Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Why we complain about name of an OS. It isn't that important to have very GREAT name if the OS very BAD.

Example: Windows OS.. .. It is usually in square shape that can be opened in the house, isn't it? what connection between window and operating system??? NONE!
    But Bill Gates can make Windows OS rules the world!

So I agreed 1000% with HelloNNNewman. It isn't a name that makes a strong product, but a strong product that makes a name
    I really do not know what your getting at with the windows reference. Everything you do on a computer is in a window. The browser is a window to the world. You open and close windows on windows all day long. The name tells you exactly what the operating system does. Unlike dos, linux or MacOS the name describes the function of the OS to some extent and most likely had something to do with the mass adoption of the OS.

I still agree that a name does not make a product, but it will hurt it.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    When people ask what kind of phone I have I don't have a good one-word answer for them.
    I concur.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    The name of the OS hasn't got much to do public recognition. It's the market share of the phone(s) that run it. I would like to think that this time next year things may have changed.
    I disagree and I hope. Hp is selling webOS devices in multiple form factors and they would benefit from having a more descriptive Name for those devices in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    Hp might have dropped the ball by not renaming the operating system.

Just my nickels worth.

didn't we have this discussion over a year ago? webOS is fine.
    HP webOS and Palm smartphones. Makes sense to me.

The Palm name still has huge recognition and value. webOS is much less known.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 01/03/2011 at 07:38 AM.
    Global Posts
    354 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Let's just call it "Deck" lol
    How about "BIG DECK" LMAO!!!

palm is being phased out I think cards os is a good idea

"its a cards phone"

doesn't matter which. When I show people a pixi in the store, I have to explain that it's the same as my pre..with a smaller screen. And they don't get how it's the same. Theydk what the same os means, or o.p.e.r.a.t.i.n.g s.y.s.t.e.m.

cards phone will explain nearly everything about the phone by itself, especially if the person sees you navigating it, or has seen it before.
    lol
    I agree to an extent, but there is only one model of the iPhone therefore apple does not need to distinguish the OS form the phone as pervoiusly stated. webOS already has two form factors running webOS with hopefully a ridiculous number to following in "the coming months....." We joke about toasters, but HP is making a play to Have webOS everywhere.
    And if/when they have it everywhere, people will know what WebOS is.
    Anyone here (professional geeks are not allowed to participate) know the history of the name Linux?

Please folks, the name doesn't have to make sense, it doesn't have to be discriptive of what the system does, it really doesn't even have to be easy to prounce properly. It simply has to be the name of a good solid OS that has a compelling reason for people to buy/use it.
    Titan and I will start calling them cards phone to the webos illiterate. We'll see if it catches on, then hp will adopt it
    I think webOS is much better than pOS
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Anyone here (professional geeks are not allowed to participate) know the history of the name Linux?

Please folks, the name doesn't have to make sense, it doesn't have to be discriptive of what the system does, it really doesn't even have to be easy to prounce properly. It simply has to be the name of a good solid OS that has a compelling reason for people to buy/use it.
    You are correct that it does not have to, but why wouldnt it? If the name of a product could help the end user better understand the concept of the product then why wouldnt it? Thats like Apple saying that "hippo lite" is the next version of the iPad.
    I really do not know what your getting at with the windows reference. Everything you do on a computer is in a window. The browser is a window to the world. You open and close windows on windows all day long. The name tells you exactly what the operating system does. Unlike dos, linux or MacOS the name describes the function of the OS to some extent and most likely had something to do with the mass adoption of the OS.

I still agree that a name does not make a product, but it will hurt it.
    Browser is a windows to the world? You already accept all "windows" word as a correct & logical word as what in Windows Brand made by microsoft. So why you can't accept WebOS as OS base on web????

Palm made great OS base on Web. That's all logical for me why Palm choose WebOS for their OS name. Why you can't accept it and complaining that WebOS is bad name?
    cardOS sounds weird IMO
    "Cards" is good for normal non techy people...u have to realize that normal people think differently than us....

when the blackberry torch came out people on twitter were saying it was the blackberry version of a palm pre....as in "the new blackberry just copied the palm pre"...all they could see was the portrait slider and thats what they latched on to not the OS...

webOS means absolutely nothing at all to normal people except perhaps for spanish speakers (huevos = eggs or sometimes balls...and they pronounce it like "webos" when they talk spanglish)

"Deck" is pretty cool too
    how about "SwipeOS"? or "Swipe" lol

i can see it now: "Introducing the HP PalmPad with Swipe!"
    I think this thread really doesn't make any sense..

Whatever WebOS will change name or not, I don't care.

'Cards' multitask is the best so far. I don't care much about the gadget spec. I still think UI & multitask is the strong point that WebOS have.

I have android phone, ipod touch 4, and pre +, I use them everyday, and my vote still on WebOS with its cards is the best.
    You are correct that it does not have to, but why wouldnt it? If the name of a product could help the end user better understand the concept of the product then why wouldnt it? Thats like Apple saying that "hippo lite" is the next version of the iPad.
    I think you're not seeing the real picture here.

What does Apple have to do with computers (prior to them being a computer company)?

What does a pod, with or without the "i" in front of it, have to do with music?

While "iPhone" seems to make sense, it's only because of the association with the iPod, which didn't "make sense". Even at that, putting an "i" in front of the word "phone" tells us little about the device.

WebOS; however, is very descriptive, even in short form. It's an OS designed around web technologies.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Browser is a windows to the world? You already accept all "windows" word as a correct & logical word as what in Windows Brand made by microsoft. So why you can't accept WebOS as OS base on web????

Palm made great OS base on Web. That's all logical for me why Palm choose WebOS for their OS name. Why you can't accept it and complaining that WebOS is bad name?
    I accept it because it is a good analogy that makes sense. Conceptualizing an operating system that is based off of web technologies and the benefits of that is more difficult to wrap your fingers around in 5 or so seconds.

Once again the question falls to who are they marketing the operating system to the public or the dev.

webOS = devspeak

Cards = Public imho

Ps. Not complaining i just ditched the Evo to come back after a short 2 weeks. Just commenting.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think you're not seeing the real picture here.

What does Apple have to do with computers (prior to them being a computer company)?

What does a pod, with or without the "i" in front of it, have to do with music?

While "iPhone" seems to make sense, it's only because of the association with the iPod, which didn't "make sense". Even at that, putting an "i" in front of the word "phone" tells us little about the device.

WebOS; however, is very descriptive, even in short form. It's an OS designed around web technologies.
    I rationalize Pod as a place were you keep your digital media, but i did not come up with the name so i cant be sure of that. (hell i am even to lazy to check wikipedia)

iMac
    iPod
    iTunes
    iPhone
    iOS

I have mentioned several times that I know what webOS means and I understand why they may have named it that, but I do not agree with the decision.

I believe the name was intended to draw web developers in with webOS, but at the end of the day are they marketing to developers or the public? I get the decision, but at 5k apps i do not think it worked very well to seduce the web developers of the world.

Moral of the story is developers go where there are people and will not be seduced by a name. Odds are that if one were to choose to develop for a OS they will have throughly researched their decision where as Joe Schomo will look at a phone for 5 minutes and make a decision. I feel the the name has more of an impact on the end user than the developer and that webOS was chosen to pique developer interest not seduce the masses.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast