Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Yes, I did figure out that you cannot use the visual voicemail and switch back to your calendar to enter information.

You have to use the phone feature only to switch back to the calendar. It does work because I still have the phone and did figure it out. Android does work obviously otherwise there would not be such a huge number of phones out there.

I spent time learning the OS but I could have spent more you are all correct. Here are a few of the issues I noticed to be really annoying. Samsung built a great phone that is understood.

1. The ability to switch between programs without having to back out of everything or use the home button. Even after using one of those two options programs still show running in the OS. Samsung has incorporated a monitor so you can kill them into their portion of the product.

2. The facebook app that was most current on the phone constantly had problems working and would drop feed (Maybe it was my phone) The web based touch version worked when it would not.

3. (My fault) The form factor of the epic was awkward for me. It should not take two hands to use a phone.

4. The apps for it were pretty cool and there are plenty of them that is a huge plus

5. Maybe it is Sprint and 4g here in Cincinnati the phone when going out of a 4g area did not seamlessly switch and hung with network errors causing page or app reload issues.

6. The default email app did not check my corporate email as often as I specified. The product worked much better with gmail. I use 4 email accounts regularly and it did not pull emails for all of them on aq regular basis. The LED did not notify me of emails as it was setup to and the notification really are lacking.

7. Wifi/4g/3g issues I work in the field and am constantly switching between areas of town. It does not sense and change in any swmooth fashion. My Pre did this with ease and I am not sure why it was such an issue.

8. The search for contacts and other it just wasn't right from the start. Contacts would not show up in a contact search but would in the google general search. This may have been a setup issue or linking of the accounts issue

Here are some better things about the Epic:

1. Voice calling was clearer and the signal was better than my Pre

2. The screen and build quality whcih is quite obvious

3. Google Voice search and text was awesome

The bottom line is I could have adapted to
    I watch my evo friends use two hands all the time and they deny it all day. Sure you can use it with one hand but it's kinda awkward. I hope palm is not going that big with the new phone, I would have decisions to make.

As for as os is concerned, unless android has advanced gestures for switching between apps I am not interested, plus I don't like the way android looks. Probably because I am used to webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    As for as os is concerned, unless android has advanced gestures for switching between apps I am not interested...
    Is press a button, select an icon not advanced enough for you? I find it much more efficient than the SCAR* technique.

*Shuffle Cards Around Repeatedly
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Is press a button, select an icon not advanced enough for you? I find it much more efficient than the SCAR* technique.

Dont know if you are serious. But if I regularly had 8 apps open then I would prefer holding down the old home button. But I usually have no more than three, I quess I am not a "power user".

But what I find that I do a lot is to be on a call and have my contacts open and use advanced gestures to quicky switch between dial pad and my contact notes. That is invaluable to me, more so than voice dialing etc. would be. To each his own i guess.
    I think its safe to say the OP just didnt like Android OS. Why is that so hard for other android user to understand which is mind boggling. Every OS isnt for everyone, and there is no better or worse OS. I myself had a Evo at launch on another line and sold a month back, due to not liking the OS over the Pre. I just went ahead and plussed my sprint version, and am very happy with webos. I did not see any speed differences with either OS in applications, tasks etc so the difference some claim on here are missleading. I myself if I left webos Id prob go to WP7, which to me is the next best then in innovation behind webos, not android which again is just MY OPINION like the OP's.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post

Advance gesture means not having to go to card view to switch apps. With advance gesture, you switch between one full screen app to another full screen app with just one action. It doesn't get more efficient than one action.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Advance gesture means not having to go to card view to switch apps. With advance gesture, you switch between one full screen app to another full screen app with just one action. It doesn't get more efficient than one action.
    i must say I use that religiously, and havent seen a better implimation of switching between multiple apps to date. I use this awhole lot when doing bills, swipe to notes, swipe to calender, swipe the boa app then swipe back to calender. Very slick, its crazy but for the life of me (and Ive used android, and apple for months at a time as a personal device) I dont see anything as slick except for WP7 honestly, and even that comes up short when compared to webos. Though I understand webos will continue to get heat until the next wave of devices come, and if they are a success people will jump back on their nuts, like they never left. Its our poor society we live in people
    I just ordered an Epic after having my Sprint PRE for 17 months... I did it for two reasons... First is APPS! I want my Slingplayer back (had it on my Treo) and FLASH!

Second is speed. My PRE is SLOOWWW! and data service is flaky lately, which may be radio issues... But instead of getting my PRE replaced, I am going to try Android and Epic. Will post next week when the Epic arrives and I activate..
  9.    #29  
    well the flash does not work yet on the Epic after the next android update it should.
    I don't fault anyone for switching for apps. I am surprised that palm just don't pay these developers to get it done
    That's my biggest issue with HP/Palm at this point.. Windows Phone 7 came out and Slingplayer is already released for it.. Android is up to 200k apps over roughly the same lifetime as WebOS that is at 5K apps. Heck, even Windows Phone 7 is up to 1000's of apps within months of release.

In terms of keyboard form-factor, I am looking forward to the larger keyboard. I found the Pre keyboard to be a challenge to type on - it was just enough smaller than the Treo755 keyboard to be difficult to use.

Oh, and lets not discuss boot time..... I got a spare battery for my Pre and dreaded having to swap it out... The Sprint Store Rep took out the battery on his Epic and put it back in. The phone booted in what seemed like 15 seconds.

I'll suffer some of the deficiencies of the UI of Android compared to WebOS for what will be gained in speed and Apps.... I expect when my next upgrade window arrives next January, WebOS will still not be over 10,000 apps.

I used to be the largest supporter of WebOS and Palm, but I can only wait so long.....
    the number one reason that I do not make the Android jump is phone size. the Evo is about the size my Samsung i300 was. Just can't convince myself to stretch out my suit pockets.
    Last edited by AOW; 01/02/2011 at 09:27 PM.
    Thought same thing, but no streching, how can it, its thinner,evo that is. If I put i my pocket,, there is less of a bulge.

Evo-lution
    AS tiny as I am, I have no problem with the size of the Evo, either.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    The epics hardware is similar to the pre. Plastic.. plastic and more plastic but just solid plastic. The os just needs a little bit of getting use to. Of course its not true multitasking but it doesn't restart on its own and you wont have to worry about a lot of things that you have to worry about with the Pre. You should just get an evo. Its a lot more solid! But im going to comeback to Webos when hp palm gets their act together. Webos is the best os out there. It just needs support....

Sent From Tapatalk.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
  16. TZeruk
    I have a long, winding road to webOS.

I purchased the initial iPhone back in 2007 and stuck w/ Apple until 2010, when I switched from AT&T to Sprint (can't beat 69.99 everything). I got the Epic 4G and at first enjoyed Android (lots of control over that OS) ... but as time wore on, so did Google. I really dislike the fragmentation of the OS ... and it felt like the more features they've added, the messier it's gotten. I also hated the phone itself ... way too big for my personal taste and I'm not a fan of sliding landscape keyboards (too much bulk).

I got my wife (who is a Verizon user) and Palm Pre Plus last year and have been thoroughly impressed with webOS since then. It's just a beautiful, clean, easy-to-use interface. I'm also really impressed with Palm's hardware, granted it's getting old now.

So I recently purchased a Pixi minus to replace my Evo and can't say I'll ever go back to Android. I just really hope HP/Palm hits a homerun this week at CES.
    Last edited by TZeruk; 01/03/2011 at 03:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I also went back to my Pre minus from a Evo after a couple of months, let me say the Evo is a awesome phone, little pc in your hand but I dont know what it is, maybe Im getting older and just want something with a simple, pretty UI for my mail, sms etc..WebOS does this for me.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    When you say one action you mean the swipe action? Because Home + icon press is simpler then swipe left 10 times to get to the app on the end of the card deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    When you say one action you mean the swipe action? Because Home + icon press is simpler then swipe left 10 times to get to the app on the end of the card deck.
    I take it, many of you people dont know about the 2nd swipe action. You basically tap the background after hitting the swipe button and that makes the apps zoom out even more. Then with a single flick you can go from one end to the other of your open cards. Or you can have a slower flick and go 3-4 apps over.
    I have had over 15+ cards open at once and its very easy using the extra zoom option.

I have a Pixi minus on sprint network and my wife recently got a Evo 4G. I wouldnt give anything to have an android phone. I look at hers and just bleh its so clunky to navigate anything. Shes constantly asking me how to do things on it .. I try and answer and figure out sometimes but its just a PITA.
    Webos is much easier to use.
    Once you grasp the concept of the gesture area...you basically have the entire OS down.
    Heck, her phone doesnt even have a nice memo app like webos, all the 3rd party memo apps Ive briefly looked for her ... looks like toy junk programs. A pity really...
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    I take it, many of you people dont know about the 2nd swipe action. You basically tap the background after hitting the swipe button and that makes the apps zoom out even more. Then with a single flick you can go from one end to the other of your open cards. Or you can have a slower flick and go 3-4 apps over.
    I have had over 15+ cards open at once and its very easy using the extra zoom option.
    BTW webOS 2.0 removes this zoomed out view.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast