Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hp might have dropped the ball by not renaming the operating system. Most people on this forum and others like it know more than the general consumer yet we usually do not spell webOS correctly.

Android (usually referred to as Droid thanks to Verizon) has a lovable mascot, iPhone is pretty self explanatory thanks to the i universe, but if you ask someone on the street what is webOS odds are they wont be 100% sure. Now some would say that this is because of the dismal market share that webOS currently occupies, but i would argue that its partly because of the name.

I understand that webOS is an operating system based on web technologies and that was supposed to attract web developers, but what does my wife care about that? Palm has failed at naming all around and HP should have burnt it all to start from scratch....pre (were they trying to tell us it was a beta) ...pixi (you have to trade your man card for it at the store).....webOS (we know, developers know, no one else does)....

The name that I would have proposed (if anyone at HP cared what i thought) is Cards. The Hp Elite powered by Cards. The people who knew what webOS was would have understood the transition and it would have made the brand more approachable in my Eyes.

"That is that new Cards phone." or "That is the new webOS Phone"

"Is that the phone that uses cards?" or "Is that the phone that uses webOS"

HP now has the best UI scheme going and they are still hiding it behind a vague name. I am not sure who named Windows.....Windows, but it was genius because the name helped you understand how to use the product. Simply put webOS doesn't.

If anything webOS was an attempt to excite developers, and maybe thats what palm needed at the time, but at the end of the day my wife and her father do not care or know what webOS is, but my wife flicks Cards away all day.

I still think the hardware is what killed Palm, but in my opinion HP should have dropped more than the Palm name.

Just my nickels worth.
    People said the same thing about Android when it first came out. "Stupid name... why in the world would they call it that??" Proof that it isn't a name that makes a strong product...but a strong product that makes a name. Only time will tell.

**note- that comment wasn't an opening to turn this into another us vs android thread. Just an analogy.
  3.    #3  
    I could agree with that, but look at the Android branding done by big red. How are you going to do a webOS commercial and make it look sweet? Cards floating on light(web)? Symbian, Meego, they all need smacked by their marketing departments.

Windows is the best example of how if you market something properly with an understandable concept you will win even if your product is not as strong. At least thats how i see it in hindsight.

I do not like Android as an operating system but if you sat me down and asked me if i wanted a Droid phone or a webOS phone in a marketing survey i would have went with Droid 5 years ago.(using Droid because its what the public calls it)

Ill agree with you that a name does not make a product, but i will argue that a bad name can hurt one.
    I still think it's better than "windows phone 7 series" or "qnx" or "meego" or "symbian s60"

Android is a stupid name also. What does the name have to do with a smartphone OS?

And "iOS" is as ridiculous as it gets in terms of names

I think webos sounds just fine.
    sorry but "cards" is the worst name for an OS I've ever heard. I think the name webOS is just fine.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    I still think it's better than "windows phone 7 series" or "qnx" or "meego" or "symbian s60"

Android is a stupid name also. What does the name have to do with a smartphone OS?

And "iOS" is as ridiculous as it gets in terms of names

I think webos sounds just fine.
    Have you seen a Verizon commercial. "Droid does" it for you so you do not have to.

It gave the operating system a name that people could relate to and visualize.(android hand commercial)

and the At&t add at the top of my Precentral is advertising a "Windows Phone" so it looks like Microsoft got the picture.
    Last edited by Titan078; 01/03/2011 at 01:29 AM.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    sorry but "cards" is the worst name for an OS I've ever heard. I think the name webOS is just fine.
    Whats the difference between Cards and Windows. They both reference how one interacts with the operating system in a clear and concise way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    Whats the difference between Cards and Windows. They bother reference how one interacts with the operating system.
    Let's just call it "Deck" lol
    "Synergy" would be a better name than "cards" in my opinion. I however still like the name webOS.
  10.    #10  
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titan078
    Whats the difference between Cards and Windows. They bother reference how one interacts with the operating system.
    Let's just call it "Deck" lol
    The way things have been going the last 6 months or so they should have just called it 52 pick up.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    "Synergy" would be a better name than "cards" in my opinion. I however still like the name webOS.
    I like that name...
    I could care less about what is called what

Evo-lution
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    ...Android (usually referred to as Droid thanks to Verizon) has a lovable mascot, iPhone is pretty self explanatory thanks to the i universe, but if you ask someone on the street what is webOS odds are they wont be 100% sure...
    I think you missed something very important in your observation:

Androis is an OS, iPhone is not.

If you asked somone on the street what Android was, they may know it's a phone operating system (though I think a lot of folks would just think it's a phone). If you asked them what IOS is, most wouldn't have a clue.
    Agree but thought the reason was more of it sounded waaaay to close to WebTV. That could be just me tho.
    Sometime you are the ball; sometimes you are the pins.
    Yep, hp seriously needs new branding for their webOS devices. This doesn't mean webOS can't stay, see the comment above on iOS (hint: most folks don't use that). Palm was a good brand, but since Palm doesn't run PalmOS any more (as of webOS 2.0), that needs to be retired to avoid muddying perceptions.

I think you're on the right track with "Cards"—hp needs a buzzword that can help do their marketing for them. When people ask what kind of phone I have I don't have a good one-word answer for them.
    for Apple and to a lesser extent HP palm it's not so important for people to distinguish the OS from the hardware. If you buy a Apple phone you can only have iOS.

Google needs the public to understand that Android is an OS that can be on a number of makes not just Motorola Droid.

For the most people they are just not interested. If the man in the shop says this is a good phone and can run Facebook or whatever is really important to that customer they will buy it.
    The name of the OS hasn't got much to do public recognition. It's the market share of the phone(s) that run it. I would like to think that this time next year things may have changed.
    Why we complain about name of an OS. It isn't that important to have very GREAT name if the OS very BAD.

Example: Windows OS.. .. It is usually in square shape that can be opened in the house, isn't it? what connection between window and operating system??? NONE!
    But Bill Gates can make Windows OS rules the world!

So I agreed 1000% with HelloNNNewman. It isn't a name that makes a strong product, but a strong product that makes a name
    I like that Verizon and Motorola made that Droid commercial, because now whenever I am talking to someone and they call Android "Droid" I know they have no idea what they are talking about.
  20.    #20  
    I think you missed something very important in your observation:

Androis is an OS, iPhone is not.

If you asked somone on the street what Android was, they may know it's a phone operating system (though I think a lot of folks would just think it's a phone). If you asked them what IOS is, most wouldn't have a clue.
    I agree to an extent, but there is only one model of the iPhone therefore apple does not need to distinguish the OS form the phone as pervoiusly stated. webOS already has two form factors running webOS with hopefully a ridiculous number to following in "the coming months....." We joke about toasters, but HP is making a play to Have webOS everywhere.
    Last edited by Titan078; 01/03/2011 at 08:08 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast