece of bluish-tinted glass resting against a wall. You can clearly see that it casts a shadow. I hope I'm not reading too much into this, but anyone remotely involved with branding and marketing would know that these things, especially teasers, just don't happen by coincidence.

    Could it be that HP is hinting at something beyond that sheet of glass? I realize that it's probably way too early to have mass-marketed flexible displays, but maybe there is something that's ready to demo to generate some excitement and a ton of coverage.

    We've seen the CTO show off the flexible display. We've heard about the supposed rollout test with the army later this year. Maybe it's further along than HP is letting on.

    Or, maybe there's another explanation for that blue piece of glass. Anyone else want to chime in? I'd love to hear all the speculations and guesstimates!!
  2. #2  
    I hadn't been thinking of it like that. But now..... you've got the gears turning...........

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums


    My Themes:CLICK HERE
  3. #3  
    I thought it was a standard powerpoint background from MS-Office95...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I thought it was a standard powerpoint background from MS-Office95...
    Are you joking or being serious? I've never used MS-Office 95 so I have no idea. It'd weird for them to just take a standard powerpoint background for something like this...
  5. #5  
    Pics or it didn't happen!!!! ( I tried looking for said bluish-tinted glass and couldn't find it, so pics, or link please )
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    Are you joking or being serious? I've never used MS-Office 95 so I have no idea. It'd weird for them to just take a standard powerpoint background for something like this...
    Completely joking. I've been in one of those sarcastic moods today. I tried to think of something low-tech, obsolete, and totally lacking creativity to contrast with what is supposed to be HP announcements that represent a quantum leap over the cutting edge. Ya see what I did there?
  7. #7  
    I'm just not seeing it...

  8. #8  
    Really???? THAT was it??? LOL I'm going to venture that it's a nice looking background for the white lettering, otherwise you wouldn't see the white letters on the white background.....that reminds me of an old dbd thread
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I'm just not seeing it...

    I see what he's saying, just not what he's thinking.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  10. #11  
    Thanks for posting that pic, and now I do see the shadows you mention.....good eye

    Years ago, in my army days, I got posted to CFB Cold Lake. During that time there, I befriended some techs that operated the CF-18 flight simulator, and I ended up getting a 15 minute session in the real mccoy. Very cool experience, and probably something that wouldn't be allowed in this day and age. The heads-up display was nothing more (in my eyes) than a piece of plexiglass that had images displayed on it, (I can't remember what the method of delivery was, exactly or where the source of the display came from). It was at this point, sitting in the mock-cockpit, that I realized I could never fly one of these things for real, as I had to slouch down in order to view what was on the fixed display.

    GPS originated from the military and from a 1973 inception to 1995 full capability and 2000 real release to general public. It surprises me that something like this(HUD) isn't already mainstream. I've seen minor variations of HUD's in vehicles, usually just a small display with speed and that is all.

    Think Beyond.........think a display that you can see beyond(through)?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  11. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Thanks for posting that pic, and now I do see the shadows you mention.....good eye

    Years ago, in my army days, I got posted to CFB Cold Lake. During that time there, I befriended some techs that operated the CF-18 flight simulator, and I ended up getting a 15 minute session in the real mccoy. Very cool experience, and probably something that wouldn't be allowed in this day and age. The heads-up display was nothing more (in my eyes) than a piece of plexiglass that had images displayed on it, (I can't remember what the method of delivery was, exactly or where the source of the display came from). It was at this point, sitting in the mock-cockpit, that I realized I could never fly one of these things for real, as I had to slouch down in order to view what was on the fixed display.

    GPS originated from the military and from a 1973 inception to 1995 full capability and 2000 real release to general public. It surprises me that something like this(HUD) isn't already mainstream. I've seen minor variations of HUD's in vehicles, usually just a small display with speed and that is all.

    Think Beyond.........think a display that you can see beyond(through)?
    I didn't read your post, I don't want to be killed for it

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  12. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    The heads-up display was nothing more (in my eyes) than a piece of plexiglass that had images displayed on it, (I can't remember what the method of delivery was, exactly or where the source of the display came from). It was at this point, sitting in the mock-cockpit, that I realized I could never fly one of these things for real, as I had to slouch down in order to view what was on the fixed display.
    HUDs are generally an angled piece of glass, possibly with some kind of coating to make it a little more reflective. There is some sort of projector below it projecting an image up on to it, so with the angle, the reflection hits your eyes. (In a car, the projector is in the dash projecting up to the windshield.) The distance between the projector and the glass makes it appear as if the image is actually beyond the glass. It's a cool effect.

    Not sure how that applies to a portable device, but there you go.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer

Posting Permissions