Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So since I'm looking to get a Kindle, my biggest hangup has been - 3g or no 3G. There's not monthly cost, but it is an extra 50 bucks, so I got to thinking - Hey, the Kindle has Wi-Fi and I've got my Palm Pre Plus with the Wi-Fi hotspot (the non-included, non-verizon version), so what would I need 3G for? I can just hook it up to my phone.

Not so much. I've tried on two different Kindles (bear in mind, I haven't actually bought mine yet) and here is what I've discovered. I can connect to my home Wi-Fi just fine, but I can't connect to the Pre+ wi-Fi to save my soul. It detects the network, asks for the password, connects to the Phone, then disconnects seconds later.

My running theory is this - After the Kindle makes a Wi-Di connection, it then automatically makes some sort of connecting with Amazon's servers to test not only wi-fi connectivity, but internet connectivity. One small bug with the Pre+ hot spot app (at least on my version, and from what I understand, this is not unusual for those using freetether) is once a device connects to the Wi-Fi, the phone's 3G capability goes off got about 30-60 seconds before an internet connection is established. Therefore, when the Kindle makes the connection, there is no internet, so the Kindle assumes the wi-fi connection failed as well.

I have not tested this theory as of yet. I was thinking the best way to test that would be to first connect my laptop, then, once the 3G connection comes on, try connecting the Kindle. Haven't gone there yet since the prospect of having to do that EVERY TINE I want to connect the Kindle is just too annoying to think about.

Has anyone else had these issues? It's a pretty unique set of circumstances. Anyone have any thoughts on how to go aobut circumventing the issue (Yeah - spend the extra 50 bucks. cheaoskate)?

Thanks in advance

--MGb
    http://www.twitter.com/DeadTechnology - All things geeky (mostly Palm)
    http://www.twitter.com/oneminutecubs - All things Cubs
    Do you have the free tether service and app installed and is your ip forwarding enabled in the free tethered program? I would test your connection with a laptop or other wireless device to see if it can connect. I can connect my ipod with my pre and can video conference with skype while in my car.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just get the kindle with 3g in it.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  4.    #4  
    I had my laptop connected via hotspot app on Christmas, so it is viable, but it does take 30-60 seconds for the internet to work after the connection has been established. This has been reported as normal in these forums

--MGb
    For my kindle i opted to omitt the 3g because most places i go have wireless. I only need wireless when looking at or ordering books so there is no need for me to create wireless thru 3g. It wasn't worth $50 bucks to use a feature that isn't actually necessary for the kindle to function.
    did you try using the tethering app as an open hotspot without security, just as a baseline with that variable eliminated?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    did you try using the tethering app as an open hotspot without security, just as a baseline with that variable eliminated?
    I did try that with the first, not the second. Same results.

In regards to the not needing 3g, this is true. It would be more of a bonus than anything. Better to have it and not need it, and all that.

--MGb
    Well, I actually have the 3G Kindle because it was the only model they had left two days before Christmas....The Kindle's 3G runs on the AT&T network and I was pretty surprised to find it had better coverage than Sprint in my area (AT&T doesn't really get advertised here...it's a Verizon world). I have 3G even though the Amazon website says there's only EDGE in my area and that's at my house where I can't even get a decent roaming signal (nevermind Sprint) for annoying reasons.

However, I tried it with the unauthorized MHS and had the same problem. I also tried after getting my laptop connected, however, this is a no go as well. The 3G connection goes off everytime a device is connected or disconnected, not just when the first device is connected.

Ubuntu had a problem connecting the MHS app as well due to a bug by Palm and getting around it meant patching and recompiling the wireless drivers in Ubuntu, something that's not going to be easy with a Kindle. The best I can tell you is to hope the upcoming improvements to the freetether app will bring a resolution to this issue, but I'm not sure. I know they're taking donations so they can keep improving the app for webOS 1.4.x and 2.0.x.

As to the relative merits of getting the 3G or Wi-Fi, well. The 3G wireless is free only for downloading books/blogs/mags from the Kindle store and for use with the web browser. If you have your phone with you, you'd probably be better using the one on your phone, even though the Kindle now has a webkit based browser (although very limited). For converting and sending personal documents over the 3G, it's $0.15/MB rounded up to the nearest megabyte. So if you don't want to pay everytime say, Instapaper sends you a file, you'll be sending things to your free Kindle email address that only delivers over Wi-Fi anyway. Further, with the Kindle you have free access to AT&T wifi hotspots that others normally have to be on AT&T for or pay to use.

On the other hand, I much prefer reading Instapaper on its actual website as opposed to how it looks when you send it, because I don't like the way the Kindle navigates periodicals. You can also create a collection of bookmarks easily accessible from the Home menu here (Kindle Start Page Tool) if you think you'll be using the browser a lot - and with 3G, it could facilitate your browser use. It's an added convenience if your Pre is about to die and you need to check something on the web. Further, if you think there are things you'd rather do on a Kindle than on your phone, having the 3G would be a good option. This is also true if there are sites with items you can download directly to the your Kindle if you want to be able to download them whenever - for example, you can download free books from a few different websites at no charge and already have them on your Kindle. This can be done on wi-fi, of course, but if you live in a area where hotspots are scarce or don't care to be dependent on them, then it's easier with 3G.

Whichever you choose, get the graphite one.

While I'm here, I'll also show you the case I got for mine: Belkin Pleated Kindle Sleeve which comes in four different colors (I got the purple one). I like it because it doesn't add a lot of bulk to the Kindle, it's lightweight, and it's easy to get the Kindle out of it without making a lot of noise (there was one case I really like, but it used VELCRO...pitiful). It also has a pouch in the front where you can put the Kindle usb cord and charger, so I don't have to remember where I put it at (bonus benefit: the Kindle's usb cord works with the Pre, too). Someone in the reviews for it mentioned this one as well: M-Edge Latitude Kindle Jacket for those who would prefer not to take their Kindle out of the case and because it has a pocket for a light if you have one. But I like the way the Kindle feels in my hand, so I got the first one. Great if you just want a little padding to cover it while you're not using it in your house or to slip in your bag.
    Last edited by malpha; 01/01/2011 at 07:31 PM.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  9.    #9  
    Thank you very much for that. I believe that info was what I needed to puch me toward getting the wi-fi only model and wistfully wishing for a freetether upgrade. There are so many wi-fi hot spots out there, I'll probably be able to do whatever I need with only a sliver of inconvenience. Thanks very much again.

--MGb
    Yes I am eagerly anticipating a freetether upgrade as well.
    So is this issue only related to freetether? More specifically, does the Kindle connect to the Verizon Mobile Hotspot correctly? I am trying to make the same decision as the OP but I would be using Mobile Hotspot instead.
  12.    #12  
    Yeah, being on AT&T I can only relay my experiences with freetether. When I get my kindle, I'll see if I can touch baser with a VZW owner and see how the hotspot works. If I can get this done, I'll be sure to post here. I confess I was curious about this point as well. Of course, if anyone else has the means, please feel free to try it out and let us know. Chicago VZW Pre Plus users are welcome to message me

--MGb
  13. SashoDikov
    For $50 i will take the 3G version any day - don't forget it has unlimited 3G for life in over 100 countries so it will get you black and white web browsing any time on your vacation, plus if you are willing to break amazon's TOS you can hack the sim that comes with it to work with the pre and tether its connection back to the kindle or let's say palmpad

If it didn't took me $150 to ship it where i live, i would already have a DX ...
    Quote Originally Posted by SashoDikov View Post
    For $50 i will take the 3G version any day - don't forget it has unlimited 3G for life in over 100 countries so it will get you black and white web browsing any time on your vacation, plus if you are willing to break amazon's TOS you can hack the sim that comes with it to work with the pre and tether its connection back to the kindle or let's say palmpad

If it didn't took me $150 to ship it where i live, i would already have a DX ...
    I agree pay the extra $50, with that you get lifetime 3g book buying and (experimental) web browsing aswell as a higher value if you give it to someone else later.
    I didn't buy it for myself, but you can probably tell that if I had bought it for myself, I would have gotten the wi-fi only version. It's not so much that the 3G version was $50 more as I don't think it's that much more (and frankly, the Kindle is worth every penny of it - it's a beautiful device) as I probably wouldn't have used it that much (homebody, rarely travels, has three Pre batteries and two touchstones, and frankly, has a backlog of books to be reading for the next two months without buying Kindle store books beyond the occasional freebie). I already know I'm not the type to have to have a book IMMEDIATELY (and if you have your phone with you, you can put a book on your Wishlist or Purchase on your phone and then download whenever you get back to Wi-Fi).

That said, now that I do actually have the 3G one, I appreciate it for two reasons. First, I now have access to two different networks. Since the OP is already on AT&T, this isn't really a benefit. The other is that even with the wi-fi, the battery on the Kindle lasts an incredible 10 days and a month when you turn it off, which makes it an excellent choice on long trips where you'd like to conserve your phone battery. However, each reader is definitely different. I trust everyone to know themselves and their needs and pick the best device to meet them.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    I got a Kindle 3 WiFi for Christmas so I thought I would test this. I have a Verizon Pre Plus with only the official Mobile Hotspot, no tethering hacks. It worked perfectly. My data connection stays when I connect a device to MHS, so that problem must be with freetether or whatever others are using.
  17.    #17  
    Thanks Smur**** for the update. I'm hoping the freetether upgrade fixes that issue, but even if not, it wasn't something I absolutely needed. As it turns out, I did go non-3G. At the end of the day, the main thing I'd muse the 3g function for was web browsing, and my pre has a better nrowser than the kindle, so it was a push. Now I have an extra 50 bucks to buy some books

--MGb
    Quote Originally Posted by Smur**** View Post
    I got a Kindle 3 WiFi for Christmas so I thought I would test this. I have a Verizon Pre Plus with only the official Mobile Hotspot, no tethering hacks. It worked perfectly. My data connection stays when I connect a device to MHS, so that problem must be with freetether or whatever others are using.
    Really? I have a Verizon Palm Pre and have never managed to connect my Kindle 3 wifi to it using the Mobile Hotspot. Tried with the security on and off. No dice. My phone sees my Kindle but the Kindle tells me it can't connect.

What is your trick??
    Quote Originally Posted by thesexyscientist View Post
    Really? I have a Verizon Palm Pre and have never managed to connect my Kindle 3 wifi to it using the Mobile Hotspot. Tried with the security on and off. No dice. My phone sees my Kindle but the Kindle tells me it can't connect.

What is your trick??
    Sorry, no trick. I turned on MHS, chose the network on the Kindle and entered the security key. I'll try it again later if I get a chance.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I've had the same issue with the Kindle Wifi + Sprint Pre Hotspot...but I was able to get it working, although very painfully.

After getting the "Cannot Connect Error" I just kept hitting connect over and over until it finally connected and I was able to browse the Amazon store. After disconnecting, it took 6-7 tries to get connected again.

I just updated to the new version of mytether so I'll give that a try and see if anything changes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast