1.    #1  
    Just wanted to share my experience from someone (me) who became a little impatient with Palm releasing a device on Sprint and moved on to Android.

Like the title says, after months of owning a top of the line Android device (Epic 4G and Evo 4G), I still stay with my original conclusion that webOS is by far the best operating system out there for mobile devices. I still have my Palm Pre, which is inactive, but still fun to use.

Android offers some strong points: much more apps, more customization without homebrew/rooting, and a LOT of adaptation to Android in the market (out of market apps and stuff like that, new games, etc.)

However, as an OS, webOS is very much superior. Although I will not be purchasing a webOS phone again (most likely) since Matias Duarte is now working full time on Android, I can pretty much guarantee that I will purchase a webOS tablet as my tablet of choice. The OS is simply that amazing.
    I must confess. I am using an optimus and there is sooo much it can do! But the feeling of simplicy of webos is gone.
    Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    As long as there is a webOS, I'll be using it!

As for the multitude of apps, well there is a point, but how much can I spend on apps anyway? I have 2 eReaders (pReader and Kobo) that I like, I have great email/PIM software. I have some killer games to keep me busy (Hockey Nations, FIFA 2010, NFL 2010, HAWX, NOVA, Rock Band, Tiger Woods, and the Astraware ones). Great clock radio apps for wake up in the morning, top GPS Nav app, Sprint TV, solid music app, Touchstones for home and car. Finally, a phone that is small enough to fit in my pocket without causing a limp.

Not much is missing in the Pre and the 5000 apps. I would like the ability to edit Office docs, and a Kindle option would be nice, but I'd still stick with Kobo most of the time.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I recently upgraded from my Verizon Pre Plus to a Samsung Fascinate. After about 10 days when the "oooh shiny new technology" phase passed, i hated it. It was very laggy at times, the android fragmentation was terrible, being stuck at android 2.1, and while it offered more apps, there wasnt really any apps that i gained from android that i couldnt get with webOS. I am returning my Fascinate tommorow to get my upgrade back and am waiting to see what HPalm has in store on February 9th!
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I've never owned a webOS device but I've always been interested in it. I've owned an android device for about a year now (OG Droid) and I think that it's an amazing operating system but there's so many devices now with android that the market is seriously saturated with them. The only problem that Palm, or now HP, has is a serious lack of hardware for such a great OS. I'd like to see some great new hardware to really jump start some interest in webOS. Maybe a touch screen-only phone with the same classy look as the pre or pixi.
    just a quick question about all the new phones everyone is trying, do they feel like they were designed to be talked on? seriously i had to use the sprint stores evo last week for like 40 min and i thought cut my ear. the one rep on the phone said he has a bumper on his to make it comfortable.
    idk, i have tinkered with a bunch of different phones and damnit i prefer the pre, just wish it was a pre2, stupid sprint. hopefully feb9th has a rugged (military spec)pre2, that would rock, i would actually stand in a line for that.
    Palm prē-ist.
    Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    just a quick question about all the new phones everyone is trying, do they feel like they were designed to be talked on? seriously i had to use the sprint stores evo last week for like 40 min and i thought cut my ear. the one rep on the phone said he has a bumper on his to make it comfortable.
    idk, i have tinkered with a bunch of different phones and damnit i prefer the pre, just wish it was a pre2, stupid sprint. hopefully feb9th has a rugged (military spec)pre2, that would rock, i would actually stand in a line for that.
    Talking is the last thing most of them consider. It was one of the driving forces behind my getting a Pre in the first place. I've had Treos before and the Palm call quality was unmatched. For as much as I use the Pre for, it has to work as a phone first and foremost!
    Some of you may have read my post where I admit that I work for Google and on Android in particular.

Even though I work as an Android Tech for a living I recently switched back to my Palm Pixi+ due to missing the simplicity and aesthetics of WebOS.

Android phones aren't built for an end user, they're built to say "Look at how much stuff this phone can do, nevermind how obstructed some features are."

I'm not knocking Android, I love it too, but I can't deny that WebOS could very much blow it out of the water if only it had the hardware and developer support. Let's hope it's coming.
    Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketh View Post
    Android phones aren't built for an end user, they're built to say "Look at how much stuff this phone can do, nevermind how obstructed some features are."
    This is an excellent description of Android and the differences between Android and webOS! Kudos!
  10.    #10  
    Good description of Android. Very accurate. The ONE thing holding me back from getting a webOS phone is that its creator, Matias Duarte, is now working on Google Android. So perhaps Android is going to see some simplicity.
    +1 to that as well.
    You have no idea Duarte is going to have a chance to do anything significant anytime soon. In his interview with Engadget at CES he said at Palm he was able to start fresh where as now he is slapping lipstick on a pig (not his words but basically what he meant).

If your upgrade was anytime soon I think it would be more than safe to assume that jumping on the webOS train would be safe... it is highly unlikely that Android is going to see huge changes to how the OS works anytime soon.
    Joe Dirt: Well, I see you got those snakes and sparklers. But where's the good stuff man?
    Kicking Wing: Good stuff? This is the good stuff, snakes and sparklers.
    Joe Dirt: Are you nuts dude? You need stuff that'll explode. Go *boom*!
    Kicking Wing: Why is that good?
    Joe Dirt: Well, huh, might as, might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good?
    I switched to android for a few and I didn't like having to clear all my notifications at once. I have a particular disdain for the "curtain bar" & notifecation paradigm - the whole pressing areas of the screen that did not respond was confusing from my webOS background. App switching was pretty clunky too, and I didn't really know where to find all the preferences / settings at. I also got sort of lost as to where the back button was taking me. Then, I realized, force closes suck. The physics in Angry Birds seemed busted to me, and I had difficulty finding the types of quality 3D games on android... but that might have just been due to the overwhelming amount of app spam in their market place. Then I tried to integrate with my corporate 802.1x wireless but it couldn't accept the certificate (webOS did, but why?) and it really didn't integrate as nicely with exchange (I couldn't decline meeting requests). I like android primarily because it is a free OS like linux that serves the developing world quite well. For those of us that can buy a real OS with quality support, I think there is better.
    Some of you may have read my post where I admit that I work for Google and on Android in particular.

Even though I work as an Android Tech for a living I recently switched back to my Palm Pixi+ due to missing the simplicity and aesthetics of WebOS.

I'm not knocking Android, I love it too, but I can't deny that WebOS could very much blow it out of the water if only it had the hardware and developer support. Let's hope it's coming.

Reading your comment I have a hard time believing you work on the Android OS. Also one thing I have noticed is all webos users who homebrew compare that to stock android. Android has unlimited home screen editors that allow you to make your user experience any way you like. I like being able to customize everything on my phone so the UI is exactly how I like. I love being able to download files directly from website and my phone knows what to do with them. To be honest I have incorperated aspects from webos, and love the fact I can do that. There are aspects that I don't like about Android, but no OS is perfect. There is always one thing or another lacking.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksspot555 View Post
    You have no idea Duarte is going to have a chance to do anything significant anytime soon. In his interview with Engadget at CES he said at Palm he was able to start fresh where as now he is slapping lipstick on a pig (not his words but basically what he meant).

If your upgrade was anytime soon I think it would be more than safe to assume that jumping on the webOS train would be safe... it is highly unlikely that Android is going to see huge changes to how the OS works anytime soon.
    He has made a darn good looking tablet OS already. I think the next Android Phone release will be dramatic as well.

This is where google can innovate and apple cant. Google doesn't care if things change. "Track ball? maybe, nahh... oh lets change the button layout.. oh i know! No buttons! "

I think it won't take long before he gets things done. (looking at you long press)

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html