Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    So is City Tavern a go, also, is there a time? I most likely wont be able to get there till 5 (i have class till 4).
    Are they having both events in the same complex (big announcement and dev event)?
    Cool... Actually, looking up the location on Google it's right on the water and within walking distance of most stuff.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/01/2011 at 11:31 PM.
    How close is the City Tavern to the event location? As long as they are close, it sounds like a great idea to meet up ahead of time!
    Unfortunately I was not able to get an invite to the event, but I still plan on attending the meet up! I would also love a post-conference meet up so I can pick your brains! (unless there's an NDA of course). I know some of you are coming from out of town and might want to make this a mini vacation as well so I've put together a small list of things to do. It's by no means exhaustive and I encourage others to add to it.

Things to do in San Francisco

With a Car

Golden Gate Bridge and Marin Headlands: Drive up 101 North to the Golden Gate Bridge. Once you get over take the Alexandria Street Exit and make a left. Follow the signs to the right to the Marin Headlands. You can stop at any of the points but I recommend driving all the way to the last one for a perfect view of the Bridge and the City (for anyone that watches Monk it’s the spot that the opening picture was taken from) $5 toll required (I think it’s $5, I could be wrong).

Twin Peaks: A great spot with an awesome view of San Francisco and the Bay Area. For directions visit: Twin Peaks San Francisco - Directions to Get There Easily

Treasure Island lookout: If you go over the first part of the Bay Bridge and exit left you will be on Treasure Island. As soon as you get to sea level there will be parking (requires a u-turn). This is an awesome up close view of the city and the Bay. No toll required.

Lombard and Filbert Street: Drive down the most crooked street in the country! A great tourist spot and a fun drive. Take 101N (Van Ness) to Lombard Street and turn right. Continue up the hill until you reach the crookedness! As soon as you get down the hill make an immediate right and make another right on Union and another right on Van Ness. Make a right on Filbert Street and start climbing. Once you get to the top you will find the steepest incline in San Francisco. Drive slowly! Or use no brakes for fun (use your discretion of course!)

Public Transportation

Fisherman’s Wharf: A definite tourist trap but a good spot nonetheless. For lunch, try Boudin’s bakery. The clam chowder or tomato soup in a sourdough bread bowl is delicious, as are their sandwiches. (Tip: Order downstairs from the deli as opposed to upstairs at the restaurant.

Civic Center: For any architecture/history fans this is a great spot. Take BART OR MUNI to Civic Center and admire a gorgeous City Hall and other government buildings and symphony centers. It is near Union Square as well.

Union Square: The shopping center of San Francisco. There is a nice park there as well where you can hang out and enjoy some (hopefully) sun.

Embarcadero: About a 20 minute walk from Fisherman’s Wharf there are some nice places for food and drink all along the Embarcadero as well as green spaces to hang out.

Food and Drink
    I believe the PreCentral meet up is at City Tavern but if you find yourself hungry or thirsty before check out these spots:

Boudin’s: Mentioned above

Red’s Java House: Along the Embarcadero (under the Bay Bridge) has delicious burgers and super cheap PBR with waterside outdoor seating.

Gordon Biersch: Definitely commercial, but good beer and outdoor seating near the Bay Bridge.

21st Amendment: My favorite spot in San Francisco. 2 Blocks from AT&T Park (if you’re a baseball fan check it out!) It’s a brewpub with some awesome food and great beer

Tommy’s Joynt: A San Francisco classic. Cafeteria style food but some of the best fresh meat you can find, and over 100 beers to choose from.

Beach Chalet: A little pricey, but a brewery/restaurant on the feet of the Pacific Ocean. Great view, and a great beer sampler.

Pearl’s Burger: One of the best burgers in San Francisco. A tiny burger joint with fresh ingredients and the option for buffalo burger. Great shakes!

Morty’s Deli: A deli near Civic Center offering East Coast style sandwiches and a small selection of beer and wine (near my work, I eat here almost everyday)
    Map Info:

Fort Mason Center to City Tavern - Google Maps

How will we recognize everyone? Maybe these?
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 02/02/2011 at 04:10 PM.
    I'll be the one sitting with the Topaz and Opal and new phones (begins daydreaming...)
    Hey, this sounds like fun!

Be great to have dinner with some new friends and then head over to the dev event!

I am planning on going to the WOR live blog event in the morning, as I didn't get into the press event. Anyone not making the press event who is already in the area should come hang out rather than just watch it alone in a hotel room or something! Should be fun!

Nathan

@nkbme
    Last edited by nkbme; 02/05/2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Mis-understood timing of the get together.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    If I were going, I bet I wouldn't need a nametag or a shirt!

Sent from my eVo
    LOL... I would recommend a shirt though...

But yes we would all recognize you just fine I'm sure.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

How will we recognize everyone? Maybe these?
    How about when somebody walks in they just hold up their Pre or Pixi with the screen on and all those who are already seated will reply with the same.

If that doesn't work just tweet me @RichDunbar and I will make sure whoever comes through the door finds us all just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by nkbme View Post
    Hey, this sounds like fun!

Be great to have dinner with some new friends and then head over to the dev event!

I am planning on going to the WOR live blog event in the morning, as I didn't get into the press event. Anyone not making the press event who is already in the area should come hang out rather than just watch it alone in a hotel room or something! Should be fun!

Nathan

@nkbme
    I too did not get an invite to the press event and will be hanging out with Nkbme and ArthurThornton so anyone who can't go to the press event is more than welcome to come chill with some other Pre Central folks and we will follow our favorite Tweeters or whatever else we have all together.

Just Tweet me @RichDunbar to get the details. See some of you Tuesday evening, some more of you Wednesday morning and hopefully all of you Thursday afternoon and evening... and evening.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    LOL... I would recommend a shirt though...

But yes we would all recognize you just fine I'm sure.
    ROFL!

Yes, I do usually wear them in public!

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    ROFL!

Yes, I do usually wear them in public!

Sent from my eVo
    I am sure you do. LOL

It's all that red hair though that would be the dead giveaway regardless what shirt you were wearing.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I am sure you do. LOL

It's all that red hair though that would be the dead giveaway regardless what shirt you were wearing.
    Very true! That's why I keep it red, I like being memorable.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Is anyone else caltraining to the event? Feel free to PM me if anyone wants to share a cab (especially for the return trip after the event).

Now to go find my clipper card.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I'm a pretty quiet member of the community here but do plan on attending the evening Dev Reception, thanks to a couple standby flight vouchers . My flight from KC gets in at OAK around 4pm so I may not have time to make it to City Tavern...I'll be lucky to not get lost between the airport and Fort Mason Center! What time will you leave from there for the event?
    Does anyone know if this event is being streamed online anywhere? I wanted to go but do not have the slightlest idea on how to get an invite. I tried.
    Thanks guys for setting this up. I should be free to meet up with folks around 5ish. DM me or @ me - I had to unfollow a ton of people for CES and I haven't re-followed everybody yet since I catch y'all on the precentral feed.
    ...actually, may be a bit later than that. Derek and I may podcast tonight... Maybe we should do it LIVE IN PERSON somewhere?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast