1. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    How similar are the WebOS and RIM OS? RIM needs to gain back market share and 'email first' has lived its usefulness and HP needs to teamup with someone else that's still in the game.

Here's the Q . . . is there any usefulness in a merger between RIM and HP merging the capabilities of HPs and RIMs strengths? EQ. manufacturer motorola would benefit greatly by entering this equation.

I know kinda crazy . . . but wanted to poll the smart minds for comments~
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    As an IT person, RIM needs to die, and HP needs to be the one who drives the nail in the coffin.

seriously.
  3. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    With the recent agreement of Nokia and Microsoft, I think the RIM - HP discussion has even more merit?

Thoughts --- any1?
    That is, no bull****, hands down, the craziest thing I ever did hear.

Then again, the idea that *HP* would go and buy Palm seemed a bit unlikely as well before they went and did it.
  5. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Ever??? ok. Did you see Nokia and Microsoft joining up? I wonder if any1 else will chose the webOS in the coming years.
    Even if someone chose WebOS, HP/Palm won't give it. Palm killed itself with that decision.
  7. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    I knew motorola was going to be gobbled up . . . guess it was crazy to think HP or another big company would go after the patents and business processes of motorola mobility. The question now is who does HP align with? HTC maybe???
    Quote Originally Posted by dec View Post
    I knew motorola was going to be gobbled up . . . guess it was crazy to think HP or another big company would go after the patents and business processes of motorola mobility. The question now is who does HP align with? HTC maybe???
    Especially now that Motorola = Google, all other Android manufacturers are starting to panic about their profits in the future because while they never wanted to become Windows-like OEMs, they now face a reality where they're only second-grade Windows-like OEMs that will obviously get updates and features much slower than Google-owned Motorola phones.

So I'd say that quite a few companies will be in talks with HP, but we've known for a while that a number of companies have been in talks with them.

Myself, I see a much stronger synergy proposition in Samsung licensing webOS than I do in HTC licensing it or HP acquiring RIM and putting webOS on BlackBerries.
    BlackBerries don't have the good name they used to, so I don't think that would help at all. I do think somebody is going to scoop up RIM for a song in maybe a year or so, but I think when that happens, it'll be for patents and, perhaps, BBM (which is only another patent if you want to look at it that way) rather than for their platform.

HTC is just another phone company without any special hardware chops. Even if they're quite fashionable at the moment and are selling quite a few phones, they have nothing of value to offer HP. Their success is due to having been at the right place (Android) at the right time (when it was released) and you will see their profits dwindle as Motorola becomes the de-facto Android company to go to and all other OEMs are relegated to just that: being one OEM amongst many, especially if they have no way of diversifying their products other than putting skins on the software... most especially since people have historically been rather down on skinned Android and are tolerating skins rather than actively liking them.

SAMSUNG on the other hand has real hardware advantages (SAMOLED) that they could give the webOS platform in return for the webOS platform giving them a real software advantage (diversification).

We truly live in interesting times. Even if all you care for in the world is smartphones.
    I think google should've bought Palm because from there they can license Android and WebOS to HTC, Samsung, Lg, etc