1.    #1  
    Imagine using a Microsoft Kinect sensor to interact with WebOS? Think of the possibilities! I could imagine WebOS on my TV and changing channels by just waving my hand. I'm sure all the gestures would work somewhat the same. Thoughts anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by MP715 View Post
    Imagine using a Microsoft Kinect sensor to interact with WebOS? Think of the possibilities! I could imagine WebOS on my TV and changing channels by just waving my hand. I'm sure all the gestures would work somewhat the same. Thoughts anyone?
    Could happen with a hack, but more than likely not an official thing.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    XBox Live is already integrated into WP7. I would imagine any Kinect features would be only for WP7 as well. The possibilities are cool, but I don't know why Microsoft would let anyone else have access to that.
    I agree with Thead, while it would be pretty awesome, Microsoft is likely to keep their products interactive with their products and likely not anyone elses
    not for me. I would miss the remote control. I got tired of the Wii pretty quick because I just wanted to play video games with my fingers. First person shooters and Madden Football were killers on the arms. I was never tempted to do any all-night gamer fests with the Wii. Why wave my arm up in the air to change the channel when I only need to tap a button with one little finger?

Could it be done? Sure!! Would I care? Maybe only for a few minutes when I show it off to someone but I'm sure I wouldn't use it regularly.
    i would love it. that'd be awesome.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    It depends on how Microsoft makes it available. If they sell the PC version as an OEM part then third parties can resell it with their PCs and different software and OS's (assuming MS agrees to sell it to them). If they sell it only as a consumer product then it will depend on how they setup the terms of use. Will companies need to buy a license to develop using it, will it have generic drivers requiring no license, will the official development package require a license, etc.

MS will take the route that yields the highest profit (obviously).
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    I think it would be very interesting. HP could also dip into other manufacturers technology like Asus Motion Sensing technology announced at CES or for that matter then company who originally developed MS Kinect tech.

Either way, I think innovation needs to be key and would love to see HP digging into this arena. Sorli...
    Swiping in mid air to switch cards on my TV. That actually doesn't sound bad at all.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    yeah and you can do a massive uppercut to throw the cards away. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMan View Post
    Swiping in mid air to switch cards on my TV. That actually doesn't sound bad at all.
    Agreed and the thing is you wouldnt neciscarily need to swipe an arm. There were rumors that kinect was dumbed down for the 360, but actually had the resolution to see individual finger movements. Just imagine when they start doing eye tracking...insane

As far as shooters that use kinect...... Kinect Hacks: Gesture-based Modern Warfare, Zelda and Doom | Joystiq ....Sold
    Last edited by Titan078; 01/14/2011 at 09:37 AM.
  12.    #12  
    I really think in the near future we'll be interacting with computers and other devices through gestures and voice commands. Look at all of the advances in voice recognition technology just in the past couple years. Faster computers, Moore's Law, hell that IBM supercomputer "Watson" beat Ken Jennings at Jeopardy during their test a couple weeks ago. (I guess the real show will air in Feb sometime which I won't miss!). I'm a huge fan of the Concept of WebOS. I think it's brilliant in it's design and is still in it's infancy. We're only coming up to version 2.0. Albeit a bit late but still.

Anyway back on topic; Microsoft normally frowns on customers trying to "hack" their products but apparently Microsoft deliberately made the Kinect sensor homebrew friendly. Someone has already written an open source driver for PCs which opens the USB connection and reads the inputs from the sensor. An interface to WebOS may be possible.

Check this out. OK back off topic, sorry.

The future of video conferencing! Network like 4 Kinects together and you can scan the whole room!
    I am loving kinect, and my pre, the interaction would be very cool on my HTPC W7 Media Center
    Since WebOS is definitely coming to PCs shortly, this would be an awesome accessory. HP works well with microsoft; license the Kinect!
    The idea of body gestures to control WebOS actually makes me think of the Gmail Motion video Google posted on April Fools Day. :-D