Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Some Android phones have shipped with Bing rather than Google for Maps and default search engine - most users have been disappointed.
    After reading the first post.. I did a google search for bing maps using universal search.. It brought me to a bing search of the word maps.. Ok not bings fault.. So I proceed to use Bing to search for Bing Maps..

And I got This

I clicked almost every link and nothing, just redirects back to bing with a search for bing maps ... After about 5 min of this I went to bing.com and found the link to bings map app..

If this is how difficult it is to search for bings own apps.. I don't want to even test other searches...

For fun google google maps and see where it takes you

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I don't see your point. There's a link to bing maps right on the bing homepage, you just decided to make things difficult for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I don't see your point. There's a link to bing maps right on the bing homepage, you just decided to make things difficult for yourself.

Yes... I know that.. I found out the hard way... The point is, google has a link to Gmaps on every page.. But yet if I search for google maps in google it actually takes me to a search result that has a link to google maps..
    Google doesn't use a tag line like MS. (hey bing this , bing that) .. So if I actually want to find a microsoft Bing product it named Bing ______ I can't bec in bing bc the word bing in bing is like typing search in google.

Point is.. Don't make it more difficult for users to find you using your own product.. And if MS. Isn't "trying" to do that, tha just tells me that they need to update their algorithim for searches.. Why should searching for bing maps, bing images, Bing anything not show up in a search.. All I want is a link to a bing product while using bing without having the need to visit the homepage... Maybe it's my OCD or somethin .. Lol I dunno

Google doesn't give enough love to webOS? You're correct on that front, considering Google hasn't developed for any platform other than their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Yes... I know that.. I found out the hard way... The point is, google has a link to Gmaps on every page.. But yet if I search for google maps in google it actually takes me to a search result that has a link to google maps..
    Google doesn't use a tag line like MS. (hey bing this , bing that) .. So if I actually want to find a microsoft Bing product it named Bing ______ I can't bec in bing bc the word bing in bing is like typing search in google.

Point is.. Don't make it more difficult for users to find you using your own product.. And if MS. Isn't "trying" to do that, tha just tells me that they need to update their algorithim for searches.. Why should searching for bing maps, bing images, Bing anything not show up in a search.. All I want is a link to a bing product while using bing without having the need to visit the homepage... Maybe it's my OCD or somethin .. Lol I dunno

You wish it was only your OCD!

Posted from my eVo!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    The LAST thing that HP should do with WebOS is to start dropping features.
    I really don't see how including a prominent link to Bing maps on the Bing homepage makes it more difficult to find.

Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I really don't see how including a prominent link to Bing maps on the Bing homepage makes it more difficult to find.

Lol.. My point is there is a prominent link for google maps on google, yet if I wanted to google the term google mas it rightfully shows me the link to gmaps, NOT to a google search of the word maps and Not a whole bunch of things about map making.

If I do a search in yahoo for yahoo mail (even though there's a link for it on the yahoo page) will it not show me the link to yahoo mail in the result and NOT a generic search consisting of the word mail??

Am I really that nuts?

I found it to be the same degree of difficulty as Sketch42. While technically not too difficult, it was still more cumbersome on the Pre than Google and in fact a little bit on the PC as well.

I will also reiterate the fact that Bing maps are not as comprehensive as Google's and when I get home today,i can show you a screenshot I took of my neighborhood, side-by-side shots of Bing and Google that proves it.

To each their own....use what you want. I'm still not convinced that Bing is better. Maybe you could explain why you think it's better and convince me otherwise, but for now I'll just stick to my Google
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I found it to be the same degree of difficulty as Sketch42. While technically not too difficult, it was still more cumbersome on the Pre than Google and in fact a little bit on the PC as well.

I will also reiterate the fact that Bing maps are not as comprehensive as Google's and when I get home today,i can show you a screenshot I took of my neighborhood, side-by-side shots of Bing and Google that proves it.

To each their own....use what you want. I'm still not convinced that Bing is better. Maybe you could explain why you think it's better and convince me otherwise, but for now I'll just stick to my Google
    Also (at least on mobile) there is no public transit on bing maps.

But agreed to each his own

Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    the webOS claim to fame should be choice. HP should be striving for seamless integration and synergy with as many services as possible. Starting with the bigger ones, like google and bing.
    I agree! we should have synergy with any Search Engine, Email Service, Map Service and Social Networking Service. IMO gmail sux! But it will allow me to associate my Hotmail and Yahoo Email accounts through it, but I also have direct synergy with them both through webOS. I would like to see an app like BFG Maps for Bing.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    If I use map view in google maps, and birds-eye view in Bing, they both reveal approximately the same amount of information and detail for a map in my area.
  13.    #33  
    There isn't much point in debating googlemaps vs bingmaps in general. It comes down to who could better support apps for webOS.

I'll admit I use google myself for most things, but I have been trying out Bing lately...it has some neat features. Check out the video previews on bing, you just hover your mouse over the videos and you get little live previews of the content; but again, that is a feature on the PC, and not relevant to this discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleyj View Post
    WebOS is currently very dependant on google, in fact it uses google for everything (search, email, calendar, maps):
    Google is easily added to everything but so are other services like Yahoo, Facebook and Exchange. Not sure your point.

1) Microsoft/Bing needs webOS. Ya there's WP7, but as a company Microsoft is in serious trouble in the face Google. Microsoft needs all the marketshare it can get in the search area, and needs to keep people plugged into microsoft products (Live etc) instead of increasingly relying on Google.
    So HP should use Bing because they are in serious trouble? Not a great reason to go with something.

2) WebOS needs Microsoft/Bing. Google has little incentive at this time to support webOS and I have watched people complain that Google doesn't always give webOS the attention it deserves (Google maps on webOS is pretty basic right?). As I said, Microsoft has incentive...didn't they pay Verizon a bunch of money to put Bing search on their phones?
    And Microsoft has more incentive to support WebOS then Google, please show me how that is true.

3) Windows Live integration with the Office Web Apps would be nice. Most of use use office alot, and perhaps in exchange for integrating Bing and hotmail etc as the default apps on WebOS we could get Skydrive/WIndows Live with fully functional Office Web Apps?
    Would be nice, but it wont happen.

5) Competition is good, and Google needs some. Now this isn't directly related to webOS, but in general we all benefit from healthy competition. It's ironic that turning to microsoft in this case is a way to avoid a monopoly, but the internet/search/cloud business is being taken over by Google.
    Yes competition is good between Google and Microsoft but you're also right that this has nothing to do with WebOS.
    Bing sucks

Bing hmmmm like a cherry --- and every one wants a cherry right

till you get one and realize they don't know what they are doing and then your realize an old experienced one is better -- right ?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12