Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    If nothing else, I think it would just be good to put "with cards" Into ads and commercials.

"blah blah blah your life will be awesome. Introducing the palm pad from hp, with cards."

Maybe to common people, os specific name can just go away, and the brand is "with cards"

Come to think of it, has "webos" ever been mentioned in ads? If not, they need something to tie their line of products together.
    How many iPhone ads mention iOS? How often do Verizon ads specifically mention Android as opposed to just the Droid?
  2.    #62  
    iOS now needs a name becuase it is being used on multiple form factors much like webOS. When the OS is only located on one product then there is no need to brand it, but when it is on multiple form factors and devices like Windows Phone 7, Android, Win mobile, Symbian then there is a clear need to have an easily recognizable OS name. This is especially when your company uses multiple OS's. Android are Windows 7 are currently found on Hp tablets.

Maybe I haven't stated my argument clearly enough, but what I have been attempting to get at is "Why not?". Why not have a OS name that is descriptive to the public when imo they are the ones that will be most influenced by it. They would have been better off calling webOS "cloudOS" with all the zen they threw at us coupled with the buzz that cloud computing has gotten over the last year or so.

Sometimes when i say webOS it makes me feel like i am making fun of people with a speech impediment and that makes me sad. Hell after the last 20 posts or so i might have developed one.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    ..."It's all in the Cards!"

I actually kind of like that as a tag line, even for webOS...
    webos is a slang term for testicles in spanish, so at least they should advertise it with a different name in the spanish speaking countries.
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    webos is a slang term for testicles in spanish, so at least they should advertise it with a different name in the spanish speaking countries.
    LOL, no that's juevos which is egg. As in Juevos rancheros, a spanish dish with eggs and salsa.
    iLike WebOS, iDon't want to be an iPhone clone, iPicked WebOS/PalmPre because I was blown away by it. 2 years later? I'm still verry happy with my choice and launch day Sprint Pre. iCan wait for the Super HP/Palm phone running WebOS. I think the name and platform is great and the next WebOS phones/tablets will show it to the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    LOL, no that's juevos which is egg. As in Juevos rancheros, a spanish dish with eggs and salsa.
    Believe me, I'm mexican :P By the way, it's huevos, not juevos.
    PS: huevos rancheros are mexican, not spanish.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Anyone here (professional geeks are not allowed to participate) know the history of the name Linux?

Please folks, the name doesn't have to make sense, it doesn't have to be discriptive of what the system does, it really doesn't even have to be easy to prounce properly. It simply has to be the name of a good solid OS that has a compelling reason for people to buy/use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Linus Torvold?
    My point exactly. Linus Torvold made his own version of Unix (or more accurately his own version of Minix), and called it Linux.

So, a play (Linux) of a play (Minix) of the name of relatively obscure (to consumers) OS (Unix) became Linux. And folks on here are trying to make the case that a brand must make sense?
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    So, a play (Linux) of a play (Minix) of the name of relatively obscure (to consumers) OS (Unix) became Linux.
    Em.. isn't it still relatively obscure to consumers (as opposed to techie people) - linux desktop share is about.. 2%?
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I agree with the OP. I like the suggested name, too :P

Maybe it should be Synergy, that seems to be what a good chunk of the OS is about.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Em.. isn't it still relatively obscure to consumers (as opposed to techie people) - linux desktop share is about.. 2%?
    The use may be, but the name is not. Trust me. You ask a person using a computer if they know what Linux is, most of them do.

I believe Apple's current share of desktop space is about 10%, but folks still know the name, and that they make computers.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234