1.    #1  
    Appear on your wifi network as a device to share files with.

This just makes so much sense to me.

They are little computers. My laptop can share files with my backup server, and with my Boxee Box, it can send files over wifi to my Printer, but I cant share files on my smartphone.

Why is this just not an everyday feature on smartphones? It seems like such a logical thing to do that there would have to be a very good reason why not to do it.

And dont give me that "security" answer, thats a non answer. Networks can be made very secure and you can secure devices so that it will only share when connected to the wifi on your network, just like with a laptop.

**EDIT**

and I know you can do it with such and such app for $10, but not without installing some cruddy software on both your Pre and your computer, and then have to go through that.

I mean why dont smartphones just use Windows SMB straight out of the box, without any different app.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    ...I mean why dont smartphones just use Windows SMB straight out of the box, without any different app.
    Because they're not Windows?
    Because it's not a "feature" everyone wants?
    Because, if you really know what you're doing, it's pretty easy to set up to do it over the network - no "cruddy" or even "$10" programs involved.
  3.    #3  
    I dont know why no one would want this.

I mean would you rather get out your USB cord, plug in your phone, transfer mp3's over, unplug it.

Or, just transfer them over the air.

seems like a no brainer to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Appear on your wifi network as a device to share files with. ... I mean why dont smartphones just use Windows SMB straight out of the box, without any different app.
    Windows is not a standard implementation. Protocols and standards that Windows uses to talk to other windows computers often aren't available or even a good idea for other devices to communicate with. Especially since every smartphone OS save two are built on a UNIX variant, and so are used to talking to each other in a very UNIX kind of way.

Even that said, WebOS in particular doesn't even let you have out-of-the-box file system access on the device. So, before a random desktop can have access to your files, you really want that.
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath
    Oh, and one more (HUGE) thing.

You don't have a username on WebOS that corresponds at all to your windows network. You simply aren't (and won't ever) signed on to your WLAN, and the PCs on said WLAN simply aren't recognized as users on the device.

So if you wanted SMB, you'd need some form of security as well... or else any website you visit could write files to your device as easily as your local network could.

(Sure, there are ways around this. That will happen after Apple or Microsoft makes it a killer feature for their proprietary smartphone/desktop OS combo.)
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath
    Just set up samba on your webos device. Optwarefind: optwarefind . nslu2-linux . org / packages?utf8=✓ & Package%5BArchitecture%5D=arm & Package%5BPackage%5D=samba & commit=Search
    Forums are rough now a days. I thought it was a good question and thanks for the insightful answers. Hopefully HP's cloud implementation will take care of this need in the future. Sync to special cloud file and then that is pushed to your mobile phone so you have access to it everywhere. Just like Sugar sync's magic briefcase.
    Last edited by Titan078; 01/04/2011 at 02:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Planesdragon View Post
    Windows is not a standard implementation. Protocols and standards that Windows uses to talk to other windows computers often aren't available or even a good idea for other devices to communicate with. Especially since every smartphone OS save two are built on a UNIX variant, and so are used to talking to each other in a very UNIX kind of way.

Even that said, WebOS in particular doesn't even let you have out-of-the-box file system access on the device. So, before a random desktop can have access to your files, you really want that.
    None of that is really an issue.

Samba has existed for years on unix for sharing files with windows machines. It could be bundled together with the back end services that Internalz uses. That's one way that my bluray player can browse, and play content that's stored on a PC. Another option would be to provide the necessary software so the phone is a DNLA client. This is another feature of most bluray players & game consoles on the market already have. There are several different software options for turning a regular PC into media server for DNLA clients.
    I know why cuz simply: such a service running on your smartphone would drain the battery so fast you would have to plug it in anyway, defeating the whole purpose of wireless sync
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbohsp View Post
    I know why cuz simply: such a service running on your smartphone would drain the battery so fast you would have to plug it in anyway, defeating the whole purpose of wireless sync
    In refernce to the OP's question If there wasnt a communication problem between the OS's I dont see why it would be any more intensive than wifi, but that is all just speculation.

As far as my sugarsync reference goes i said push so your phone would not be calling the server all the time.
    I honestly thought (and I bet Microsoft did too) that it would be these kind of limitations that would see the iPad quickly fail. How wrong could I be!! For me personally unless the WebOS tablet can really take a step up in providing proper grown up OS functionality I will stick with my netbook.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbohsp View Post
    and streaming music/video from 'the cloud' doesn't?