Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz View Post
    A dual boot windows 7/WebOS device would be great. Use a nice speedy mobile OS most of the time. Boot to windows and pair a BT keyboard when you need to edit office docs, watch slingbox/netflix/hulu, or read from your kindle library. Wait...where are those apps for webos?? C'mon HP, throw some funds around - those are necessary on a tablet. Android and iOS have them.
    if they could make a tablet/netbook hybrid like the lenovo (not sure its exact name), which ran webOS while detached from keyboard, but booted windows when docked with the keyboard, i could see buying that. essentially the keyboard part would be a netbook without a screen, and utilize the tablet portion as the monitor.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    mobile OS's will do 95% of what 95% of the people want to do 95% of the time. But sometimes you really need that last 5%. I can see microsoft abandoning the big expensive OS overhauls like vista and win7. Because lets face it there's nothing in that last 5% that couldn't be done on winXP. They might even start to reduce the price down to more reasonable levels too. The competition will be tough, but we will need these full blown OS's for some time to come.
    Actually, full blown OSs would then get more expensive as they woiuld be seen (rightfully or not) as a niche product for a niche market.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Webos needs to be primary.. Not only that it needs to be alone.

Ppl will confuse windows and webos.. And than will just fade as a failed win product otherwise

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I forsee dual boot HP netbooks or tablets in the future or even simultaneous operation (possibly). shloime I can't see how you don't see the difference here. If I didn't know any better I'd say you were trolling but I know better based upon your history.

I cannot do the following on webos
    GIS via ESRI (really, they are THE only shop in town)
    full blown excel analysis spreadsheets with commands like =sumXMY2
    Computational Fluid Dynamics via ANSYS Fluent
    SigmaPlot
    Actually developing an app for webOS, although I am not really getting far anyway
    NOT TO MENTION I STILL CANNOT SEARCH FOR A SINGLE WORD IN THE WEBOS BROWSER. yuck :P
    record TV

these will hopefully be possible soon
    zip/unzip files
    watch netflix
    watch a divx movie
    play a flash game or watch a flash movie
    Download data from a campbell scientific datalogger
    Quote Originally Posted by shloime View Post
    can you do everything in webos as well as you do it on windows(pc os)? maybe even faster and easier than windows? the way windows became famous was ,that is was a much simple os than dos-that was in the early 90's-. but now webos does everything in a much simple(and way faster with enyo) way than windows. so the main question is...: Do we really need windows at all?
    You need to expand your thinking. Windows by itself is nothing. What runs on Windows is. Spread sheets, documents etc. OpenOffice is still not a corporate standard. Where are the trading apps? Windows is much more than the OS. Webos may be good for small shops in a year or two, but is needs more substance to replace desktop software in enterprise environments.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 01/16/2011 at 08:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    You need to expand your thinking. Windows by itself is nothing. What runs on Windows is. Spread sheets, documents etc. OpenOffice is still not a corporate standard. Where are the trading apps? Windows is much more than the OS. Webos may be good for small shops in a year or two, but is needs more substance to replace desktop software in enterprise environments.
    If I could put a nice candy shell (like a card) around a linux program (like ANSYS Fluent), I'd be a happy camper. OOOh.

Edit- then I could install WINE and have a kind of system in a system in a system.
    Wait, _Is_ this _My_ idea? :O
    When my Adobe Master Suite runs on webOS, I'll be happy to ditch windows.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    if they could make a tablet/netbook hybrid like the lenovo (not sure its exact name), which ran webOS while detached from keyboard, but booted windows when docked with the keyboard, i could see buying that. essentially the keyboard part would be a netbook without a screen, and utilize the tablet portion as the monitor.
    i love that idea! a powerful webos tablet becomes a super powerful windows notebook with dedicated graphics ,blue ray,etc...mmm .i hope hp reads these posts
    also, it should come in 2 different sizes: 11' and 14'
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    Just providing a link to that hybrid you mentioned.
    Well if it wasn't for a desktop OS, we wouldn't have webOS or ANY mobile OS for that matter. Until you can actually create programs and apps right in webOS, there will always be Windows.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    openoffice should be compatible with webOS, and with a tablet or netbook you could use the standard UI
    Here's what I interpret to be the OpenOffice developers' response about porting their code to platform-X:

OpenOffice.org for mobile OS Android? (View topic) • OpenOffice.org Community Forum

But I think the real issue isn't what can be done (in the sense that it is technically possible) it is more a case of where the (you'd be shocked to learn how meagre) OOo development resources should be focussed. There's too much to fix in the main-stream product for it to make any kind of sense to start developing for a new platform.
    Unless it is coming from a spinoff/fork of Oo with a whole batch of new volunteer programmers, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to see OpenOffice on *any* smartphone or tablet any time soon. They seem to be hurting for help.....
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Here's what I interpret to be the OpenOffice developers' response about porting their code to platform-X:
    http://m.precentral.net/x-server-com...ong-openoffice
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    I don't know, I have my Pre for most of what I do, but I can't see it replacing the Win 7 on my HP Touchsmart.
    I remember that project (almost two years ago now), they had a private forum where they were all working on it but it never got anywhere and they just disappeared with no explanation as to what happened.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    I'm somewhat familiar with that concept:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-pre-plus.html

The OpenOffice UI does not scale well to anything smaller than a PC screen, to the point of not even being able to use the file|open dialog because the OK button is off the screen. OpenOffice does not have the programming resources to fix their desktop product's issues, never mind porting to an entirely new platform and re-designing the UI from scratch.

Other than for opening up a PowerPoint to review it portably, Oo is pretty much useless under X on a Pre.....
    People still use windoze? I use the same OS on my other systems as I do on my Pre already. Linux.
    : (){:|:&};:
    If hp were smart, they'd offer either WebOS in a vm for pc, mac and linux, or some sort of cloud client that runs on those OSs..

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    If hp were smart, they'd offer either WebOS in a vm for pc, mac and linux, or some sort of cloud client that runs on those OSs..
    I can't agree with that. webOS (like all the modern mobile OSes that matter today) sucks on a desktop for the same reason desktop windows suck on a mobile device. They are meant to be finger friendly and use the appropriate mobile metaphors.

Try using webOS in the emulator for an extended period of time and you'll see what I mean. Same thing for Android in an emulator. Doing things with a mouse that were meant to be done with your fingers makes for an awkward user experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12