Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    can you do everything in webos as well as you do it on windows(pc os)? maybe even faster and easier than windows? the way windows became famous was ,that is was a much simple os than dos-that was in the early 90's-. but now webos does everything in a much simple(and way faster with enyo) way than windows. so the main question is...: Do we really need windows at all?
    An honest look at the available apps for webOS should answer that question for you. For me, the answer is YES, windows is still needed; so are the other OSes for that matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by shloime View Post
    ... the way windows became famous was ,that is was a much simple os than dos...
    Windows started as a GUI on top of DOS. Windows didn't become more famous than DOS -- it's the next version of the same OS from the same vendor.

And the way DOS started was by letting everyone in the PC biz undercut IBM... who is now entirely out of the personal computer business.

Maybe you're thinking of Macintosh?
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Planesdragon View Post
    Windows started as a GUI on top of DOS. Windows didn't become more famous than DOS -- it's the next version of the same OS from the same vendor.

And the way DOS started was by letting everyone in the PC biz undercut IBM... who is now entirely out of the personal computer business.

Maybe you're thinking of Macintosh?
    you're right. but my main point is: the reason why windows became ultra famous
    is bcause everybody was able to use it. no special skills required. isnt the same thing happening again in comparison with webos? or lets rephrase the question: is there anything we can not do it better/faster with webos? of course we need more apps .
    Quote Originally Posted by shloime View Post
    is there anything we can not do it better/faster with webos? of course we need more apps .
    YES! Are you really comparing webOS to a full desktop OS? There are boatloads of things you can do in windows that can't be done in webOS.

Now if you are talking about slapping windows (full windows) on a mobile phone and then comparing it to webOS, that would be a different story. The answer would still be YES, but there would be things that webOS does more comfortably.
    things i can do on windows that i can't on webOS.

spreadsheets. I mean proper one with graphs and macros etc.

create fully formated documents.

create presentations.

create 3d cad models.

write software.

print, scan, download photos from my camera.

i could go on for ever. Its all about creation vs consumption. Without full blown OS's there would be nothing to do on the mobile OS.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    things i can do on windows that i can't on webOS.

spreadsheets. I mean proper one with graphs and macros etc.

create fully formated documents.

create presentations.

create 3d cad models.

write software.

print, scan, download photos from my camera.

i could go on for ever. Its all about creation vs consumption. Without full blown OS's there would be nothing to do on the mobile OS.
    would you be able to do spreadsheets with an app in webos? the same thing with formatted documents? create presentations... depends how fancy you want to go with the graphics,videos,etc. 3d cad models and write software you re right. print,scan and photos...i think you are going to be able to do that soon with webos.
    most of the computers in the world , are they used for writing programs or create 3d cad models?
    can we say that the tipical house or regular office does not need anything more than webos? is that at least half of all computers in the world?
    openoffice should be compatible with webOS, and with a tablet or netbook you could use the standard UI
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    openoffice should be compatible with webOS, and with a tablet or netbook you could use the standard UI
    webOS port of Xorg in the works, OpenOffice support the inevitable result -- Engadget
    mobile OS's will do 95% of what 95% of the people want to do 95% of the time. But sometimes you really need that last 5%. I can see microsoft abandoning the big expensive OS overhauls like vista and win7. Because lets face it there's nothing in that last 5% that couldn't be done on winXP. They might even start to reduce the price down to more reasonable levels too. The competition will be tough, but we will need these full blown OS's for some time to come.
    Webos is not even close to being ready to even pretend to be even half a crappy full-desktop experience.

Theres soooooooo much missing from it...
    Little off topic, but can you imagine building a webos app, on a webos device?
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    Webos is not even close to being ready to even pretend to be even half a crappy full-desktop experience.

Theres soooooooo much missing from it...
    like?
    For me, webOS could never replace Windows. I need my PC to do things like Photoshop, programming, gaming (real games... not Angry Birds), managing my USB devices, and things like that. Also, the web browsing experience on my Pre isn't that great. That could be fixed with a bigger screen and better browser though (my brand new HTC HD2 makes web browsing MUCH better).

Any mobile OS can't replace a full OS.
    Last edited by Garrett92C; 01/16/2011 at 07:35 PM.
    webOS will not change the world

neither apple nor linux can replace windows, webOS is not even near linux

windows will at least be neccessary for the next 25 years
    Ahh but a mobile OS replacing a mobile computer can

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    A dual boot windows 7/WebOS device would be great. Use a nice speedy mobile OS most of the time. Boot to windows and pair a BT keyboard when you need to edit office docs, watch slingbox/netflix/hulu, or read from your kindle library. Wait...where are those apps for webos?? C'mon HP, throw some funds around - those are necessary on a tablet. Android and iOS have them.
    IMHO if it has windows , they've failed.

Either launch it right or don't launch at all...

I doubt HP had dual/quick boot in mind when they bought webOS

They had a dominate by brute force in mind

Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    IMHO if it has windows , they've failed.

Either launch it right or don't launch at all...

I doubt HP had dual/quick boot in mind when they bought webOS

They had a dominate by brute force in mind

That's what I was trying to get at in an indirect way. If HP can attract a few key apps, they can have a tablet that directly competes with iOS and android tablets except with a superior OS. It will be a complete failure without office editing, streaming video services and solid ereading.
    Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz View Post
    That's what I was trying to get at in an indirect way. If HP can attract a few key apps, they can have a tablet that directly competes with iOS and android tablets except with a superior OS. It will be a complete failure without office editing, streaming video services and solid ereading.
    These may be what sparked the in house app contest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast